PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft finds 60% infection rate in PCs

RobertoOrtiz
06-13-2006, 03:49 PM
Quote:Microsoft on Monday said that it found and removed malicious programs - called "bots" - from six out of 10 Windows computers checked during a recent 15-month period.

The disclosure, announced in a report at the Tech Ed conference in Boston, is the strongest proof yet that bots are contaminating wide swaths of the Internet. Bots infect PCs with software that allows them to be controlled by an attacker to spread spam, attack websites or steal identity data.

"We're seeing an extremely active level of activity," says Matthew Braverman, Microsoft product manager. "Most malicious software we see today affecting Windows customers is more tied to financial gain."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/20060613/tc_usatoday/microsoftfinds60infectionrateinpcs;_ylt=As_9okcL0HGCoI.ysnUGPJSs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)

-R

pixelmonk
06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
I feel no pain for those in this day and age that don't protect themselves properly (sexually or computer-ly). As much as stuff is like this in the news, you would think people would be more aware and cautious. Eh well.. I know my stuff is clean (sexually and computer-ly). w00t

btw, that news clip doesn't tell how Microsoft checked computers. Did they go out to businesses, randomly? People's houses? How large was the test pool?

DDS
06-13-2006, 07:22 PM
60%? c'mon that's far from reality. ALL PCs are infected, and some people are clean because they understand what's up with protection and know how to use it and that's the reason why don't have 1 single spyware program in their PC. Obviously in cgtalk there are a lot of these 'cause someone who spends 24h in front of a PC easily cares about it's health. But what about home users? not a single one is free from malicious stuff!!

I tell ya, haven't gone to a family house computer without seeing virus jumping from screen to keyboard, rolling on the mouse or making a queue to enter the case through the hole that a released ethernet card leaves open.

Seriously, c'mon MS!!

BaronImpossible
06-13-2006, 07:26 PM
btw, that news clip doesn't tell how Microsoft checked computers.

They sent a bot

stew
06-13-2006, 07:37 PM
Hm, I was reading a slightly different version of this:
More than 60 percent of compromised Windows PCs scanned by Microsoft's Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool between January 2005 and March 2006 were found to be running malicious bot software
(emphasis mine)

Which would mean that not 60% of all PCs searched had the problem but only 60% of those that were "compromised" (which I think means "having a virus, rootkit, or any other malicious software installed").

edit:
Here's the source for the quote.
http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/security/0,39044215,39367231,00.htm

mech7
06-13-2006, 07:50 PM
It says here 1 on 311 pc's contains malware.. wind00s..

http://tweakers.net/nieuws/42987/Microsoft:-1-op-de-311-Windows-machines-bevat-malware.html

Dutch article :p

62% contained a trojan:

Backdoor Trojan 3.500.000
Mass Mailing Worm 1.100.000
Rootkit 750.000
p2p-worm 600.000
Exploitworm 500.000
Virus 400.000
IM-worm 200.000

zzacmann
06-13-2006, 09:00 PM
Having worked as a PC Technician in a walk in pc repair environment, I would have thought that percentage to be much higher. I actually think it IS much higher than 60%. The reason MS is not detecting some things is that they're using MS software.

MS Antispyware (not defender) for instance is a great little program, but because MS has looked into purchasing GAIN and/or GATOR affiliated companies, all the spyware spread by those companies is by default IGNORED. It also tries to ignore anything tied in with KAZAA as well, which, along with BEARSHARE, and LIMEWIRE, tends to be the root of all evil for your average computer user. The funny thing is that it seems like nobody realizes that they're stealing music and movies through these portals. You tell them to stop stealing music because they're downloading spyware and viruses too and they look at you like you just slapped them in the face. "I dont steal music! I get it from KAZAA." I love that line.

JeroenDStout
06-13-2006, 09:03 PM
It's not stealing, it's breaking the copyright law.

sheppyboy2000
06-13-2006, 09:13 PM
It's not stealing, it's agrresively barrowing. Or 0% financing til 2099....

Papa Lazarou
06-13-2006, 10:00 PM
If you've ever had to show average people how to do something on a computer, you will be painfully aware of the level of ignorance out there. Otherwise relatively intelligent people, and yet it seems they are oblivious to the most obvious things. Worse still, if they're of a certain age.

I just don't get this lack of pity attitude some people have around here. Even if you know a thing or 2 about computers, chances are you didn't get there without a few things going wrong. I reckon on the scale of things though, hardware failures and software bugs usually caused more problems for me than any virus has.

mech7
06-13-2006, 10:25 PM
Actually downloading music and movies are legal in our country.. only not software or uploading

It's not stealing, it's breaking the copyright law.

gruvsyco
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
"We're seeing an extremely active level of activity," says Matthew Braverman, Microsoft product manager.
I'm seeing an extemely redundant level of redundancy in that sentence, Matthew.

CGTalk Moderation
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.