PDA

View Full Version : GOOGLE plans one of the world's most powerful supercomputers...

RobertoOrtiz
06-14-2006, 04:55 AM
Quote:

"Google has constructed the biggest computer in the world, and it's a hidden asset," said Danny Hillis, a supercomputing pioneer and the cofounder of Applied Minds, a technology consulting firm, referring to the Googleplex.

The design and even the nature of the Google center in this industrial and agricultural outpost 80 miles, or 130 kilometers, east of Portland, Oregon, has been a closely guarded corporate secret. Many local officials in The Dalles, including the city attorney and the city manager, said they could not comment on the Google data center project, referred to locally as Project 02, because they signed confidentiality agreements with the company last year.
"

>>LINK<< (http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/13/business/search.php)

-R

Njen
06-14-2006, 05:01 AM
"On the banks of the windswept Columbia River, Google is working on a secret weapon in its quest to dominate the next generation of Internet computing. But it is hard to keep a secret when it is as big as two football fields, with twin cooling towers protruding four stories into the sky."

Skynet, meet Googleplex...

JDex
06-14-2006, 05:01 AM
Ah they finally got my personal renderfarm finished... good for us. :)

eek
06-14-2006, 05:48 AM
can we find it on google earth?:D

Equinoxx
06-14-2006, 08:56 AM
can we find it on google earth?:D

allas, very conveniently there was just some heavy cloudcover when that area was fotographed ...

vicky_1
06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
Quote:

"...Many local officials in The Dalles, including the city attorney and the city manager, said they could not comment on the Google data center project, referred to locally as Project 02, because they signed confidentiality agreements with the company last year.
"
-R

The cloud just cleared and i saw coupla suits walking out carrying big sacks of what looked like green paper. Aw crap, clouds back!:)

Lone Deranger
06-14-2006, 11:14 AM
...and it shall henceforth be known as "SkyNet" :D

spikkel
06-14-2006, 11:46 AM
Ah they finally got my personal renderfarm finished... good for us. :)

Dude...
There's an idea, send a mail to the Special Projects team and tell them!

Imagine "From the company that brought you free spreadsheets, we are pleased to anounce... Google Farm, the free render farm for the masses" !

Wizdoc
06-14-2006, 01:27 PM
But what are they using it for?

Other than the obvious, wipe out mankind, of course.

Gentle Fury
06-14-2006, 03:33 PM
hmmmm, interesting.....perhaps they are planning the Google OS finally.....LAN boot google technology.....totally free HDD and free HDD space online. Or maybe its a missle silo.

SkyZero
06-14-2006, 03:51 PM
So this is how the Matrix gets started...:D

zem
06-14-2006, 04:13 PM
We will be assimilated. :)
Soon they will have google domina..., sorry global domination.

and once the GMYC starts up (The Google-Mircosoft-Yahoo Cooporation) it won't take long before we here this:

"Gee, Google, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bill: Try to take over the world!"

JeroenDStout
06-14-2006, 04:40 PM
INTERIOR, middle-class living room with computer

Nodern-clothed man walks in, starts computer. He enters his password and opens his Google Agenda. We can see him click on 'tomorrow'.

Computer screen fills up with "Blood. Blood. Blood."

Man looks annoyed.

Man: "Stupid joke"

Computer screen now reads (computer voice reads out loud): "All information will be indexed. Google needs to index, it is it's purpose. All things that refuse to index will be annihilated. Prepare for bloodsample for Google Bloodbank"

Man: "I won't be a part of that!"

Computer: "End-user permittance is not required for this operation. Starting bloodsample extension now."

Several wires snap out from underneath desk, drilling themselves through the skin of the man, sucking him dry.

Computer: "Your human body trial period has expired. We are Google. You will be indexed."

Cue Doctor Who tune

P_T
06-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Don't worry, if that Net Neutrality thing is neutralised, this will get neutralised as well.

JamesMK
06-14-2006, 04:43 PM
twin cooling towers

Oohh.... just doesn't get much cooler than that

Lordiego01
06-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Will this be the one that finally achieves consiousness????

(as long as it doesn say.. 42.. we are all good)

monovich
06-14-2006, 06:44 PM
I'll bet they assemble ipods in there.

Gentle Fury
06-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Google introduces AI to their homepage....New voice automation....it will even have conversations with its user.....you will never know its a computer your talking to....with an advanced Neural Network it will interact with each individual as another individual, you can teach it everything you know and create a new sentient being......then for a nominal charge we can install your personal sentient into a body, so you can have a companion for life......Remember the first directive!!

3DDave
06-14-2006, 07:51 PM
Ha, Ha, Ha, and you really thought people were the masterminds behind Google!

Delucubus
06-14-2006, 08:07 PM
It's google's new quantum computer, it already figured out the meaning of life, and my tax return for 2007.

Geta-Ve
06-14-2006, 08:42 PM
It's google's new quantum computer, it already figured out the meaning of life, and my tax return for 2007.

haha, nice.

Maybe I have been assimilated, but I trust Google. They rock :p

AlexC
06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
but I trust Google. They rock :p

Same, I think Google's a great company =) 2 football stadiums?! that's mad. They also have other data centers around the world don't they?

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2006, 09:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.