PDA

View Full Version : AM assignment - baseball pitch

lutonomy
06-16-2006, 09:49 PM
Hi everyone,

Just seeking some feedback on my current AM assignment, which is currently in the polishing phase. Thanks for looking!

Baseball Pitch (http://www.extraordinary-machine.com/video/polish3.mov) (QT, 1.2MB)

Pollo
06-17-2006, 02:59 AM
Good job, they sure do teach their students quite well it seems :)

The only thing I'd say would maybe to speed up the movement right when he picks his left leg up to show more force and anticipation. :D

lutonomy
06-18-2006, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the feedback Pollo! That change (and a bunch more) are included in the version I just turned in. I know the rendering/texturing is kind of lame - I'm waiting for renderingmentor.com to start up next... :D

Baseball Pitch (http://www.extraordinary-machine.com/video/BaseballPitchFinal.mov)(QT, 1.1MB)

Thanks for looking!!!

imamog
06-21-2006, 09:04 PM
Hi lutonomy,

What you have done so far looks great, and you've probably already submitted the animation to the powers that be, but if you decide to get back to this animation in the future, here's some ideas that might help it out:

1) Immediately after a pitch is thrown, pitchers are taught to try to get into a fielding position. The way you have it, if a ball is hit right at the guy, he would get seriously hurt.
2) He seems to be lacking confidence throughout the animation. It might be funnier if you gave him a ton of confidence before the pitch and then be even more devastated after the homer is hit.
3) There seems to be a little too much anticipation before he gets into his dejected pose at the end.

Overall, though, it looks really nice.

rblitz7
06-22-2006, 02:30 AM
Hey! it looks really good but one thing I would add is to make they guys head move real fast when ball is initially hit following the ball with his eyes, then slow down as he watches the ball fall into the stands because the ball is hit behind him in split of a second after contact with bat.

lutonomy
06-22-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for the feedback imamog and rblitz! You guys are right on with your crits.

rblitz - Having him look quickly after the ball is hit is really the main part I didn't pull off in this test - I don't like how that part just mushes into the next instead of hitting the pose strongly. But I realized it too late to change it. One of my mentors told me after a certain point of working, in order to finish the shot there's nothing you can do but animate what you have the best you can. So yes, I completely agree with your comment, maybe after some time away I'll drag this puppy out again and do some renovation.

imamog - I never thought about the switch to fielding, that's a great point. And if you notice the windup, he balks too. I thought it looked cooler though for the animation... :D And I agree with the other comments completely. Hopefully I'll get a chance to work on it some more down the road.

Thanks!!!

CGTalk Moderation
06-22-2006, 07:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.