PDA

View Full Version : How transfer HiPolyTexture to LowPolyModel?

DrIdo
06-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Hello out there,

I'm not sure if my question makes any sense at all, but in case it does, I would appreciate any help, since I'm relatively new to 3D.

I would like to generate a Texture with rendered lightning, surface properties and additional geometry from a HighPoly-Model of a shoe and transfer it to a LowerPoly version for realTime use .
Since the higherDetail version is not just smoothed but also contains additional geometry like seams and lacings, I got no idea how to make a corresponding UV-Layout for both.

While I try to get me some webSpace for uploading pics, I'm already looking forward to some experienced Maya user having mercy with some wretched newbie! thnx

techmage
06-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Modify > Surface Sampler
Put the hi poly model on top of the lo poly model and it will sample the hi poly model to the lo poly one, taking into account texture, lighting and everything. It just won't work with mental ray, so if you want ambient occlusion maps, bake the ambient occlusion onto the hi poly one, and then use the surface sampler to transfer it to the lo poly one. Read about it more in the docs. The UV's on the hi and lo ones do not need to be the same either. You just need to UV map the lo poly one properly, then you can do whatever for UV's on the hi poly one, automatic mapping would work fine on the high poly one, but you really only need to UV map the hi poly one to bake things onto it, which you only need to bake things to the hi one if you wanna get lightmaps out of mental ray. If your fine with just the look maya software renderer makes,you don't need to uv map the hi one.

DrIdo
06-11-2006, 10:56 PM
Simple Problem, simple Answer - exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks alot, rygoody! :applause:
I'm looking forward to the day when I'm able to give advice at least on simple topics, too. By know I find this massive knowledge and cleverness rather intimidating...

viele gruesse
DrIdo

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2006, 10:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.