PDA

View Full Version : a freezing dell

gustojunk
01-13-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi guys,

I just got a call from a friend who bought one of those fancy Dell 650 workstations, with a over $6000 price tag. The computer was not arriving when it was supposed to. So he kept on calling Dell back to see what happened, finally after some run around they managed to tell him they had a confirmation of delivery 5 days ago. He then finds this huge Dell Box he fedex guy left by his barn, he lives on the country where this thing happened to be sitting there with below freezing temoperaturs all these days.

He asked me for advice about what to do. I told him not to even think about keeping a 'previously frozen' Dell, since that's just not a right start when you spend that kind of cash on a system. Am I right? Or is not really a big deal if his system was exposed to below freezing temperatures for 5 days?

elvis
01-13-2003, 10:47 PM
the dell website should tell you the min and max operating and storage temperatures for their systems.

if the machine was only stored for a few days at that temperature, there shouldn't be a problem if you let the thing reach a reasonable temperature slowly for a few days before using it. as long as all of the components are dry, everything should be alright.

i assume he purchased the dell system with the normal dell support. if this is the case, then fire up the beast and any hardware problems will be fixed or replaced by a dell tech.

gustojunk
01-15-2003, 12:23 PM
Elvis,

Thanks for your advice. I forwarded this thread to my friend and he did just what you said, and now everything works fine. Dell aslo tossed in an upgrade to his worstation support package just in case. I guess my first reaction of returning the whole damn thing was a bit overboard, but hey I like to play conservative when i come to hardware, especially because I don't know much about it. I guess is now time to benchmark his dual 2.8 xeon vs. my homemade dual 2400 athlon. I'm curious to see how much extra performance he got for almost double the budget.

Aslo a funny sidenote, he ordered 1Gb of ram and guess what Dell did? filled up all four of his dimms with 4 256 MB sticks. I just hate Dell they are so full of crap.

GregHess
01-15-2003, 02:27 PM
Feel free to point him to the benchmarks I just ran against the Dell vs Boxxtech system at 3dluvr.com.

http://www.3dluvr.com/content/maxbench.php

If he's a max user, he can run the tests himself off the max cd's to see if his system is matching or exceeding the other dell system.

(In case you don't feel like looking, the Boxx system slaughtered the dell, and cost around 1,000 USD less)

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.