PDA

View Full Version : Need a few definitions please.....

guitarplayer6516
06-18-2006, 07:51 PM
hey guys, i see quite a few terms on this site and on others about animation that i dont understand. i am a noob so please be nice. by the way, i plan to get "the animator's survival kit" very soon, so if you were wondering, yes i do know of it and want to get it.

right then! heres the list of terms.

-line of action
-offsets
-(this is more of an explanation) on keith lango's pop-thru tutorial (http://www.keithlango.com/tutorials/old/popThru/popThru.html), for the first part of the tutorial, he does something to make his animation just go to each pose without any tweening. then he says something about making his curves have linear interpolation and then they tween. can anyone clear this up for me?

thats all for now! thankyou for all the support.

Trazza
06-19-2006, 07:43 AM
OK some of these are a little tricky to explain without a pencil and paper but i'll do my best.

The line of action is basically exactly what it implies. It's the main line of energy that runs through a character. So for a basic example you may have a character jumping and have two key poses. One of him coiling up in anticipation before leaping into the air and the other one of him stretching up in mid air. The first poses line of action will be curved and coiled up and the second one would be straight up through his body. Like i said it's a basic example and hard to describe without a pencil and paper but hopefully that might make some sense to you.

Offsetting is pretty much overlapping your keyframes so everything isn't moving at once mechanically from one key pose to the next.

and finally...linear tangents is when the speed between two key frames is constant with no slow in or out on the motion.

Hope they make sense. Once you get the Survival Kit a lot of other things should become clearer for you as well.

Take it easy
t

guitarplayer6516
06-19-2006, 12:08 PM
alright thanks i get it now.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2006, 12:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.