PDA

View Full Version : Creating Terrains video tutes FREE

IvanB
06-14-2006, 07:16 AM
Hey people...
I have made a video tute (or 2) on how to create and control terrains, using images made in photoshop...Hope it helps..
Let me know what you think.
Ivan.

http://www.esnips.com/web/TerrainTute

mdunakin
06-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Here you go, Ivan.
Part 3 of your tutorials for ya :)

This shows you how to delete unwanted terrain, so that way you don't have to
populate your Eco-System where it isn't needed and also exactly where you want it :)
All while Cropping out the areas of your Terrain that you don't want, or need all those extra polygons.

19 megs

http://www.md-arts.com/vue/TerrainCroppingEcoSystemTutorial_01.mov

Hope this helps?

Enjoy!

........................................md :)

IvanB
06-14-2006, 01:28 PM
Mark your my hero!...good on ya buddy!

Thats perfect..I guess i'd better go back to my projects and rework some of my terrains.
I'm thinking I should redo my tutorials.
Thanks again...I did enjoy!http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

nanaboso
06-21-2006, 06:41 AM
Thanks Ivan, and Mark. Please keep on making tutorials like this. I for one surely appreciate this. But why so many terrains? Couldn't you just use image maps to seperate the different ecosystems? I guess you still would have to make the river a seperate terrain but the rest I think could be made with just one. As a bonus you could make a nice blend between the woods and the mountains too.

keving007
06-21-2006, 08:25 PM
Thanks a ton for these tuts guys!! :thumbsup: This drastically increaed my understanding of setting up with different materials and ecos.

kev

IvanB
06-22-2006, 10:56 AM
Thanks people...If here is something that I can possibly share, I will continue to make tutorials. If there are any suggestion and I know how to do it I will.

Nanaboso you make an excelent point with regard to using image maps for the eco systemes..However I tried this and found that, yes you can use the image map of, for example, the rivers edge image to create an eco using variable density and the function editor, But its not acurate as a matter of fact part of the eco ended up in the river ( there would have to be too much tweaking..not so with terrain), but the major problem was, how do you create two seperate eco systems on the one terrain? I was able to set up the function to get both the rivers edge and the city populated..but I could only have the one eco system..Dont know if you can have two seperate ecos on one terrain as SIMPLY as using the terrain method...Maybe there is a way. I think the terrain method gives excelent control and acuracy. I'd like to thank MARK once again for pointing out the terrain editing part, makes all the difference ( cant believe I missed that )..
Thanks againhttp://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

phamarus
06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
To bad ..would like to see those tutorials...but..always maximum daily bandwith exceeded...wonder at what time is best suited for download...hope someone else can host these tutorials..

phamarus

nanaboso
06-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Ivan, to have more than one ecosystem you just apply a mixed material to the terrain. Each of the two materials can then have its own ecosystem, or you can make each material mixed again to have even more and so on. Here's one terrain with four ecosystems each with its own alpha map.

enochian
06-23-2006, 03:44 PM
thanks for the Tuts Guys, always appreciat the knowledge.

IvanB
06-25-2006, 05:22 AM
Thanks Nanaboso..Your right, I take back what I said earlier, It can be done...and thank you for pointing that out...Earlier I tried it by using variable density and it ends up a bit messy..It works spot on with variable scaling and the technique you pointed out...So I made a Tute and revised my second video including the technique Mark pointed out. Thanks again I've learnt heaps.

You can download the new videos. Same as the above link, I just added to it.

PS. sorry about the download limit, just keep trying.

nanaboso
06-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Thanks again Ivan, your videos are wonderfully informative. I believe that if you use density to control your ecosystems instead of scaling you'll find that you will produce less geometry. You could also use both options with a gradient edge on the scaling to get smaller trees on the outskirt of the ecosystem.

Mafx
06-28-2006, 05:43 AM
hey Ivan,

Yeh I had both threads open in different tabs and when I replied I did put it in the other one not this one.

A tut for using multiple bitmaps for different ecosystems would be GREAT.

How's the weather down in 'sunny' Melbourne anyway :)

Cheers

S.

IvanB
06-28-2006, 06:11 AM
Thats cool bloke...Its @#$% cold...I'll make the tute tonight and try to upload it..just check the link, I'll call it something cool like, "Terrain Tute 5 multiple eco systems"..hehe..

I got a few more tutes on creating a foamy shoreline...Coming soon.

Mafx
06-28-2006, 06:47 AM
Cool.. I will be definately haunting the site later waiting for the link :)

Cheers

S.

IvanB
06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
Me again...

I have completed a couple of tutes on creating multiple eco systems..Video 5 is about creating multiple ecos on one surface..I used variable density for this tute, but you can try variable scale or both..The second one (video 6) is multi eco using terrains..The example I used is a bit cheesy, but dont hold that against me...

This link is the same as the others, I just added to it.

Ivan.

Mafx
06-29-2006, 10:14 PM
very well done!! they are EXACTLY what I was looking for.

A logo I am doing sits on a plateu in a scene and that technique is exactly what I need to be able to lay out the logo from trees and rocks.

Well done :)

IvanB
06-30-2006, 03:00 AM
Thanks buddy..there is another way to go about it and I'll add that to the list...same sort of thing, but slightly different.

McMaster
07-03-2006, 01:17 PM
Hi!

Thanks for the tuts.
When you drive the mixing-proportions to 0% when editing the left eco, and to 100% when populating the right, you get the same amount of instances. You just have to do this while populating, when populating the next eco in your mix you can slide the sliders so that this material is at 100% up in the whole branch.

k00k
07-07-2006, 01:35 AM
I've just watched the multiple ecosystems tute. Great tute Ivan. But. I cant believe that Eon have made it this bloody difficult to define and ecosystems area. Alpha and noise maps? Ever heard of a spline Eon?

IvanB
07-16-2006, 02:50 AM
Hey McMaster..Thanks for that..But I dont quite get it..I tried to follow your instructions, but I couldn't get it to work..Im obviously not doing it right..Would it be possible to explain it in a bit more detail...It would be good to get it, so I can redo the tute.

Ivan.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

jgmart
07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Ivan, thank you for these tutes. They have definitely helped me. I know for myself, I would like to see a little more on creating the greyscale images in Photoshop. I have a basic understanding of the process, but I not sure about what size to make the images or when and how to use shades of grey. Anyway, thank you for sharing these, they are very well done!

IvanB
07-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Hey John...no problems, your welcome....I'll have a go at creating a tute that might help with regards to photoshop..It makes it a little tougher when theres no specific task, but I have a few ideas..I'll try to get it up this weekend. If there is something specific you want explained..Let me know..I'll post the link in this thread.

Ivan.

jgmart
07-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Ivan thank you so much. What I would be interested in seeing would be just a very simple river type scene, with banks (that'd I apply grass materials to) on either side. I normally would make a scene like that in Vue using multiple terrains on either side of a water plane. I would much rather create a grayscale image in Photoshop where I can have more control over the look of the terrain - and perhaps using different values - create some minor movement to the water. If you get a minute, maybe you can take a quick look at the most recent image I posted in the 3d gallery (After The Rain) that will give you an idea of how I dig through a terrain in some of my scenes, using just the terrain editor. Also my gallery image "Spring Mill" is kind of the type of terrain I'd like to create in Photoshop, then use in VUE. I'm sure you're busy and I don't want to take any of your time, any information you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, John :)

IvanB
07-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Hey John..
I checked out your images..awsome stuff!
Ok.. I have created a tutorial on the grayscale images. Hopefully this will give you a better idea on how they work with vue..Check out the link below

http://www.esnips.com/web/photoshop-grayscale-images

I also created a ROUGH version of your Spring Mill image in vue.(check out image).The reason I did this so I could give you an example of what I did without creating a huge video..I have zipped up the project and a few other bits needed for the scene eg. Grayscale images a grass vob etc, and uploaded to rapidshare, for you to download and checkout what it was that I did to create it. You can break it down..Heres the link for the files.

http://rapidshare.de/files/27402284/Spring.rar.html

If its your first time at rapidshare...do the following..
click the link
go to the "free" icon (bottom right) click.
then you have to wait 45 seconds, and the download link will become available.
type in the 3 letters, download

Good luck..Hope it helps..any questions dont hesitate to ask, if i can help i will
Ivan.http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon13.gif

jgmart
07-29-2006, 06:15 AM
WOW! Ivan, my friend - thank you so much for doing all this! I've downloaded all the files - I'll be spending a lot of time this weekend reviewing and using them. This is so helpful to me I can't tell you. You are totally awesome for taking the time to do this - I can't thank you enough. I can't wait to try all this. The mill scene you did is so cool - that's just the type of effect I've been trying to do.

I'll let you know how it's going, once I start playing around.

Again, thank you SO much for all this valuable information, you're a great teacher!.

John

jgmart
08-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Ivan,
Just wanted to thank you again! I created my first image using terrains I started in Photoshop. I attached it for you checkout. It's a simple little scene, but the foreground terrain and the group of background trees in the center (not the trees on the sides) are from a greyscale image as well. I'm really getting the hang of it - thanks for your great tutorials!
John :)

The-G-Man
08-02-2006, 07:35 AM
That's very nice. Good work John!

IvanB
08-02-2006, 01:15 PM
Hey john..I'm glad to see its working out, cool image....check out the thread about grayscale images..I posted a relpy on possibly fixing up the aliasing (jagged edges)..thanks to el koyote..It might help..Did the scene I posted work, and if so did it make any scense?..I wasnt sure if it would load up properly in vue.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=385544
Ivan.

jgmart
08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Hi Ivan,

The Vue scene you created for me was great ! It loaded and rendered with no problem. Using that scene and the greyscale tute, I was able to creat the image I attached above. Thank you again for helping me, all your tutorials are informative and easily understood.
John :)

fishfood
09-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Hi IvanB,

thanks for the great tutorial you posted up there - marvellous.

Can you tell me where you got those buildings from which you built the city ecosystem from please?

Thanks.

IvanB
09-17-2006, 04:36 AM
Hey Fishfood.....Your welcome.

The buildings I use are some free ones and some I purchased...They are called "Dystopia" Here are some links, You can download buildings 1-20 free from the second link, and purchase a whole heap more from the first link. I think you need to register first..

(This is how I did it..there may be a better, or easier way)

Now the thing is, you need to load the .obj files into "POSER", save as .pz3 (poser format) then bring the .pz3 file into vue to save them out as VOB's so you can use them in Vue with the textures mapped correctly,...You can try bringing them into vue as they are, however the textures get all crazy...(its been a while since I did this stuff)..I might put the free ones already converted on the tute site for download.

Purchase..(type in "Dystopia" in the search)
http://market.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/index.php
free
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/index.php?user_id=837

IvanB..

CGTalk Moderation
09-17-2006, 04:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.