PDA

View Full Version : characters in zero gravity

Trazza
06-13-2006, 02:09 AM
Hey Guys

I've come across the task at work of having to animate two guys on the moon moving about in zero gravity. It's not a totally realistic job so I'm taking some creative license with it to make it look believable and it's all fine. But out of curiosity I was wondering if anyone out there had done this before and if they found any rules that apply to animating characters in a "weightless" environment, since the weight and forces of a character would be completely different to that of a normal environment.

This may be a stupid question but it's made me think quite a lot about different approaches and i'd like to hear anyone elses thoughts.

Cheers
Trazza

TheGameMaker
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
first: on moon ther IS gravaty.
Just a little bit less than here ;)
I think, its a good idea, to slow down every movement.
Make every move a little bit bigger... Jumps higher etc...
mhhh... thats all i can think of doing... but iam a noob in animating^^
TGM

wtoddk
06-14-2006, 02:47 PM
I would have to agree with TheGameMaker... I would guess it would just be like regular 'earth' animation, just slower and perhaps, say for example that the character jumps, that it would be in the air longer....etc.

Good luck!

Trazza
06-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Yeah fair enough. That was pretty much my thoughts as well. We were just discussing it at work and it seemed to bring up some interesting ideas on how things actually operate when the laws of physics as we know them aren't there or operate differently.

Thanks for the replies anyway guys

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2006, 02:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.