PDA

View Full Version : Exploring Middle Earth - Death Scene - chris_reed97

chris_reed97
01-12-2003, 09:07 PM
Here's the premise for my death scene:

Squaty, dumpy elf (anti-Legolas, probably low poly) jumps into frame with sword in hand, ready for action.

He whips around and WHAM!!! an arrow (a la Warner Bros. plunger) smacks him in the face and sticks. He drops his sword and immedately tries to yank it off his face.

Running out of oxygen, (possibly turning blue the whole time) he tugs, pulls, etc. with no success.

He begins to frantically flail, tossing his head from side to side and up and down in hopes of shaking the plunger off his face.

With one poorly timed/placed head toss he smacks him self in the stones with the plunger handle and falls over in pain.

Twiching from lack of oxygen, he finally goes limp and dies.

The plunger unceremoniously pops off his face and falls to the side.

Feedback welcome. I'll post the actual storyboard soon.

chris_reed97
01-12-2003, 09:12 PM
Question for the challenge citizens:

I'm most proficient in Max as an animator, but since I'm trying to learn Maya do you think this would be a good chance to cut my teeth on some animation in Maya?

Has anyone been in a similar situation and what was the outcome?

bentllama
01-12-2003, 10:04 PM
You have until Feb 28th to complete the challenge...if you feel comfortable using a new package, and can complete the challenge on time, by all means go ahead and do so.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!

:beer:

Milho
01-12-2003, 10:22 PM
hi chris,
i have exactly the same thoughts. but i think ill finish this one with max since i have much other work to do and it would be too time consuming. But it is possible and would teach alot if you have the time.
hope the 3dbuzz tutorials of maya animation will come before the next challenge so i can learn enough about it ;)

Milho http://www.milho.de/in_the_dark/milho.gif

Rogue
01-14-2003, 06:08 AM
Funny concept. It sounds like it would be alot of fun to animate. Post updates when you get em! :)

chris_reed97
01-15-2003, 03:46 AM
Here's the storyboard for my death scene. I changed the character to an orc. After all, a squaty, dumpy elf is an orc! Anyway, here it is. Enjoy. As always, feedback is welcome.

danyrey
01-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Sounds fun. :thumbsup:

My first thought when i read your premise was:
He will try to draw breath all the time and then finally when he goes down he breathes out and because of that the plunger falls down.

Was that the intention with the falling plunger at the end?

chris_reed97
01-15-2003, 04:01 PM
danyrey, that sounds about right. I didn't really think that far into it, but why not? I'm not sure how to get that across to the audience, but it may be more assumed by the viewer than anything else.

e_kruger
01-21-2003, 07:44 AM
Love the storyboard concept. Good to see you still working hard. Can't wait to see what you do with Maya.

E

vertex
01-21-2003, 08:14 AM
Cool, can't wait to see the first animatic. :bounce:

Vertex

chris_reed97
01-21-2003, 01:06 PM
Due to impending time constraints, I may go ahead and do this one in Max. There's some new animation tools they've incorporated in v5 and I'd like to try them out. I think the point of this challenge is to produce great animation, not necessarily see how fast you can learn a new SW package. I'll probably have enough Maya under my belt for the next one. My Maya class is going well, but I haven't gotten to much rigging yet.

pixelkeg
01-21-2003, 01:56 PM
I like your storyboards. :) Yeah man, why rush yourself getting into Maya when you're already comfortable using Max. You'll get there. If you have any Maya questions along the way let me know. :)

Sergio

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 05:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.