PDA

View Full Version : Rigging a Nurbs character

RYGUY182
06-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Hey all, First of all im using maya and rigid binding a nurbs character (for a class project)

He's made up of multiple pieces (ex. his arm has like a cloth bracelet thing and are 2 separate objs.) The problem is that after I bind and try to use the edit membership tool to tweak the bind, it won't work correctly. I shift drag to select the points I want added to the joint and they will turn yellow but they dont change the way they deform, as if they were still part of the other membership. And when i check the cv in th component editor under rigid bind it actually has two values as if it was connected to 2 diffrnt joints. I don't think this is possible in maya because I thought only smooth bind could connect to multiple joints.

Also, when I want to remove it from a joint I ctrl drag to select the cv and it turns red like it should, but when i select a different joint then reselect the one i just edited, the cv I just removed has somehow reapplied itself back to the joint as it has turned back yellow.

This is not just happening there, it also does it w/ the head area, where there are more multiple pieces. I dont know if something is wrong w/ my skeleton, or if there's a prob w/ rigging multi. objs like this. Im used to rigging poly's and I have never had a prob like this b4.

Please help, I will be 4ever greatful!!

thnx in advance - Ryan

forflowers
06-15-2006, 10:51 PM
im not sure about rigging nurb characters, but why dont you creat a poly wrap deformers on it and skin/rig that instead.

RYGUY182
06-19-2006, 01:48 AM
Yea, I dont see why that wouldn't work but then i gotta go and create the whole character out of poly's. I guess I could just convert the nurbs to polys and scales them. That would probably work, but i was playing around a lil bit more and found that its a nurbs issue. I created a dummy scene, a cylinder and torus bound to a simple skel chain and i ran into the same issue.

To solve it I was just going to bind the main nurbs mesh to the entire skel, then bind the additional objs to the individual joint. That seemed to work. I dunno exactly what the issue is but im sure ill come across the answer later down the road when im not looking for it.

Thnx 4 the response!!
-Ryan

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2006, 01:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.