PDA

View Full Version : Recreating a PArray fracture in Pflow?

scorpion007
06-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Hi,

I tried the following:
- use a mesher object to convert the fragmented object (from parray) to a mesh.
- use those chunks as the Shape Instance in Pflow.

The problem:
- how can i get them to be emmitted in the proper positions? I dont want random chunks all over the place, i need them initially to look like they are the original mesh. Only then can they blow up.

How can i do this in pflow?

riri284
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
why would you want to do that if i may ask, your just making your life harder

Hook
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
you can only do that by scripting

take a look here
http://www.scriptspot.com/bobo/mxs5/pflow/pflow__Chunks_Basics.htm

grury
06-14-2006, 03:13 PM

What kind of a post is that?
He posted here cos, one assumes, is having problems...so if you have any a sugestions that can help, post them, otherwise thats a pretty random post.

Hey scorpion, try http://www.allanmckay.com/ under the tutorial section theres a fracture tut, that may b of some help.

scorpion007
06-15-2006, 06:40 AM

The reason is that by using PArray i have a different problem, due to its inflexability. This is documented in my other thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=369512

If pflow could fracture, it would be a far more powerful alternative to PArray, since it is event/node based, as opposed to a inflexible do-one-thing system.

supremepizza
07-16-2006, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I tried the following:
- use a mesher object to convert the fragmented object (from parray) to a mesh.
- use those chunks as the Shape Instance in Pflow.

The problem:
- how can i get them to be emmitted in the proper positions? I dont want random chunks all over the place, i need them initially to look like they are the original mesh. Only then can they blow up.

How can i do this in pflow?

You've been staring at PFlow too long. ;) Close it out for a second and get yourself a cup of coffee and a smoke.

Now that we feel all warm and fuzzy again go back to your origional object and insert a vertex exactly where you need it (it's gonna take some tweaking back and forth from PFlow and back to your Vertex). Emit exactly 1 particle from that vertex and use your rotate operator to align it. Use a seperate event for each added vertex. If you go back and clean up your geometry remember to NOT remove isolated verticies. That will give you complete control. It isn't simple and or very automated but it will force each particle/geometry instance to behave.

Sounds like a cool animation though. Make sure to post a render.

scorpion007
07-18-2006, 09:00 AM
heh, thanks :)

Though im not sure if i understand you correctly.
Are you saying i should place a vertex manually at every point a fractured piece should be, and rotate it into place? If so, then how on earth am i suppose to figure the correct position and rotation out?

Although -- what you're saying is basically what Hook linked to in Bobo's scripting tutorial, it just does it semi-automatically.

joconnell
07-18-2006, 12:57 PM
With bobos tutorial the nice thing is that it takes the position, scale, mesh and rotation of a scene obejct so if you start off with all of the chunks in the correct place then pflow will also load them in correctly aligned (remember to do a reset xform on your mesh chunks first).

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2006, 12:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.