PDA

View Full Version : Need help with walk circle

AlexYaremchuk
06-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Hello, people. I like totally need some help here.
We are trying to create a very realistic looking walk for a human soldier in a game. I keep getting feedback from my team that the character looks rigid while he walks. Or he is too bouncy or something else. Can you please take a look at the .bip file and tell me what wrong with him. I really really need pro's comment. (He has a long gun in his hands but it's not displayed here.)

Trazza
06-20-2006, 03:34 AM
The first thing is that it looks too quick. Especially if the soldier is going to have all of his gear on you have to consider the weight that he is carrying. I find it's useful to take a walk and work out the pace that you want the character to move then try and replicate that beat with your key poses. Think of the weight of the gun as well. It will move up and down with each step so you should have a bit of give in his arms to compensate for that.And put some movement in the spine and head as well on the z axis so you can get the feeling of weight in his body instead of it being stiff and upright.

The reason the walk looks so rigid as well is because you have all your keyframes set at even intervals and there is no overlap on your motion. I find a good way to do a walk cycle is once you have your initial key poses blocked out, copy all the keyframes to either side of the intial cycle (so you'll have three loops happening) then you can grab all the keys on the head for example and offset them to the body. And by having the other cycles on either side of the original one you still end up with a nice loop with overlapping movement in the middle.

Good luck with it.
t

AlexYaremchuk
06-27-2006, 07:53 PM
Thank you very much for your time. And sorry that it took me so long to replay. I got the message the day it was posted, but could not get to it till now.
Its an interesting method (to triple the frames), I'll give it a try. But about the speed... the sad thing is that it has to be that fast. Or even faster so it matches the game mechanics. I been trying to add so more bouncing and the wider swing in the arms. And it seem that it works.

tagore3d
07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
Hi, Iam Tagore . I am a 3D modeler, recently started animation.
So the problem when I finish setting the poses and play it, there's a lot of jerk in the movement. Can u please help.???

CGTalk Moderation
07-14-2006, 12:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.