PDA

View Full Version : Omni trouble in 3D Max

JuddWack
06-14-2006, 09:41 AM
This scene has one omni in it. The black is an outside wall which will be illuminated by moonlight, I turned it off for now. The light you see will be a tourch light comming from around that corner. You see it comes right through the wall onto the plant and the walls above and below it. This is driving me crazy.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3373/light2tu.jpg

Shadows are turned off. i have no single poly walls. I tried rendering with mr and the default render. Any help would be great.

SoLiTuDe
06-14-2006, 09:50 AM
"You see it comes right through the wall"
" Shadows are turned off "
--shadows need to be turned on for the light to be blocked by a wall :)
Edit: Also -- you could try using your attenuation settings if you really need it to not cast shadows (don't forget about include/exludes)

Rice
06-14-2006, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure if I'm following exactly but from the sound of things your omni light is illuminating geometry that should be in shadow. Turn on your shadows and it should react the way your expecting it to.

losb
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Not sure were your light is or what part that shouldn't get any light. But you can try to turn on shadows and see if that helps, or you can always say what objects to be included/excluded from a light source(Under the shadow options in a light setings, you have a button called include/exlude(that change))

JuddWack
06-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Turning on shadows for that particular light didn't work. It gives the same results. Adjusting the attenuation wouldn't work either. In order to keep light from reaching this area by adjusting the attentuation I would have to sacrifice areas of the model that should be effected. Before posting I considered turning off the two objects from recieving the light but that would cause a problem for the floor, which is also being effected the wrong way.

I took a render from another angle, this time shadows are turned on. This scene still has one light. This angle shows the light source and also that the plant, floor, and wall are all being effected the wrong way.

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6025/light025ki.jpg

JuddWack
06-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Nobody has any further recomendaitons?

meanlebh
06-16-2006, 01:46 PM
it could be possible that if the building is not one complete mesh, that you are just having some light leaks where the different sections meet....this is very comon expecially when walls don't have true "thickness" like a real wall would.

My suggestion is to try placing some extra geometry within the walls of your building to try and "seal" some of the leaks...hope this helps.

good luck.

-Brian

JuddWack
06-18-2006, 11:43 AM
Brian, thanks for your suggestions. I tried both. I inserted some more geometry to block the lighting, but it didn't affect it at all! Also combined the two meshs into one and welded where necesary, but still no change. I am so confused.

meanlebh
06-18-2006, 04:41 PM
One more thing you could try is to bevel all the edges where the walls meet so that they are all slightly rounded (rather than meeting at 90 degree angles)....this is the way that real walls work, so it is usually good practice to do so anyways, but sometimes it will also help with problems like these...anyways, I am not very familiar with max at all, so this is pretty much the extent of my suggestions....hope you find the answer soon.

-Brian

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2006, 04:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.