PDA

View Full Version : Bird wing folding

Azrail
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Hello everybody.

I'm terribly stuck in here - have to model and rig a bird (pigeon in particular)

I need some advice on how to make the wing, so it folds naturaly, the flying part is quite easy...

Would appreciate any suggestions :)

10x

P.S. The software is 3D studio, and the rig should be Biped :D

AsaMovshovitz
06-13-2006, 02:04 PM
can you post a jpg of your model? and CS is not the best way to rig a wing....

steveblake
06-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Make use of lots of reference footage...I experimented with a bird rig recently and got some fairly good results with wing folding by just keying them in FK to a certain folded position (say 40-60% of the final folded wing) and adding corrective blendshapes/morphs there and at 100% of the fold to get a nice shape.

I'd also recommend having the head contraints blendable to world coordinates (ie the animation controls actually detatched from the hip/body/COG) - since real birds very often make twitchy movements where the head body seem to be moving independently.. Of course you'll need to blend them back for when the bird is flying etc..

Illusion-shadow
06-13-2006, 04:54 PM
the wing part of a bird, I am assuming this will be a realistic bird with no finger? So not cartoonly, right?

I will create a IK set up for the wing (arm), so when it expend, you can have the tip of the wing to a position of where you want. and FK for the start of the join, so you can so rotate the whole wing. Also, stretchy bone for the remiges(or the wing linings) if you are not creating a realistic feather system. If you are planning to do a realistic feather system, then I would us reaction manager to do the set up.

I hope this will help, as I don't have a clear idea of you are trying to achive.

Azrail
06-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Yes it has to be a realistic bird, 10x for the help, but I figured out it's best to model the folded wing, and than rig it, and stretch it with the proper weights set up.

As for the CS - I know it's not the best way, but I need that kind of rig, so the bird can be put in a Crowd, and have different motions controlled by delegate behaviours.

Illusion-shadow - The reaction manager is terra incognita for know... may be I should try and learn something about it

josh3light
06-16-2006, 11:31 PM
I haven't done this tutorial but I have read it through, it uses fish in a CS crowd system, not rigged with biped. It is for 3ds max 7 and up.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/3d__and__animation/crowd_control

trakartist
06-26-2006, 07:36 PM
I've been working on a realistic bird rig for Maya. It's a crazy looking rig with a joint on each main feather (a plane with an alpha) with set driven keys to make them fold properly. I'd love to see what you've got so far. I'll get a jpeg of mine as soon as I get a chance.

-B-

Squash-n-Stretch
06-29-2006, 05:03 PM
I haven't done this tutorial but I have read it through, it uses fish in a CS crowd system, not rigged with biped. It is for 3ds max 7 and up.

http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/3d__and__animation/crowd_control

Since when is a bird a fish? :D :D :D

tevih
07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
I'd have thought modelling it open would be better...

Also, maybe make 2 rigs - one to accomodate the folding of the wing and one to use while flying.

CGTalk Moderation
07-02-2006, 04:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.