PDA

View Full Version : separating body parts

platypus
06-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I am completing a character model, and was planning to separate out the poly faces for the indivual body parts (ie head, hair, limbs, torso all separate)... So, for instance, I select the faces that make up the arm, go to 'edit poly > extract' and then 'polygon > separate'... but then, when I go to smooth the model out again, the open edges of the individual parts stay square. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for how to get the indivual pieces to smooth the way that they would if still in one single piece (no funkiness at the border edges). thanks.
----------------------------

edit >>> answered my own question... just toggle the "keep border" switch when smoothing. thanks everybody.

Visualz Sphere
06-16-2006, 06:20 AM
Did you try closing the closing up the faces where the open edges are at? I would give that a try. You may also try using subds if you are interested in that as well.

Hamfam
06-16-2006, 07:55 AM
Go to Smooth options, you probably have keep geometry borders/keep hard edges (I think that's what they're called) selected, see if unticking them works.

Six60Sicks
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
If you want the two surfaces to line up perfectly i would say you need to smooth the model and then seperate it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-16-2006, 05:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.