PDA

View Full Version : Exploring middle Earth - Death Scene - Magarnigal

Magarnigal
01-13-2003, 12:54 AM
Hey, I really like the theme for this months animation challenge, hoping to see lots of really interesting entries!

ma concept:

A non descript, lone human soldier of middle earth is defending his section of wall during a seige - perhaps at Helms deep? He is desperately fending off ever increasing numbers of orcs and urak'hai. Eventually he recieves a mortal wound...and dies.

That's it, no comedy, no clever hook, its just going to be like a tiny slice of action from a much larger battle. All the focus will be on the choreography between the soldier and the orcs.

lets go!

-Mag

Stephen Vyas
01-14-2003, 12:14 AM
Nothin like a good ol' battle scene , in my opinion :buttrock:
I'm looking forward to how you progress with this.

How many different characters are you planning on making?

Cheers
Steve

Rogue
01-14-2003, 05:43 AM
Ok, you've really gotta wow us like you did with the first animation post you made!!! I mean, you know, no pressure or anything! :p :)

Glad to see you're in. I'm looking forward to watching it progress.

See ya!

chris_reed97
01-15-2003, 03:57 AM
Clean & simple. Great idea. I'm looking forward to seeing more. How many characters are you thinking of including?

Magarnigal
01-16-2003, 11:41 PM
I think besides the hero character, I will have 2 variations of bad guy - Orc an Urak'hai. I'll change their height and weapons to add some variety...They will be simple proxy models.

I'm not sure how many characters in total to have, but the trick will be finding a balance between having enough baddies on screen so as to look sufficiently busy, but not so many that I'll be here till christmas animating them all! I imagine at the climax of the battle there will be no more than 4 bad guys on screen at once. The rigs will be kept ultra simple, just the miminum number of handles to get things moving.

Will hopefully have some characters modeled and rigged over the weekend.

-mag

srv
01-21-2003, 03:37 AM
Hey,
Have seen your robot fight animation before:eek:
I am waiting, excitedly, to see your choreography, for this one.
I hope you have the time to talk about your process and workflow for choreographing scenes like this.
ie do you animate all characters at once, one at a time, do you use boards, references?

dur23
02-05-2003, 01:50 AM
hey magarnigal...
I remember your boob animations, and the fighting robots, and......well damnit your one kick ass animator...BUT, and theres always a big "but". WE NEED AN UPDATE!!! :scream: :scream:

Rogue
02-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Magarnigal: I can't believe that I was not aware you are the one that did the boob hand animations. That was some great stuff man. All this time and I have been watching your challenge material and didn't know you did boob hand.

Excellent!!! Now as dur23 said, what about an update?

Magarnigal
02-07-2003, 01:17 AM
Sorry for the lack of updates! Its just been really busy lately, usual excuse I know, and so its been hard to get some quality time alone with this thing. I'm really gonna try and bust a move in it over the weekend and get something substantial down...

Thanks for the words of support guys, its encouraging :)

-mike

dur23
02-14-2003, 03:34 PM
well im wigglin in my chair outta anticipation! bring it!!

hehe

Magarnigal
02-17-2003, 10:19 AM
OK, update time.

Here are the cast of characters, rigged and ready to rumble.

http://www.mmellor.com/images\cgFeb_characters.jpg

On the right is our man the manly hero. The short, green guy with the big stick will be playing the part of the Orc, and the tall fellow on the left is filling in for the UrakHai, please make them all feel welcome.

Next up will be a rough block of the animation... and only 2 weeks to go!!! GULP! So less talk and more animate...

-mike

Stephen Vyas
02-17-2003, 04:55 PM
Hey Mike,
The Characters look great!...
I think it's time to kick some ass now.. Let's see em rumble!

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.