PDA

View Full Version : Valve addon for Half-Life 2 problem

Nii
06-13-2006, 12:09 PM
There seems to be a compatibility problem with Valve's HL2 exporter. On XSI base they stated it does not work with v5.1, but some users have said it DOES work with 5.0 but I have not had such similar luck. I actually got the exporter working *once* with version 5.0, but after that I got the same old error, "nothing to export".

Have any of you guys worked with the Valve addon? Do you know what prerequisites are needed to get a successful export? The addon is not very well documented...

I just started modding with HL2, and I jump on to this community only to find it to have much less activity than I expected. What gives? Isn't HL2 modding activity meant to be sky high, due to Valve's support of modders? That's what I kept reading, and that is why I started to learn to mod. It just seems that the lack of an update must've put people off (myself too). The addon has not had any updates since XSi 4.3!

I tried the addon with both 5.1 and 5.0, and it does not work so I guess I'll come back when it does. Given the period between updates of the Valve addon, I'd say I'll be seeing you guys again in about year =].

LemonNado
06-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Use the mod tool or and 4.2 variety. It's not meant to be supported for anything else than 4.2.
5.x does not add any value for the task at hand. And besides that, HL2 modding is an exercise of reverse engineering it yourself.
Good luck!
Rainer

Attean
06-13-2006, 01:34 PM
I didn't find it all that useful anyway. If I were you I'd figure out their export scripts first and foremost, that's all you need to know to get models into Source anyway.

Bucket
06-13-2006, 07:00 PM
I'd have to agree that the xsi addon just isn't worth much at all. I spent several months working on levels, character models and character animation and I found it extremely limited and a bit backwards. Modding hl2 just isn't what it is hyped to be. Making simple stuff is a complicated tiring process. And there is a lot of stuff in xsi that just won't transfer. (geometry, just about all rigs, anything with constraints or parent relationships) Valve really needs to stop supporting hammerwc and try making some kind of strong link with a real 3d package. Hammer sucks.

Nii
06-14-2006, 02:32 AM
Thanks for the input guys, but I'm no programmer! Reverse engineering code is not one of my strengths! XD

I wonder if the promised Valve addon update will improve features? They said it's 'coming' soon about 6 months ago but I don't think they really care about the modding community as much as they said. =/

Attean
06-14-2006, 06:32 AM
I think they care. They're just super busy working themselves. They're pushing out episode 2 at the moment and I imagine after that they've probably got a nice bubble on their time schedule marked "compete with Unreal 2007 modding and graphics". They worked on AI for episode 1, graphics and mod tools are the next step. As for now, enjoy using Unreal 2004, it's much more versatile and easy to use and will prepare you for 2007 which is looking nice.

Oh, and Actor X is nice.

CGTalk Moderation
06-14-2006, 06:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.