PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Middle Earth - In the dark - BrainFaucet

BrainFaucet
01-13-2003, 07:17 PM
Okay, just wanted to try and lighten the mood a bit or sommat.

Ideas:

1) Creeping into a cave with rocks 'n such sword drawn. Creeps in slowly and cautiously then a bunch (two or three) of friends hop out from behind rocks and suff confetti falls from the ceiling along with a sign saying "Happy birthday." Main character is spooked by the surprise but ends up laughing with the other two friends.

2) Walks into a cave sees a big hole. Looks in curiously. Picks up a rock off the ground and tosses it in. the rock falls from above the frame onto the ground behind him. Does the rock tossing again (same results) then jumps in himself only to fall from above frame onto the ground behind where he was standing.

The second is much more doable (three or four characters is a lot to animate) but I dunno... I'll prolly decide tonight... any opinions or other suggestions?

Thanks

dmcgrath
01-14-2003, 12:18 AM
1) Too many characters might spoil the animation for you and make it so you will never finish it. You are right.

2) Do this one!!! It sounds like it would be funny the way you have it but...
It would be much funnier, if the rock fell on his head. Then maybe make him look up into the sky and have it hit him square in the nose or land on his foot on the second throw. You have a good idea, but you should push it farther.
Not to mention, it's better for us to see you animate someone getting hit.
The trick is to keep it as simple as possible.
Good luck!

BrainFaucet
01-25-2003, 10:17 PM
Here's my storyboard.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/conch58/previs.gif

What do you think?

Br1
01-26-2003, 12:12 PM
Hey, nice and funny animatic ! Go for it, I really like it already !

srv
01-27-2003, 01:48 AM
Hey Brainfaucet,
Nice one.
Here's a thought, don't know if its a good or bad thought but here it is anyway, how about in the scene you can see a ceiling above your character and the corresponding hole that he, and the objects fall from.
Your animatic made me think of the Neverhood:cool:

Stephen Vyas
01-27-2003, 04:54 AM
Ahh nice to see just a plain simple fun sketch... The second time he throws the stone in, try having him lean over the edge to see where it goes.. then as it hits him in the head he could loose balance and fall in... Might seem a bit more convincing but it's really just nitpicking from me , the nitpicker! :)

Anyways, this is gonna look good done.. Let's see s'more!

Cheers
STeve

dmcgrath
01-31-2003, 02:10 AM
I really like the beginnings of this one. I also think we need to see the hole in the ceiling. The story isn't coming across cleanly until the end.

Keep it up!

DIMO
01-31-2003, 08:54 AM
That's very funny.
I also like Stephen's idea to let him look down the hole the second time. And then getting the thing into the neck. You should think about that.

BrainFaucet
02-03-2003, 06:16 PM
Well I tried getting the hole in the ceiling to be in the shot, but the camera just doesn't seem to be capable of squeasing everything in.

I really like the idea of him looking down the hole on the second toss. I'll work that into the animatic and see how it works out.

Anyway, here's the actual cave and the lighting set up (one blue ambient light, one bright back light, and the fire light that casts shadows) The flame is a pre defined Maya fluid effect (nothing fancy)

I've started my animatic (and maybe first animation pass depending on how neat it is.)

Sorry it took so long to update, I've been a bit ill and not in the mood to do much of anything.

Lemme know what you think.

Br1
02-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Hey the set looks really nice, as did the cinematic ! I hope you're not ill anymore because I'd really like to see what's next !

Stephen Vyas
02-05-2003, 04:43 PM
Hey BrainFaucet,
Any updates?

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.