View Full Version : New Ant Bully scene online

RobertoOrtiz
06-12-2006, 03:24 PM
New Ant Bully scene online
http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/index.html

-R

ed209
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
The actual trailer is online now as well.

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/aol/us/moviefone/movies/2006/antbullythe_023202/antbullythe_trlr_02_dl.mov

arvid
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
looks fun, but i just hate trailers that tell the entire story :scream:

xtrm3d
06-14-2006, 03:38 AM
well , the story being based on a children book , there is not much to hide :-)

Xtort
06-14-2006, 12:35 PM
This seems much more action movie like than the other CG films coming out this summer. I heard XTRM 3D worked on it. That guy rocks!

xtrm3d
06-14-2006, 04:20 PM
now , i am really curious to see if people still compare this movie , to ANtz or a bugs life :twisted:

Papa Lazarou
06-14-2006, 11:55 PM
I reckon this will be a modest success at best, and quite possibly a flop. It just feels too been-there-done-that. Not just Antz/A Bugs Life, it also brings to mind Honey I shrunk the Kids and James and the Giant Peach. The animation looks fairly close to the current dreamworks quality, but I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about Ant Bully at this point. I don't find the designs terribly exiting either.

tatiana
06-15-2006, 12:19 AM
I reckon this will be a modest success at best, and quite possibly a flop. It just feels too been-there-done-that. Not just Antz/A Bugs Life, it also brings to mind Honey I shrunk the Kids and James and the Giant Peach. The animation looks fairly close to the current dreamworks quality, but I'm finding it pretty hard to get excited about Ant Bully at this point. I don't find the designs terribly exiting either.

Unless you're a parent, the movie probably isn't really targeted for you as the audience in any case. You're not the one who's supposed to get excited. :) As far as the other movies go, my guess is that if the DVD's aren't already in the family video library, the kids who will be in the movie audience won't be familiar with Antz or A Bug's Life.

When John Davis from DNA spoke at Industry Giants (http://www.abunchofshortguys.com/Mambo4.5.2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=75&Itemid=38) last Saturday, he did say that he was pretty careful to make sure that his version of The Ant Bully story did not have any similar scenes from films like Honey I Shrunk the Kids. Tempting, but no. He did mention that he was influenced by adventure stories like the films that Ray Harryhausen worked on.

t

Papa Lazarou
06-15-2006, 12:29 AM
Unless you're a parent, the movie probably isn't really targeted for you as the audience in any case. You're not the one who's supposed to get excited. :)
t

Well that's funny, because I usually manage to get excited about the next Pixar/Blue Sky/Disney animated features. I thought they were aiming at much the same market.

If he was talking about Harryhausen movies, I suppose he means First Men on the Moon, Mysterious Island and 3 Worlds of Gulliver. I don't see a huge amount of similarities there.

tatiana
06-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Well that's funny, because I usually manage to get excited about the next Pixar/Blue Sky/Disney animated features. I thought they were aiming at much the same market.

If he was talking about Harryhausen movies, I suppose he means Mysterious Island and 3 Worlds of Gulliver. I don't see a huge amount of similarities there.

Oh, wow! You've seen the whole movie then already! Do tell all!

:)

While there's been a rather full synopsis of the story posted on the official Ant Bully website, and there's been a new trailer released, that doesn't mean that every little detail and all the adventures in the story have been told. Right?

Davis didn't say that he pulled scenes from the Harryhausen movies. Simply that, if I remember correctly, he was influenced by those kind of adventures as seen in Harryhausen films. Mysterious Island actually happens to be one of my favorites from way back. :D

If The Ant Bully story sounds interesting to you, like it did to Tom Hanks who wanted this film made because he really liked it, and his children loved it, then go see it when it's at the theater.

If not, then don't.

As far as The Ant Bully not generating the excitement for you that Disney/Pixar/Blue Sky animated features do...(I notice you didn't say DreamWorks or Sony Animation or CORE) wouldn't you say that could also be in part because of those studios recent successes? So, maybe in part you're interested in seeing the projects because of who did the film, not because of the story. For myself, I didn't see Toy Story I when it was in theaters because I didn't like the design or the look of CG animation. It was too cold. I did like Pixar's later productions. Mostly. Because the stories were really engaging. I like Cars the least for sure. It's pretty, I love the backgrounds but I'm so NOT a NASCAR fan. And the female characters in this film were all pretty lame and I can't stand Owen Wilson's whiny voice.

Anyways, DNA simply hasn't done as many features, just the one previous, Jimmy Neutron, in fact. Maybe Ant Bully will change your mind. Unfortunately, since as I understand it, most of the crew that worked on Ant Bully has been let go, future productions may not have the overall quality (design, character animation, texture and lighting, etc)....since it can be hard to get people interested in relocating to Texas, however temporarily...it's definitely not Los Angeles, and while the animation, effects and gaming community is still growing, it just doesn't offer many opportunities.

t

Brettzies
06-15-2006, 01:07 AM
The Box Office will decide : :bowdown:

It does have a few things going against it in terms of the "history of cg films," but, it still really is a kid's movie even if everyone likes it. And it's based on a book. Animation people(fans and artists) will recognize and probably crit it to death for similarites without looking at it for what it is...a film. So yeah, it could miss out on a big bankroll at the box office with a broad audience. But then again, five year olds may love it and who knows what will happen from there.

Have to go see it and decide afterwards. Either way, I hope it has enough success so that DNA can continue to make films.

Papa Lazarou
06-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Oh, wow! You've seen the whole movie then already! Do tell all!

If The Ant Bully story sounds interesting to you, like it did to Tom Hanks who wanted this film made because he really liked it, and his children loved it, then go see it when it's at the theater.

If not, then don't.

t

I don't expect them to lift scenes from Harryhausen, it just doesn't seem all that close in spirit to the Harryhausen films.

Anyway, they actually showed a lot in this latest trailer. But it still doesn't do it for me. Make of that what you will. I don't usually make bold predictions, but in this case I made an exception and stated that I don't see it being a huge success. Just one guy's opinion.

I think you read too much into my listing of studios.

tatiana
06-15-2006, 01:17 AM
I don't expect them to lift scenes from Harryhausen, it just doesn't seem all that close in spirit to the Harryhausen films.

Anyway, they actually showed a lot in this latest trailer. But it still doesn't do it for me. Make of that what you will. I don't usually make bold predictions, but in this case I made an exception and stated that I don't see it being a huge success. Just one guy's opinion.

I think you read too much into my listing of studios.

My apologies then for misunderstanding your comment which led to my comment.

But, you also said The Ant Bully would quite possibly be a flop. Not being a huge success doesn't equal a flop to my mind...but I respect your opinion, just didn't agree with it.

t

Papa Lazarou
06-15-2006, 01:35 AM
But, you also said The Ant Bully would quite possibly be a flop. Not being a huge success doesn't equal a flop to my mind...but I respect your opinion, just didn't agree with it.
t

I don't think every animated film has to be a blockbuster by any means. If anything I'd like to see more moderately successful, moderately budgeted films.

Xtort
06-15-2006, 01:50 AM
Good point Papa. I think that you'll find The Ant Bully fits into that category rather well. I think I read the budget was estimated around 50 million, which is less than a typical Dreamworks or Pixar film. Because of that the film does not need to make an ungodly amount of money to be a huge success. I think having more modest budgets will allow CG films to become a little less mainstream and a lot more interesting. It would also reduce the need to cater a film to everyone. I for one am really excited about AB a hope it is as good as I have heard it is.

elibutler
06-15-2006, 01:55 AM
I find it a great irony how many people in this forum will trash a film before they even seen it. Even greater irony that work-in-progress trailers are being judged and predetermined in their mind that such works are worthy or not. While some may have valid claim, but others simply fan the flame. How sad.

JeroenDStout
06-15-2006, 02:08 AM
How sad.
I think you'll get used to it.

Xtort
06-15-2006, 02:16 AM
Hey Duffy!!

ed209
06-15-2006, 05:03 AM
I think I read the budget was estimated around 50 million, which is less than a typical Dreamworks or Pixar film.

That's about right I think. In animation alone we had twice the amount of work that a typical feature studio would handle on a given week. It's no Hoodwinked, but unfortunately it's hard to compete with studio's who have the time and money to properly invest into there film.

Hopefully people dig the movie. I've been so attached to the project I'm sort of numb to it. I can't really say anymore if it's good or bad. It's just a movie now that I've seen way too many times. I was really entertained when I first saw the animatic though. It'll be interesting to hear your reviews after some of you guys actually see it.

I find it funny how many people instantly hate it for the sheer fact that it involves bugs. Trust me it's a much different story with different characters and messages. You won't be sitting through a remake or sequel.

Breinmeester
06-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Sigh, always the "don't judge a film by its trailer"-thing... When a trailer to a CG film comes out, it will be discussed in a CG community. Some people loose the line of what they're able to tell from a trailer, but most certainly not the majority. The trailer is the most important piece in the marketing of a film (certainly with budgets like these), so it has a lot of value to crit it. And it's all there, right in front of our eyes.

This is my 2 cents:

When I saw the audition trailer, I didn't really like it. The designs of the ants are smack in the middle of Antz and Bugs and it simply wasn't funny and too 'done before'.
With this new trailer I really like the scale of the story. It has some nice elements. You can set up a lot of stuff in the first act that pays off out quite unexpected when the guy is small. I also like how th scale change sets a new perspective on the same arena. And then there are different things going on in the human world and the ants world. That makes for different goals to reach and different obstacles to leap, especially those in the human world when you're the size of an ant. Also a lot of room for side characters and sub-plots. So storywise it has a lot of potential even though we've seen some of it before (the 'work together' thing, the 'this small object is now huge so how do I cope with it' thing, etc) in Bugs, Antz, Honey Shrunk the Kids and James' Giant Peach.

Animationwise there is some nice stuff in there keeping in mind they worked twice as fast on it. But some animation on the humans throws me off. That sister is a bit floaty.
Designwise I don't really like it. The humans are to generic. What makes the granny old is her gray hair, the rest of her is exactly the same as how the little kid looks. That main ant has a very weird shaped profile that's hard to connect to. All in all I think the designs are to 'seen it before' and weakly shaped.

My guess is this will be a nice adventure for the kids, but it won't stick out of the rest of the cg films coming out this year.

arvid
06-15-2006, 09:43 AM
well , the story being based on a children book , there is not much to hide :-)

not that i've read that book, but it was more of a general dislike for trailers that fail to NOT spoil the whole story :D

simps
06-15-2006, 12:51 PM
As far as the other movies go, my guess is that if the DVD's aren't already in the family video library, the kids who will be in the movie audience won't be familiar with Antz or A Bug's Life.

t

Trust me, kids are aware of Antz and Bug's life. My 5 year old nephew sees all the cg cartoons over and over and over. If that logic were true than none of us would be aware of the classics like Snow White, Cinderella, etc.

I enjoyed the trailer, and I think the movie looks good. But why couldn't they have done something else? I mean in the small CG industry, why repeat an area that's been delved into twice?

rootdown
06-15-2006, 05:59 PM
I'm looking forward to it. :D

P_T
06-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Looks like fun, I reckon kids will enjoy the adventure, that crotch bite scene was funny as well.

skello
06-15-2006, 06:28 PM
You should see it in IMAX 3D ......:love:

Papa Lazarou
06-15-2006, 07:43 PM
I find it a great irony how many people in this forum will trash a film before they even seen it. Even greater irony that work-in-progress trailers are being judged and predetermined in their mind that such works are worthy or not. While some may have valid claim, but others simply fan the flame. How sad.

I'll judge the film on it's own merits, whether it's a commercial success or not. I think it's quite clear that what's been said so far is only based on what's been shown in the trailer. No one is trashing the film ahead of time. Trailers are supposed to get a reaction, positive or negative. If it doesn't excite the audience, they may not bother with it.

CGTalk Moderation
06-15-2006, 07:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.