PDA

View Full Version : Using 2D Animation in Games and Screensavers?

mindovermatter
06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
I don't know if many people remember but in the early 90's a couple screensavers came out that were really cool. One was the Terminator 2 screensaver where we watched a factory assemble Terminators. The other screensaver was Johnny Castaway (released by Sierra) where we watched the life of a castaway named Johnny (obviously)

My question is, I'm trying to make 2D raster (ie not Flash) animations to use in a games or screensavers but have not found an efficient file to store it in. AVI's and MOV's are clunky (and not always supported), GIF's can't have more than 256 colors, and MNG isn't widely supported. What is a good, quick, efficient file good for 2D animations (sprites)?

Not only that does anyone know a good platform to create these programs? Or would you have to code from scratch?

Does anyone know what they used to make these old screensavers? Any advice or know how?

Thanks for your time,

mindovermatter

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2006, 08:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.