PDA

View Full Version : The Beaver Project

jazzthief
03-12-2002, 08:02 AM
Has anyone used Beaver Project successfully from Maya to Lightwave. What are the pros and cons.

Chewey
03-12-2002, 09:31 AM
I use it occasionally. It pretty much works fine for what it's advertised to do, import models into maya, animate in maya, and export the scene back out to lightwave for texturing,lighting and rendering. btw, the skeletal rigging isn't converted over to lightwave, the deformations are applied to the lwo using .mdd files.

More and more I'm finding that Lw7b's animation tools work well enough for most of the character animation I've been creating.

Munson
03-12-2002, 06:07 PM
Yeah it works very well and is getting better. You can convert everything across, lights, camera, soft bodies, rigid body dynamics, its great. Loads of files and a bit of fiddling around is the pain but having Maya for animation instead of LW is the best advantage ( sorry Chewey ).

M.

Chewey
03-12-2002, 07:44 PM
No worries. :) Without specifics on the type and scale of the projects it's rather difficult to discuss the merits of one work flow versus another .

It's not that Maya isn't better for demanding animation duties in most cases, it's just that I can create most of my straight forward character animation in LW7b rather quickly and efficiently.

I use the beaver and Maya when the project requires it and the extra work and fiddling pain factor can be justified.

jazzthief
03-12-2002, 11:14 PM
I just like to get a better render than what Maya has to offer. Although I'm a character animator in Maya by trade using Lightwave to animate isn't something I was planning to pursue. With the exception of lighting and adding shaders/ textures. How much fiddling are we talking about? Do I have to be a Lightwave expert to figure it out.

Munson
03-13-2002, 01:37 PM
You don`t have to be a LW expert but the Beaver proj. is really designed for LW people who don`t want to use LW or Messiah to animate. I guess you don`t model in LW? The workflow is: (or how I use it anyway)
1.Model in LW
2.Texture in LW
3.Import Object into Maya and Setup character
4.Animate whatever you need in Maya.
5.Setup your objects to reference your original ones ( done in Maya, and it saves having to replace objects later in LW, I think you can set subdivs too, not totally sure)
6.Tag and export the animated scene
7.Load layout and the new .lws and press F9

:) well.. something along those lines anyway. You can export Nurbs from Maya apparently, I have never tried as I`m LW based anyway.

James Lang
03-13-2002, 04:26 PM
Anybody not tried dping this stuff with just regular POLYTRANS?

I'm pretty sure that does the whole shebang, objects/textures/animations, the lot, yes?

Chewey
03-13-2002, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by Munson
snip>

well.. something along those lines anyway. You can export Nurbs from Maya apparently, I have never tried as I`m LW based anyway. [/B]

Currently Beaver(version 20020220) doesn't export nurbs and it's unlikely that it will in the near term.

bryansclark
02-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I've just stumbled upon this, and I'm wondering if the Beaver Project works the other way around?

I've got a modeler who uses strictly Maya, and I'm an animator/texturer/renderer who uses strictly Lightwave. Will TBP let you bring Maya models into LW?

toonafish
02-25-2005, 11:49 PM
I know you can use Alias free FBX exporter to go from Lightwave to Maya or Max ( http://www.alias.com/eng/products-services/fbx/index.shtml ). It converts basic surfaces UV's, textures and even does bones including keyframes, weightmaps ( takes a while to convert in Maya ) and endomorphs, never tried to go from Maya to Lightwave though. But you might want to give it shot.

Julez4001
02-26-2005, 01:27 AM
www.ef9.com (http://www.ef9.com)

Does a lot of this via its tool: PointOven.
$99
it works with
messiah
Lightwave
maya
3dsmax and
soon XSI

U can pick up a XSI export plugin for Lw[8] now.

leigh
02-27-2005, 01:44 AM
I've just stumbled upon this, and I'm wondering if the Beaver Project works the other way around?

I've got a modeler who uses strictly Maya, and I'm an animator/texturer/renderer who uses strictly Lightwave. Will TBP let you bring Maya models into LW?

Just a model without any animation or shaders? Why not simply export an obj file? Or invest in an application like Deep Exploration for moving models between programs. I use it all the time :)

Zarathustra
02-27-2005, 01:56 PM
Faulknermano has spent some time reworking Maya2LW. Maybe you should check it out:
Link (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=204888&highlight=maya2lw)

I believe he claims everything works on PC. I think there may still be some issues on the Mac side. I'm not sure.

CGTalk Moderation
02-27-2006, 02:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.