PDA

View Full Version : Walk and quick question

guitarplayer6516
06-15-2006, 04:01 PM
heres my first walk. (did NOT go well rofl) i need some serious help with this one. lol. if anyone could tell me a good way to start a walk or its just the ol' practice makes perfect method.....
http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=4BD81CF607B00173

question:
say i wanted to loop this walk, how would i go about doing that. Take victor navone's Alien song (http://www.navone.org/Media/Movies/AlienSong_mp4.mov) for example. how did he keep that same, continuous walk going for the whole thing? did he just do every frame, or did he copy and paste, or what?

thanks for all the help!

Chiko
06-15-2006, 04:48 PM
There is a great tutorial on walk cycles in the book 3d character animation by Kyle Clark. It's one of my favorite animation books.

To make it loop the first and last frames have to be the exact same pose. You want to set the initial position. Then, at the halfway point you swith both legs, so that if animated it just looks like they are shuffling back and forth. Then at each quarter you set the down position to offset the up positiong, creating and walk that goes up and down.

Man I hope that makes any sense :/ I'm bad with words. I'm sure others can helps you out more with this. Remeber the graph editor is your friend. Dont be afraid to edit the curves for more smooth animation so you don't get so many pops.

wtoddk
06-16-2006, 09:06 AM
to make a walk cycle loop, I animate the first cycle, obviously, then I set the "out-of-range" curves for all body parts except the pelvis and feet, to LOOP. Then I set the Out of range of the pelvis and feet to RELATIVE REPEAT. That way the the pelvis and feet loop their animation cycle, but displace in space at the same time

guitarplayer6516
06-16-2006, 12:00 PM
hey, skyboy, sry but could you be more specific when you say setting the "out of range ones" into loop. how/where do i do that?

tRAYcer
06-18-2006, 05:39 AM
if you slow it down the character looks like he should be falling on his butt, lean forward. You should explore its weight, and move the hips as well. If you want a reference for walkcycles that makes it really easy go spend 40 bucks at borders and pick up The Animator's Survival Kit. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0571202284/002-7359937-8295217?v=glance&n=283155) It's worth every cent. And every pro has it in their library!

Good luck!
tRAYcer

xerxesLim
06-18-2006, 06:15 AM
For a walk cycle, i think ur pelvis ned to animate it up and down or a smooth curve better then a straight line. Additional with the present of pelvis animation can gain weight for the charater. Good luck :)

wtoddk
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
hey, skyboy, sry but could you be more specific when you say setting the "out of range ones" into loop. how/where do i do that?

Are you using 3ds max? I'm not sure about Maya or other programs, but in 3ds max, "out-of-range" is the term used for the animation/movement of an object AFTER or BEFORE the actual keyframes. Types are "loop", "linear", "cycle", "relative repeat", etc.

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2006, 09:23 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.