PDA

View Full Version : "the Aftermath" matte painting.I need your critics and suggestions?

Velarion
06-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Hi there! I completed a new matte painting and decided to post it here. I was having to create something like this for a long time and here it is.A destroyed version of a street in my city. It seemed a bit odd to me at first,to see my everyday environment transformed into rubbles :) I'm a learning matte painter your critics will help me to improve my skills I thank you very much!

http://features.cgsociety.org/gallerycrits/209597/209597_1150674232_large.jpg

and here's the original photo of the environment. And also I found lots of rubble images and used them to make demolished parts of the buildings. Then I used custom brushes to create the landscape and dirt mood.

http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/7864/aftermathbefore8wq.jpg

JJASSO
06-20-2006, 12:21 AM
velarion this is a nice aprouching to a proffesional matte painting, the photo panorama you took, will let you do a nice camera panning if you want to animate it or something.
aereal perspective might need more levels than just that , and scale probably are wrong with those background buildings . your mood is very interesting and well done details in some part look too blury in my opinion,
this is what I think could helpo the image too look more realistic, keep up the good work

Velarion
06-20-2006, 12:19 PM
thank you very much! I'm studying everyday, I hope I'll improve my skills to a much better level.

yellowdog
06-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Hey Velarion ! Great work... nice mood and color palette choice, I love it. Makes it look creepy and a dangerous place. Nice amount of details also !! I love that panoramic picture... unusual framing and element layout make for an interesting starting point !!

I have to agree with Jaime though that there is some scale issue between the Bg and Fg elements. Some of the detail in the back are way too big in relation to the FG. There is also a feeling of "tiling" or repetition to the destruction on some building... (probably due to reusing the same destructed reference material too often?) To fix that, I would suggest widening the amount of base references you use. ( a search on the net with key words based on war damaged cities gives the best results... Belgrad, Grozny, Bagdad, Sarajevo... etc). Trashed cars on the freeway on the left would be a nice touch. And add to the story telling element.

Overall great work !
keep it up... can't wait to see more :)

:thumbsup:

yellowdog
06-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Hey Velarion ! Great work... nice mood and color palette choice, I love it. Makes it look creepy and a dangerous place. Nice amount of details also !!

I have to agree with Jaime though that there is some scale issue between the Bg and Fg elements. Some of the detail in the back are way too big in relation to the FG. There is also a feeling of "tiling" or repetition to the destruction on some building... (probably due to reusing the same destructed reference material too often?) To fix that, I would suggest widening the amount of base references you use. ( a search on the net with key words based on war damaged cities gives the best results... Belgrad, Grozny, Bagdad, Sarajevo... etc). Trashed cars on the freeway on the left would be a nice touch. And add to the story telling element.

Overall great work !
keep it up... can't wait to see more :)

:thumbsup:

yellowdog
06-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Yikes !!! ... I apologise for the double post.... server problem gave me an error message as I was posting.

Could any moderator remove a copy ? please !!?

yellowdog
06-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Yikes !!! ... I apologise for the double post.... server problem gave me an error message as I was posting.

Could any moderator remove a copy ? please !!?

Kutkin
06-21-2006, 10:20 PM
LOL yellowdog! Double double post:D

Great image, Velarion.
Like it a lot.
Agree with the comments above.
I like the composition.

Keep it up

Velarion
06-23-2006, 11:06 AM
thanks very much friends I realized things after I completed the painting unfortunately :( Yes I must really use more photograph reference and I will be careful for the foreground and background element sizes in future,thanks kutkin&benoit:beer: (hehe double double post:))

cezmikardas
06-25-2006, 08:39 PM
good work
iyi iş dostum

Opaxity
06-26-2006, 10:36 PM
I dont understand how theres a scaling problem. couldnt it be that the background buildings are even bigger than the forground building, and so its only a fraction smaller when comapred with the fg building?

@ picture, its nice, i like to mood/tone. i agree with the tiling.

nice job!

Velarion
06-27-2006, 09:09 AM
yes maybe there may be bigger buildings but ehm.. the look of that buildings is the same as which are on foreground.hehe sharp eyes can see that :) I'll be careful in future :) (cezmi saolasin)

CGTalk Moderation
06-27-2006, 09:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.