PDA

View Full Version : open GL output?

k3yfram3
06-16-2006, 07:29 PM
hello, and TIA for all advice.

we're using some prorpietary features in LW that helps use build real-time gaming platforms. the technology invovles using the hardware (vidcard's) openGL capabilities to draw textures and transparencies (as well as lights, and some other dynamic effects). i'm attempting to make "freeze frames" of some of the elements in my scene to output for reference in other applications (like photoshop). I can easily select objects, and "render selected", but the problem occurs of the rendered frame not matching the openGL previewed frame because the rendered frame draws the lights and anti-aliasing differently than the openGL preview. is there any way to use openGL as the renderer to make these static images? i can't find any method of doing so in the camera properties or the render options. the color differential between the "rendered" file and the WYSIWYG openGL preview that you see in the viewport (which is what i need) is significant enough to be problematic for me (as i have to then readjust the rendered graphics to try to match what they "would" look like in openGL previews).
these games draw on the openGL platform, so i need the statics to match. is this possible with some built-in functionality of LW, or perhaps a plug-in?

regards

telamon
06-18-2006, 04:57 PM
you can save your previews in Lightwave (the small button at the bottom right of the interface). It is pure openGL preview. Otherwise, if you need stills, make screengrabs.

PetterSundnes
06-18-2006, 06:06 PM
And with the upcoming realtime 3d engine pimTools, you can render straight to an image sequence as well, great stuff.

k3yfram3
06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
ok, thanks again for your advice, folks.
i've tried saving images using the "preview" section.
i have a few more questions:
--is there anyway to save the preview at actual camera size rather than having it save
based on however your screen looks (ex.. i want a 1280x1024 image from camera view,
rather than the "screenshot" result i'm getting now
--is there an easy way to change the backdrop in layout to black? (for open GL previewing)?
or should i just make a black plane to lie in the bkgd?
--saving previews doesn't seem condusive to still images (avi's and quicktimes, but no stills?)
(i can use a quicktime compressor, and re-output still frames, but i'd be better if i could
just generate a targa directly from the preview---which might be what petterms was
hinting at. is there an ETA for pimTools?

thanks again,
-steve

PetterSundnes
06-19-2006, 07:43 PM
is there an ETA for pimTools? Not that I know of :)

k3yfram3
06-19-2006, 07:54 PM
thanks, petterms.
after reading up on pimTools from your link, it seems that it might be right up my alley.
looking forward to it's release.

-steve

dmaas
06-19-2006, 09:00 PM
It sounds like you might have to write a plugin or OpenGL DLL shim in order to automate this fully.

OGLE might help:
http://ogle.eyebeamresearch.org/

k3yfram3
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
thanks, dmaas.

i'd read about OGLE before, and while extremely cool, it looks like it will only rip the openGL geometry as opposed to simply making a 2D art file. i'll have to read-up on making plug-ins (me = idiot scripter/coder).
:D

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2006, 09:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.