PDA

View Full Version : Life drawing sessions in Toronto!

RadicalCypher
06-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Hey Cgtalkers,
I'm currently looking for a classes or even "drop-in" figure drawing sessions anywhere in the GTA ( greater toronto area ). Please , If anybody has any info let me as soon as you can.

Eternally Greatful,

Radical_Cypher.

Rebeccak
06-15-2006, 08:20 PM
Hi there,

Isn't Sheridan College (http://www1.sheridaninstitute.ca/corporate/campusinfo.cfm) in / near Toronto? Bobby Chiu teaches evening courses there, I am sure he would be happy to help you locate a good course. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

kary
06-15-2006, 08:43 PM
If you're downtown, or looking for pure drop in, there should still be sessions at OCAD on Queen and McCaul. I think it usually runs around 7$ for a 3 hour session to cover model costs (I wouldn't swear to that amount though, been out of the city for a little while).

In terms of courses going with Rebecca's line of thought would be good, Bobby Chiu would know who to recommend. It comes down to the quality of the teacher and they vary quite a lot ;)

RadicalCypher
06-15-2006, 11:06 PM
Reccack: I actually went to sheridan for 1 year for their art fundamentals course. Unfortunately its about 1 hour away from where I live and 40 min away from toronto. This Bobby chui, does he have an account on cgtalk?

kary: Unfortunately OCAD is no longer holding those drop-in sessions :P

Thanks alot for responding so quickly! Much appreciated.

Rebeccak
06-16-2006, 12:27 AM
Radical_Seifer,

Ah, okay, I see! :) Bobby does indeed have an account here, definitely check out his great Creature Painting Tutorial here:

TUTORIAL - Creatures by Design - by Bobby Chiu (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=360426)
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=360426

He's very friendly, you might try emailing or pm'ing him regarding suggestions for something closer. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

RadicalCypher
06-16-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey all,

Apparently, I received some incorrect information. OCAD DOES hold drop-in sessions for 10$ a pop. If anyone in the GTA is interested. Here is the link ;)

http://www.ocad.on.ca/Alumni/get_involved/studio_programs.htm

Rebeccack: I think I'm gonna check out bobby's sketch group in Toronto as well. Thanks for contact.

Rebeccak
06-16-2006, 07:05 PM
Radical_Seifer,

Ah, good to hear. :) Definitley post your drawings here! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

mrm83
07-15-2006, 06:14 PM
hey, so did anyone actually went to the life drawing sessions at ocad?? what is it like? i want to learn life drawing, but im a beginner.. is it possible to follow along with the class?

kary
07-16-2006, 02:39 AM
mm83: OCA will have beginner classes, but the life drawing sessions aren't them. I'm not sure if the beginner classes are run as a seperate thing in the summer or if they are the same classes that are used for foundation year.

AFAIK the life drawing sessions are not a 'teacher/student' thing -- it's more about having a chance to work with a live model at a fraction of the cost of hiring your own. You definately should be able to find something you'll enjoy in the city though :)

RedSparrow
07-25-2006, 06:43 PM
I take life drawing classes at the Academy of Realist Art in Toronto and it has excellent instruction in figurative life drawing. It costs a bit more than OCAD because you get intense amounts of instruction but believe me...after four years of art in University I have never learned how to draw the figure as well and learned so much in such a short time as at this school. Its worth checking out. www.academyofrealistart.com

You can get off at the Dundas W. Subway and take the 40 Junction bus.

ThomasDraws
08-07-2006, 08:24 AM
A couple of other places to investigate in Toronto are Artists 25, and the Toronto School of Art (TSA).
Artists 25 is a private space dedicated to figure drawing. Their sessions run 2.5 hours, for either $7 or $8- per session, as follows:
Tuesday evenings- short poses
Thursday evening-long portrait pose
Friday evening-long figure pose (for 3 consecutiive weeks)
Saturday day- 1 pose, morning+aft. (for 2 consecutive weeks= 10 hrs w/model)
They are located in the West end of downtown, and can be found in the phone book, or by asking around at other open sessions ). No classes though, only open sessions.

The Toronto School of Art's thrust is more contemporary than the Academy of Realist Art, and offers good life drawing and lots of other classes at a variety of levels throughout the year. Plus they have run some of Toronto's most long-running open life drawing classes. 3 hours per session, $8 per session, as follows:
Thursday nights - short poses
Friday nights - short poses
Sunday Morning- short poses
Sunday Afternoon - long pose
Sunday night- short poses
TSA is located downtown west-central
More complete details at www.tsa-art.ca

There are also other, more offbeat or less institutional options. You could look up the "Heliconian Club" in the phone book- they have some daytime sessions, though the dowager quotient might be high, or have a look at the Vita Brevis Studio Gallery, online at www.vitabrevisstudiogallery.com Slightly north-west of downtown core, it has a Wednesday night open session with short poses.

N.B- when looking into life drawing sessions - and classes, besides the Wired, the two best resources are two a) ask at the local art stores and B) when you do find a drawing session, ask the models for suggestions. Models work at all these places, so they are a goldmine of information on the subject.

softdove
05-01-2007, 07:52 PM
Lucs sculpture also has modeling on Wednesday nites for three hours.. the cost is 12.00 and its at greenwood and danforth.... one block east of the subway on greenwood north , so very convenient. Its a professional location. The modelling starts at- 3minutes sessions... and progresses to 2 -20 minute poses...
Tell Luc you heard about it from Janice.

softdove
05-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Lucs sculpture also has modeling on Wednesday nites for three hours.. the cost is 12.00 and its at greenwood and danforth.... one block east of the subway on greenwood north , so very convenient. Its a professional location. The modelling starts at- 3minutes sessions... and progresses to 2 -20 minute poses...
Tell Luc you heard about it from Janice.

Dreamy Kid
05-18-2007, 12:49 AM
i'm planning to come to artists25 life drawing session anytime soon, i'm on summer vacation so got more free time i think. so if any of you plan to come maybe we can meet up :)

JudyTrembley
09-23-2007, 11:05 PM
There's a new group in Toronto, it's for artists of all levels from total beginner to professional. I haven't actually attended any of their sessions yet but here is their site

http://groups.google.com/group/toronto-figure-drawing-group

Last I checked its free to join and the models are amateurs.

Chuster
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
There is also the Neilson Park Creative Centre in Etobicoke. Open life sessions are hosted by the Etobicoke Art Group.

http://www.neilsonparkcreativecentre.com/

http://www.etobicokeartgroup.com/

They run 2-1/2 hour sessions on Tuesday nights from 7:30 til 10 pm. Mostly 1/2 hour poses. It's a tad out of the way and not easy to access if you do not drive. It cost $12 per session. Pricey compared to others.
The sessions do not run year-round but I believe the next round starts on Jan 8th, 2008.

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2007, 08:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.