PDA

View Full Version : Clothing help, pretty please...

dJmEnAcE
06-13-2006, 05:31 PM
Hello fellow 3D enthusiasts.... OK, I modeled a guy in a suit and tie (slacks, collared shirt, tie, etc.) and I'm currently in the process of rigging him. I'm trying to make him look as realistic as possible meaning I would like some ripples in his clothes. For example, if I lift his arm up, I want his coat to ripple and distort but not in every section, just the bottom half that kind of hangs and sways (where the pockets are). I would also like minor ripples in his shirt and I tried using displacement and bumps maps and neither worked at all (I use Vray as my renderer by the way). I know some might say that modeling the ripples is a possibility but I am trying to avoid that at all costs. The coat isn't a priority because I know it is really hard to achieve what I want but any help regarding the minor ripples in the shirt would be greatly appreciated. If it helps, when I tried applying any kind of displacement map (standard max displace, not vray) the entire mesh would distort completely out of control even with the displace at low levels. Then when I tried the Vray displace, nothing happens when you render. I tried to test the Vray displace on a flat plane and I couldn't get it to work at all. I looked for tuts on this and nothing seemed to work. I'm at work right now but if its neccesary I will post up an image of my model so you guys can get a better idea of what I'm talking about. Please, any advice, tips, or suggestions are very welcome.... thanks in advance to everyone.

eek
06-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Sounds like your vering towards the morph aproach - basically to model target meshes of different creases eg. knee, thigh etc. Then drive these based on angle. Max even has this 'skin morph' - ontop of this you can do a whole host of things, volume selection (soft selection) etc etc

cheers,

dJmEnAcE
06-14-2006, 02:35 PM
thanx for the reply... im aware of these morph tools but i have never tried to use any of them because they always require all these tedious procedures to actually see them work. my question is, how does max know where these creases fold and don't fold? for example, my model's pants dont have an actual leg underneath them... its just the pants. if there is a crease in an article of clothing its because the body underneath them is making them fold in that way. kind of like having a cloth modifier hitting a hard body object, the cloth conforms to the shape of the hard body collection. know any good tuts on these morph tools, id be delighted but im gona research as well and once again thanx for the post. :thumbsup:

eek
06-14-2006, 04:38 PM
how does max know where these creases fold and don't fold?

It doesnt, you essentially model the before and after effects of creasing. These morphs arent driven by the mesh, there driven by bone angle. You model two versions, 'crease' and 'no crease' - which are then essentially driven by bone angles, or scalars. Max's skinmorph seems pretty quick and essentially i think you can, set up the angle and model the crease on the fly - making the iterative process fast.

Stevan Stahlberg I think had a tut on morphs to fix skin issues - its for maya but is the same basic idea.

dJmEnAcE
06-14-2006, 05:31 PM
ok, my stack is: editable poly then physique (im using character studio)... i would then put skin morph on top of physique right? ur saying the skin morph has an option for a before and after effect? does the skin morph have to be linked in some way to physique? ive tried looking for some tuts but they explain how to use the skin morph on its own, they really dont go into how it would be used with a character or something similar... anyway, thanx for the help eek i appreciate ur responses (even my teachers at school who taught me how to use max dont know how to go about this)... if you have any suggestions on how i can use skin morph with the stack i explained above, ur more than welcome, thanx once again eek

Kaostick
06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
The max user reference has the basic usage of skin morph broken down into 10 steps. It is pretty easy to follow. One other thing, ditch phsyique! :scream: It is horribly outdated and skin is much easier to use. You don't have to worry about it not working with CS; it does. Good luck to you. :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2006, 09:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.