PDA

View Full Version : Alf Character/Rig Walkcycle Animation

tRAYcer
06-15-2006, 05:08 AM
Hi All,

This is my first shot at animation. I finally decided to turn to character animation instead of modeling. This is an atempt based off of examples in The Animator's Survival Kit. I'm curious what you think? Let me know good/bad, something to work on. I just want some feedback. Thanks to Mr. Motion for the best free character/rig out there!

It's on YouTube...look up alf walkcycle maya....or follow this link (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8136166094657487333)!

tRAYcer

CoreyJAvitar
06-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Good beginning!
I like the character, and good secondary motion on the head!
always remember weight and balance. When you are stepping on one foot, your weight has to be mostly over it, or you will fall down. Don't neglect the front view when animating!
A good way to learn for a walk cycle is going to an art store near you, and picking up a book on animating hand drawn characters. I suggest ones by Walter Foster, and then you can see the key poses of their walkcycles.
It depends upon what style you are going for too, if you want something cartoony, the motions will be faster, and very exhagerrated. If you are going for real life, mabe try using a vide referance of someone on a treadmill. There are small subtleties that need to be there to convince the viewer of life.

Good luck!
I'm waiting to see more!
Murphy

Capel
06-16-2006, 12:04 AM
it's a decent start. i disagree with the "nice secondary motion on the head" comment. i don't think it's nice. the walk looks pretty standard, like he's not really feeling any sort of emotion, just walking. but that's fine. the head makes him look like he's bobbing to some music, in which case, the body needs to match. if i were you, i'd tone the head way down to match the body and just go for a normal walk for your first attempt.

that's great that you're using the animators survival kit. that book is amazing. you don't need to "go to an art store near you, and pick up a book on animating hand drawn characters" cuz you already have one! you'll notice that richard williams talks about something called "the successive breaking of joints". pay attention to the arms and you'll notice they don't really look like they're swinging. you need to offset the elbow joint from the shoulder/bicep joint, so that your breakdown (the position of the arm between your extremes) appears to be broken. the forearm should be slightly bent backwards, like it's lagging behind. in reality, the arm would be broken, but fortunately it's just a bunch of polygons. I'd also think about toning the arms down a lot. just make this a basic walk since it's your first.

those are just a few suggestions. there's a heck of a lot more that goes into a good walk. but don't get discouraged. walks can be really hard to do correctly. you're off to a good start. keep on truckin'.

tRAYcer
06-17-2006, 02:42 AM
Thank you both for your critique. I'll give it another round and put it up again. Any suggestions for arm sway? keep them down? swing in front/back? How about bounce in the step?

Here it is again with a 5 second clip. (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8136166094657487333)

Thanks Again,
tRAYcer

lemonyfresh
06-20-2006, 10:46 PM
Need more follow through in the arms

BOY1DA
06-21-2006, 12:24 AM
Good start, I think the torso is a bit stiff.

But I'm not an animator so can't really say.

I'm trying to learn how to get a good walk cycle myself.

GOOD LUCK !

AlvinCamidge
06-23-2006, 09:36 PM
good start! Just put in a little hip and upper body motion "that will help fix your a little stiff upper body problem"

CGTalk Moderation
06-23-2006, 09:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.