PDA

View Full Version : XSI 4.2 acad Adv USB dongle problem

living_the_dream
06-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me with some troubles I've been having.

I have XSI 4.2 on Win2000 (I bought 4.0 Adv Academic ver, but only could upgrade as far as 4.2).
It has worked on my computer before, in fact quite recently. My problem is that it won't recognize the the USB dongle, so the spm just stops running.

I first noticed this problem after I recently bought and tried to install my iAudio x5 HDD Mp3 player. I had to unplug the XSI dongle to plug the x5 in (a different USB port) and then ever since I plugged the XSI dongle back in where it was it hasn't worked. I spent a good while today reinstalling the spm and one-wire drivers from ver 4.0 and 4.2. I made some mistake during one of the installations for the 4.0 spm and it won't uninstall now. Worse still, Windows 2kpro won't recognize my dongle being plugged in. I'm not getting the usb device with the error icon in the device manager anymore. It was doing that earlier before I tried the uninstall/install procedure several times earlier.

My maintenance contract has also run out and I'd rather not pay close to 100 bucks just to get XSI running again by talking to the softimage support. It should work fine without all that.

If all else fails I'm fairly confident that formatting, reinstalling and such will work, but I'd rather not right now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Alan

3dtutorial
06-11-2006, 01:09 AM
Hey everyone, I was wondering if anyone could help me with some troubles I've been having.

I have XSI 4.2 on Win2000 (I bought 4.0 Adv Academic ver, but only could upgrade as far as 4.2).
It has worked on my computer before, in fact quite recently. My problem is that it won't recognize the the USB dongle, so the spm just stops running.

I first noticed this problem after I recently bought and tried to install my iAudio x5 HDD Mp3 player. I had to unplug the XSI dongle to plug the x5 in (a different USB port) and then ever since I plugged the XSI dongle back in where it was it hasn't worked. I spent a good while today reinstalling the spm and one-wire drivers from ver 4.0 and 4.2. I made some mistake during one of the installations for the 4.0 spm and it won't uninstall now. Worse still, Windows 2kpro won't recognize my dongle being plugged in. I'm not getting the usb device with the error icon in the device manager anymore. It was doing that earlier before I tried the uninstall/install procedure several times earlier.

My maintenance contract has also run out and I'd rather not pay close to 100 bucks just to get XSI running again by talking to the softimage support. It should work fine without all that.

If all else fails I'm fairly confident that formatting, reinstalling and such will work, but I'd rather not right now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
-Alan

I think if you contact Softimage support directly they will help you with licensing / dongle issues regardless of your current support status. I have always found Softimage very helpful in respect to these matters, I would attempt to contact them by telephone or email. It could not hurt.

Best,

/joe

living_the_dream
06-11-2006, 03:59 AM
Thanks Joe, it's good to know that they'll still help me with these kinds of problems. I'll give that a try.

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2006, 03:59 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.