PDA

View Full Version : M. Night Shyyamalan's Lady in the Water FULL TRAILER!

RobertoOrtiz
06-14-2006, 08:05 PM
>>LINK<< (http://ladyinthewater.warnerbros.com/cmp/trailer.html?id=trailer&type=windows&speed=500000)

-R
Wow looks cool!

LiquidMetal
06-14-2006, 08:35 PM
Wow looks cool.I saw a documentary about Night and there was som crazy stuff about the ideas of his movies.I forget what most of it was about but most of his stories are from spirits he speaks to or past experiances or something like that.Also,Im pretty sure every single one of u thinks that ending sequence of the trailer where the guy comes out of the water and shakes his full head of hair free of water is hilarious.

Equinoxx
06-14-2006, 08:55 PM
looks pretty cool indeed, let's just hope that there's an actual thought out ending to this one ... I mean Sign was pretty weak with the water as was The Village, where I knew the clue about 15 minutes into the film.

ParamountCell
06-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Looks cool, I have always made it a habit to go and see his films when they are first released. Yea that shaking the water out of the hair scene is pretty funny.

Kentaro
06-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Count me in.

CHRiTTeR
06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
I dont really like it :shrug:

JeroenDStout
06-14-2006, 11:27 PM
The trailer gives away a lot... hm. And it's not really great.

I really loved The Village, though, very tense for me.

rblitz7
06-14-2006, 11:49 PM
The dog/wolf things seem kind of stupid but Paul Giamatti is a great actor so I might go check it out.

Joss
06-15-2006, 03:58 AM
Yep, I see they casted Bryce Dallas Howard again which is ok by me.

I love the beginning of Shyamalan's films--he really sets up suspense well.

Gonna see this one.

amannin
06-15-2006, 05:45 AM
lol --- why the hell does my media player say "catastrophic failure" --- anyone else get this?

*edit* -- guess fifth click is the charm -- love that last shot with the hair :)

Jadetiger
06-15-2006, 07:24 AM
woot! I'm stoked. I hope it does better than the village. I liked the Village but people were expecting way to much from it.

ares623
06-15-2006, 07:34 AM
was that the same girl from The Village?

Layer01
06-15-2006, 07:39 AM
hehehe, if anyone's seen Robot Chicken (on adult swim) and their M.night sketches..all that comes to mind now that i hear about his movies is...."what a twist"
but that will only be funny if you have seen/heard it and the way they say it.
but its so true lol.

pogonip
06-15-2006, 08:19 AM
You know I loved Unbreakable and of course Sixth Sense but his other movies have been very mediocre to me . I'll probebly rent this one ... :shrug:

Breinmeester
06-15-2006, 08:39 AM
I love his slow intense storytelling. It always sucks me in. I like how he tells the human side of stories with supernatural themes. I think some of his films are better than others, but I do believe he is the new master of suspense.

Larrikin
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
The dog/wolf things seem kind of stupid but Paul Giamatti is a great actor so I might go check it out.

Yes Paul Giamatti is very good but does he really make a convincing Lady in the Water? (Especially with that beard?)

DDS
06-15-2006, 09:18 AM
it looks great! not specially cool though.

havokzprodigy
06-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Wow I can't even beleive this is a real movie.

simps
06-15-2006, 12:59 PM
I don't think it looks as good as his past work. I one of the few that loved Signs. Hopefully the twist, if he does a twist won't be as transparent as The Village.

Charkins
06-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Thats the chick from The Village...

The village was a total bomb, but it had great potential. This movie looks like it has some potential. But in relation to CG, it didn't really look that impressive... they should have given us more to look at. =]

RobertoOrtiz
06-15-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't think it looks as good as his past work. I one of the few that loved Signs. Hopefully the twist, if he does a twist won't be as transparent as The Village.

I am a huge fan of Night, (Hell I loved Signs), but I HATED with a passion THE VILLAGE.
Lets hope it is a return to form for him.

-R

LoTekK
06-15-2006, 03:06 PM
I skipped the Village, but have seen his others. The Sixth Sense I loved. Unbreakable I loved, but was really annoyed with the cop-out text-box ending bit. Signs was great up until the last half/third of the film. The ending sucked.

Like Roberto, I really hope he's back on form.

DrQuincy
06-15-2006, 04:33 PM
Let's make an educated prediction based on the chronology and quality of his previous films.

1999: The Sixth Sense - very good.
2000: Unbreakable - watchable.
2002: Signs - Painfully dull.
2004: The Village - appalling.

You notice the trend? Based on the deteriation in the quality of his films and that pretty dire trailer I think I'll renew my subscription to the Paint Drying Channel before watching this film.

LordDubu
06-15-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm not very compelled to see it based on that trailer.

BRUTICUS
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Let's make an educated prediction based on the chronology and quality of his previous films.

1999: The Sixth Sense - very good.
2000: Unbreakable - watchable.
2002: Signs - Painfully dull.
2004: The Village - appalling.

You notice the trend? Based on the deteriation in the quality of his films and that pretty dire trailer I think I'll renew my subscription to the Paint Drying Channel before watching this film.

I believe Signs for what it was was a great film with a very interesting twist. That twist being that the film really wasn't about aliens at all. The aliens could have been replaced by thieves, terroritsts or anything really. But being aliens the audience was convinced that this movie was simply about....aliens. For this reason, in my opinion, Signs was a breakthrough film for Shylaman. It helped secure what he is best at, tricking the audience.

Now i'm not going to say Signs was such a great movie simply because there was a twist.... The story was really about the lingering will of lost loved ones. I have personally lost several loved ones in my life and watching this movie I was convinced that Shylaman had aswell because it was captured so well. You are always wondering if that lost loved one was somehow responsible for certain things that happen in life after they are gone and I thought that it was beautiful how Signs illuminated that and in the end left it at that. Without exploiting it, simply letting that be that and letting the characters continue on with their life. Just as I have.

BRUTICUS
06-15-2006, 05:25 PM
I have to agree about the village though I didn't think it lived up to his previous films at all.

AdamHerbert
06-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Previews don't make it looks too interesting. Hopefully it will be better than The Village.

shy-guy
06-15-2006, 05:39 PM
cool, im will check this out for sure, ive liked every outing of shyamalan (some more than others), and i loved the perfomance of bryce dallas howard in the village, shes really cute and a good actress imo.

JeroenDStout
06-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Actually, I thought The Village to be really good. :shrug:

ilac
06-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Hopefully the twist, if he does a twist won't be as transparent as The Village.

I always thought the real twist in 'the village' was the hero role reversal. Ie. Bryce Dallas Howard's charater is ultimatly the hero/heroine and not Joaquin Phoenix's character. I never really thought of the ending as being the real twist...

The Village also has one of my favourite shots on film: Inside the cabin when Joaquin rushes in closing the door and pulling/guiding Bryce Howard. Something about that shot felt really magical! :)

Hopefully lady of the water will also have its rewarding moments!

mynewcat
06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
looks pretty cool indeed, let's just hope that there's an actual thought out ending to this one ... I mean Sign was pretty weak with the water as was The Village, where I knew the clue about 15 minutes into the film.

To be honest, I'm a big fan of what he does. Now that youmention it, what was the clue with the village? I dont remember there being one exact moment but I do rememebr leaning over to a lady friend and whsipering "this is set on modern times - I betcha!"
Maybe it was just the more andmore obtuse way they kept referring to 'the towns'?

LordDubu
06-15-2006, 06:55 PM
"this is set on modern times - I betcha!"
Maybe it was just the more andmore obtuse way they kept referring to 'the towns'?

Funny you say that. While I didn't guess The Village so early, I did guess Sixth Sense early on.

*SPOILER FOLLOWS*

The second the slams the door to the jewelry store I turned to my date and said "He's a dead people!" That reaction just seemed like what ghosts do in other stories... he doesn't go in and beat the hell out of the guy moving in on his wife. He slams a door and huffs off... I was already bothered by the fact he didn't speak up in the hospital when they were implying the mother was guilty of child-abuse. So the pieces all fell together right there for me.

simps
06-16-2006, 01:22 PM
I didn't guess the sixth sense twist. Mostly because I wasn't prepared for there to be a twist. That's what made it so great. Now we know he's going to put a twist in everything he does so we know what to look for it. Whenever I see his films now, I sit there and try to guess what the twist is going to be.

But Sixth Sense was just a great experience. When his ring fell to the floor I was like, "NO WAY" It was probably one of the biggest, "holy crap the carpet was just yanked from under my feet" moments in movies.

Melvil
06-16-2006, 02:41 PM
This is looking pretty interesting, I can't wait to see it.

I'm a big fan of M. Night. I think it's unfortunate that his movies have become so identified with "twists" that a lot of people miss the real meat of them. I never saw Signs as having any real twists, just an ending that really brought everything together in an interesting way(the whole restoring faith, everything happens for a reason idea). The Village is highly underrated(It's by far my favorite of his movies. I think it was terribly mis-advertised which accounted for a lot of dissapointment). If you ask me, the real twist of that movie is that the twist doesn't matter. Modern times or not, the story is about two characters in love, and nothing changes that.

What I find so enjoyable about his movies is that it's not just "twists". It's his whole style of storytelling and his ability to hide things that are slowly revealed to you as a way of changing your perspective on the story.

rstratton
06-16-2006, 03:31 PM
I might go and see it....his last few movies, Signs and The Village, were a huge let down for me...especially The Village, man it was terrible :surprised

Kai01W
06-16-2006, 03:33 PM
In retrospective I must say I felt the plot twist in the 6th sense was a little too perfect. I enjoyed "the others" much more where you constantly had this uneasy feeling of something being completely wrong but you could not really grasp it. Granted it was a different director
As others pointed out I don't really care for his twists anymore. I really enjoyed (in the way you "enjoy" horror movies) the village. Apart from the end, I think it was a good movie. When the blind woman walks into the forrest which is supposed to be filled with monsters. That was the scariest thing I have seen since ages and it totally catched me because it just underlined how much she loved the guy. When that monster finally appeared, and while we know it must be fake, it was still scary as hell, cause you somehow were not so sure anymore.
I guess I really liked the movie because of the main character. She definately reminded me of Ripley, not being a cool and sexy heroine a la Tomb Raider, but simply a reasonable normal woman who gets into a terrible situation growing stronger fighting against it.
Loved he movie for just that.

-k

edit: I really wonder what people think was so terrible about the village. I can't say it was a good/working movie all in all. It was mainly the end which was totally unnecessary. Apart from that though...

Neil
06-16-2006, 05:29 PM
Doesn't matter how many times i watch this trailer, i still don't get it. It's not working for me.
Looks very Sci-Fi channel to me.

manfriday
06-16-2006, 05:44 PM
This flick looks interesting. Hopefully it is better than the Village though.
At the end I kept expecting William Hurt to jump out of bushes and yell "And I woulda gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for those nosey kids and that pesky dog!"

Breinmeester
06-16-2006, 06:25 PM
I feel one will enjoy his films more when you don't anticapate a twist. I got the twist of 'The Village' almost from the start and still liked the film a lot, because he makes it so intense. 'The Sixth Sense' is a beautiful film, one of the best ever made, even without that twist. But yeah, that twist so "Oh my God!!! What's happening??" when the ring fell......wow!

mynewcat
06-19-2006, 07:44 AM
This is looking pretty interesting, I can't wait to see it.

I'm a big fan of M. Night. I think it's unfortunate that his movies have become so identified with "twists" that a lot of people miss the real meat of them. I never saw Signs as having any real twists, just an ending that really brought everything together in an interesting way(the whole restoring faith, everything happens for a reason idea). The Village is highly underrated(It's by far my favorite of his movies. I think it was terribly mis-advertised which accounted for a lot of dissapointment). If you ask me, the real twist of that movie is that the twist doesn't matter. Modern times or not, the story is about two characters in love, and nothing changes that.

What I find so enjoyable about his movies is that it's not just "twists". It's his whole style of storytelling and his ability to hide things that are slowly revealed to you as a way of changing your perspective on the story.

I agree, it's the themes he explores that are great. I liked Unbreakable as well, examining the hero/villain dichotomy as it did.

Although, I do disagree that the real twist in The Village is that the twist doesn't matter - it does, and as a love story I dont really think it stands on it's own - and besides, love stories are for girls.

havokzprodigy
07-22-2006, 10:21 PM
I didn't see this coming.:rolleyes:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/lady_in_the_water/

Zoober
07-22-2006, 11:18 PM
Just got back from this, I found it enjoyable. Not as good as the 6th sense, but I was a nice fantasy film.

Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of him as an actor and he played an important character in this film.

neonneo
07-22-2006, 11:39 PM
I like his films. I liked the village a lot, even though my friends hated it, but who cares. They don't understand films nor do they appericate them as I do.

I look forward to watching it and the new harry potter he'll direct.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2006, 11:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.