PDA

View Full Version : XSI on linux! :)

Vinz
06-14-2006, 01:45 PM
I finally migrated my XSI-centric workstation to Linux!

read more on my blog: http://www.slegrand.blogspot.com/

Nii
06-14-2006, 02:11 PM
Sounds pretty interesting actually. I have some questions though. What makes Linux so much better to run 3d apps? I know it is more stable, but anything else? Is it faster? Right now Windows does a pretty good job of running the app, but I don't see that many advantages that Linux offers other than stability...

CiaranM
06-14-2006, 03:00 PM
I'd love the idea of having a linux system myself, but fear that it is not well enough supported. For example, there are many 3rd party shaders and plugins that I have come to use regularly that just aren't compiled for linux. Added to that I don't know enough about shader wtiting to put together my own ones. Perhaps I'll put together a partition some day...

P.s. Vinz, I notice that you're using XSI Foundation. Is that tied to Linux on your machine or can you use the same license on Windows and Linux if you had both installed?

Nii
06-14-2006, 03:37 PM
Wait is there an actual Linux version of XSi or is Windows emulation being used?

Atyss
06-14-2006, 04:08 PM
Some aspects of Windows (like the registry) are emulated through a framework called MainWin.

Cheers
Bernard

Vinz
06-15-2006, 12:39 AM
My current XSI on Linux is still in 30 day trial. I didn't want to commit to buying it unless I could safely get it working... Previously I was using XSI adv on Windows at my old UNI labs. So I couldn't tell you how the licensing is... But I will in about 27 days :)
Thanks for the answer Atyss...
All in all, no, XSI is not going through an emulator. I'm not the kind of guy who runs emulators, because if I needed windows that bad, I would use it.

Advantages? Well to put it simply: With Linux you get faster processing generally, but slower viewport framerate... OpenGL is not as well develloped on Linux as it is for other platforms. But that doesn't mean the app runs slower, most things (like calculating deformation in the viewport and dynamics) run as fast, if not faster... I heard rendering was faster, but I havn't tested it yet.

And here's another advantage: How about the satisfaction of using what you want to use and not what advertising and mass distribution wants you to use... Although for some reason I feel like I'm the only one bothered by stuff like that.... :)

Per-Anders
06-15-2006, 01:15 AM
Well provided it is what you want and not just not what advertising and mass distribution want you to use. :)

Vinz
06-15-2006, 01:54 AM
:) Very true.
it is what I want, because UNIX has got a big enough resume for to feel like I can give it my trust for a lot more years than any other OS. I mean, Pixar, Dreamworks, ILM, Weta and NASA can't be all wrong, can they?... Well I hope...
If it had been really hard to do the switch and would've taking up too much of the time I could've spent creating I wouldn't ve done it... But it was easy... :) Like super duper easy...

Plus i don't play games, so that argument doesn't really resonate with me... But if you love your games... DON'T SWITCH!!! :)

I've always been a sucker for experimenting with new stuff, I hate being stuck in one way of doing things. Like switching from MAX to XSI for example, I had no real reason... I just did it, and learnt that way that I liked XSI more than max. Hadn't I done that that, I would've never found out that there was software out there where I could give my riggs secondary motion in 1 click!!! (soft constraints).

Anyways I'll stop talking... I'm feeling a bit sick today and I'm in a rambling mood... Better get back to work... :)

cheers

Sbowling
06-15-2006, 02:21 AM
And here's another advantage: How about the satisfaction of using what you want to use and not what advertising and mass distribution wants you to use... Although for some reason I feel like I'm the only one bothered by stuff like that.... :)

I use exactly what I want. Windows! :thumbsup: The only real reason I can think of using Linux is to render out 16000x16000 images (windows currently has a file size limitation that causes problems). As far as stability, Windows XP is just as stable as linux was when I was running it, but it's more widely supported by hardware and software manufacturers and has many more 3rd party apps and utilities. Unless you really need to hack the operating system, I can't think of a single reason to use linux (other that the file size problem I mentioned earlier) over windows XP.

Per-Anders
06-15-2006, 02:37 AM
You can render 16000x16000 on windows, it's purely down to software and memory management. Several apps support rendering to that res, and I've had much larger images in Photoshop itself (which since CS handles sizes greater than 30k even).

Vinz
06-15-2006, 02:45 AM
Hehe, good on ya Sbowling... What can I say, I'm happy using Linux, you're happy using windows... Cary on.
I'll do the same.

visualboo
06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
What distro are you running? My main beef with linux is that all the apps I need to run don't run on it. Hence... windows being my main os.

I triple boot btw. xp32, linux (ubuntu 6.06) and OSX. Those two are just tinker os's though.

Vinz
06-16-2006, 12:51 PM
Haha! Triple boot! That's insane! :)
It's kinda like, you wake up in the morning, chose a pair of socks, a shirt and your OS for the day...
-"Hmmm do I feel OSX today or more Ubuntu?... HONEY! Should I go Ubuntu with my green socks...?"

:) Anyways...

I use Fedora Core 5... Being fairly new to Linux I thought I'd go for RedHat's little brother as it seems to have the financial backing to provide good support... That said I only heard good about Ubuntu... Although, when I checked it out, I was like: "cool, Ubuntu, linux for people!!" and then there was two or three links to different types of Ubuntus, Kubuntu... and so on... That kinda scared me away... there already are too many distros, why further divide up one distro? I'm sure they have their reasons, but I didn't want to have to deal with it...

Fedora is doing great for me... :)

gent_k
06-16-2006, 02:05 PM
double post.

Sorry, cgtalk has been slow lately.

gent_k
06-16-2006, 02:07 PM
Ubuntu -> Gnome
Kubuntu -> KDE
etc.

so its more of a choice if you prefer Gnome, KDE, or another

Noratio
06-16-2006, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Vinz]Haha! Triple boot! That's insane! :)
/QUOTE]
I currently triple boot with linux fc3 i386, fc3 i386 (to be replaced maybe back x86_64) and fc4 x86_64. It is not such a big deal with linux, just manage partitions manually. Having XSI_projects on its own partiton eases the switch if you don't have file server. At any time I can change some partitions to another distro like slackware...had once.

I do have dualboot box to windoze too, just can't live without it yet and it is not all, Zbrush for one doesn't even like to write to samba, does but fails too. Support says it just is that way with zbrush.

Never thought ubuntu cause forums are filled with trouble running xsi on it. Visualboo have you ran xsi on it?

Sbowling
06-17-2006, 12:16 AM
You can render 16000x16000 on windows, it's purely down to software and memory management. Several apps support rendering to that res, and I've had much larger images in Photoshop itself (which since CS handles sizes greater than 30k even).

I can render larger than 16000x16000 in XSI, the problem is that MR can't save the image. It gives a buffer error at the start of rendering, continues rendering the entire image, then doesn't save anything. This seems to be fairly common if you search the forum. If you know of a way around this, I would love to hear it. Currently, the only thing I can think of is using an alternate OS, such as Linux or windows X64, or rendering out in regions.

Sbowling
06-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Hehe, good on ya Sbowling... What can I say, I'm happy using Linux, you're happy using windows... Cary on.
I'll do the same.

My remark was manily in response to the "what you want to use and not what advertising and mass distribution wants you to use...". I've tried out Linux and we use OSX (one of the most unstable OSes, I've seen in the past 5 yewars) on the editing machines at work. I've spent a lot of time and research on all these others OSes and honestly, I haven't found anything on them that can't be done as well, if not better in windows. That being said, I have been thinking about giving linux another shot, just to see how XSI will run on it.

visualboo
06-19-2006, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE=Vinz]Haha! Triple boot! That's insane! :)
/QUOTE]Never thought ubuntu cause forums are filled with trouble running xsi on it. Visualboo have you ran xsi on it?
Yeap. If you know what your doing, you can get xsi running on any distro of linux. That being said, it's not as easy as it is on FC. Ubuntu rules though. It's the only distro I like using. If you're interested, download the installer as it's a Live Disk also. That way you don't have to commit to anything.

I would love to hear it. Currently, the only thing I can think of is using an alternate OS, such as Linux or windows X64, or rendering out in regions.
Search xsibase for a script that chinny wrote. It saves the image to disk as it renders if I can remember correctly. He wrote it for this purpose.

Actually now that I think about it... it might have been Helge that wrote it. :) It's one of the two.

themick_g
06-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Hi,
in the list of 5.11 instalers is a 32bitLinux version, but the smp-server is available as 32bitLinux and 64bitLinux.
Whats the difference between a 64bit and a 32bit Linux? Is it like windows xp and windows xp64bit?How much GIG of ram can it adress? more than the 2GIG in windows? better AMD or intel?
thanks
mick

Devils1stBorn
06-20-2006, 12:27 AM
The idea of running on Linux is cool...really...makes me feel warm in my stomach...I've tried it...sure if you have someone who knows what they are doing you can get XSI or any 3D app to work well on Linux...thing is...I get everything I need and want out of a Windows box...don't suffer these problems...so why change...?...

With Windows...I can build and maintain my own computers...plus have a stable environment...;)

Noratio
06-21-2006, 07:30 AM
The idea of running on Linux is cool...really...makes me feel warm in my stomach...I've tried it...sure if you have someone who knows what they are doing you can get XSI or any 3D app to work well on Linux...thing is...I get everything I need and want out of a Windows box...don't suffer these problems...so why change...?...

With Windows...I can build and maintain my own computers...plus have a stable environment...;)

Happiness for everyone, if you are happy with what and how Bill provides there is absolutely no reason to switch. Even if takes allmost nothing to make it run nowadays you still need somekind of basic understanding of the tools you are using windows or linux. Still don't understand why you post this in linux thread. Wink wink.

If you're interested, download the installer as it's a Live Disk also. That way you don't have to commit to anything.

Thanks might some time install an alternative distro, not still sure of Ubuntu. LFS would take too much time from 3D to learn, so it is matter of ballancing power over the tools and output.

Nii
06-21-2006, 08:13 AM
I'll make the switch the instant Zbrush or Modo have Linux support. But I heard if you are good enough you can get anything to work on Linux. Well, I'm not good enough, and will hence just wait for the developers to release the proper versions =/...

Mudbox seems to sound like everything I ever wanted though, including Linux support, so I guess I'll wait for that to come out instead (perhaps Siggraph? =]).

Sbowling
06-26-2006, 02:35 AM
Search xsibase for a script that chinny wrote. It saves the image to disk as it renders if I can remember correctly. He wrote it for this purpose.

Actually now that I think about it... it might have been Helge that wrote it. :) It's one of the two.

Any ideas on what I should be searching for? I can't find anything using the search functions or in the plugins/scripts section.

CGTalk Moderation
06-26-2006, 02:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.