PDA

View Full Version : Help rigging a ball

coldfuse[ofX]
06-16-2006, 04:02 PM
Hey guys i am currently using 3dsmax 6 and well i wanna start some animation, of course i wanna start from the fundimentals and begin with animations using a ball.

Now i have found some wondeful files with ball riggs which actually seems a little harder then first thought. One difficulty is the links of bones, which with the ball i have are invisible. So i can deconstruct to replicate, wondering if someone could help go through with me how to rigg a ball. thank you!

FabioMSilva
06-16-2006, 06:42 PM
i've seen your file. Since i'm no expert in rigging, i don't feel confortable enough to give you advice on the skinning of it, i hope somebody does tough. But i am wondering, why to rig a Ball? For the squash&stretch? Wouldnt it be easier to use a modifier like taper or something when animating it?

Anyway, good luck:)

riri284
06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
i did one if you want.
if you are using 3ds max, here it is

http://www.richardadenot.com/downloads.htm

PEN
06-28-2006, 04:22 PM
Funny that one of the simplest things it would seam can result in a very complex rig. Have a look at the latest ball file that I developed for a current project that I'm on.

Ball Rig: 9 meg MOV (http://paulneale.com/technical/ballRig/PEN_ballRig.mov)

Sorry, no I'm not going to share the file.

riri284
06-28-2006, 05:55 PM

riri284
06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
i would supposed wou wouldn't share that... could you give a little detail about it though? i suppose it involve some scripting...

PEN
06-29-2006, 02:45 PM
There is a thread on the Max boards where I have given some more information. I don't want to hijack this thread.

Squash-n-Stretch
06-29-2006, 06:09 PM
i did one if you want.
if you are using 3ds max, here it is

http://www.richardadenot.com/downloads.htm

I tried this; it's great thanks. One question. Where did you get that model and rig you used for the run cycle tutorial. I recognise the head...everybody seems to have a model similar to this in their animation reels. Where are they getting it! :D

Also, does someone who wants to use that ball rig in their reel have permission as long as they credit you?

riri284
06-29-2006, 07:03 PM
the ball rig, i made it on my own... they running guy, he is called lowmax (look for that on google) , i think you can use them as long as you mention it at the end of your reel (anynody correct me if i am wrong)

IkerCLoN
07-01-2006, 12:54 AM
Riri284, as long as you mention who did LowMax in your reel, I think there will be no problem at all ;-)

I did a simple ball rig some time ago, and I wanted to share it with you. It's a replica (well, a very hand-made-and-cheap one) of Miguel González's (a.k.a. lichiman) rig for Maya. It's not perfect, but I did a couple of exercises and it worked quite fine.

If you want, I think I might write a little document about how I did it. As I said, it's a very "cheap" rig, but since I used it for animation, I think it's able to be used for another person too! ;)

The only handicap... well, it's for MAX 8. I have to take a look to the rig, but maybe I could replicate it for MAX 6. It depends on several things...

TheSolidSnake, I think that the key of rigging is CONTROL. Animators want to have all the stuff under control. You can animate a ball with some modifiers, but "comfortable" rigs are easier to play with, and faster to work ;)

Squash-n-Stretch
07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the rigs and advice everybody.

coldfuse[ofX]
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
Hey since i started this up i hadn't checked on this in sometime due to LIFE, but coming back wow there has been a great response. I would like to thank everyone here who has been really kind enough to share and guide. It really does mean alot to help others who are really intrested.

So thank you all very much now its time to go through all these wonderful links and see if it may help me, rig what seems to simple a ball....

CGTalk Moderation
10-06-2006, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.