PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting Composition Help

GustavoAccioly
06-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi there.

I am trying to get into the matte painting world and a friend asked me for this composition ( actually i donīt know if a can call it matte painting cause i didnt paint anything here ) but actually it isnt so deep and dramatic as i want.

I am posting it here so you guys could give me some advices, some ideas.

The idea here is the centered castle would be a hole new world inside it, or a place
where once you were inside it, the Rpg world would come alive in front of you,
like a magic rpg land, or a magic little piece of the world and this castle is something
like a portal, warp to this.

I know theres something missing , but canīt realize what it is.
Maybe a deeper sky, foreground elements.

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you in advance.

http://www.nexusrpg.com.br/TEMP/matte-painting-study-cgtalk.jpg

Gustavo Accioly

BrianLaFrance
06-16-2006, 10:34 PM
Hi Gustavo.

I'll take a shot, since you've got no replies. caveat: I'm no expert.

it's a very symmetric composition. some massing or grouping might help, moving one
castle further back, maybe?
perspective is off. the mid castle looks like it was shot higher than we are looking at it by
the roundness of the tops of the parapets (sp?). also, it might be alot more interesting to
orient the castle so it's not perpendicular to the camera, get some perspective to it.
The field of grass could use something to break it up: vegetation, undulation... unless
your friend is going to put something there later. same with the sky, some clouds would
work wonders.

lighting-wise, there is not much tying the castle to the rest of the bg. Some hilights on the vegetation, etc. might help.

hope this helps,

Brian

JJASSO
06-16-2006, 10:49 PM
welcome gustavo

there are a lot od isues you have to consider before doing a matte painting,
you have to think what composition need your image to look real good, I mean in this case the focal point is the castle, but it does not have to be in the center of the image , you can lead the viewer adding elements , definitly I think you need some foreground elements, and the perspective is a little off, the foreground grass has one, the main caslte does not match the background horizon line. I would recomend a better sky with some clouds, make it look more interesting,
the lighting is a little bit wrong each element has it's own light direction ,
I suggest this
go to the tutorials thread , start researching for tutorials, inspiration , rules of landscape composition , all that will help improve your work a lot

GustavoAccioly
06-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Thank you BrianLaFrance and jamesvfx very much.

Yep i agree with both of you. This composite is all wrong
and has no vanish point and the horizon line is mistaken,
also when i look at it, my eyes leads to nowhere, it is too
armonic and whitout perspective, its has no 3D, no deep on it.

I think i gonna start over and make something else more
elaborated and planned. it looks like i forgot about composition
and took elements, did some mask on it and just has throw
the elements on the canvas.

Thank you a lot, definitly i going to star over and make a new one.
Really appreciate your help.

Gustavo Accioly

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2006, 01:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.