PDA

View Full Version : cursor visibility

Dis
03-12-2002, 01:27 AM
hi

i'm painting a lot of grayscale textures in photoshop, and usually start out using an image of 50% grey. now the problem i always encounter is that photoshop uses inverted cursors, which simply makes them invisible on 50% grey. does anyone know of a solution for this ? it makes me loose my sanity !

Dis

dukestreet
03-27-2002, 06:15 AM
I don't seem to have that problem in 6, what version are you using?

Have you tried adjusting the cursors in preferences?

dukestreet
03-27-2002, 06:20 AM
I don't seem to have that problem in 6, what version are you using?

Have you tried adjusting the cursors in preferences?

Iain McFadzen
04-05-2002, 05:08 PM
I am gonna bump this thread 'cos it annoys the hell out of me too.

Admittedly it only happens when I use "Brush Size" cursors, but dammit those are the cursors I like using.

HarlequiN
04-07-2002, 07:41 PM
as best I know there's nothing you can do to get them to show properly. The cursor works by inverting the pixels directly under it's location, so hovering over black will show it as white, and white will show it as black. Sadly the negative of 50% grey is 50% grey, so it dissapears.

There are workarounds though. You can set the background to a little lighter or darker than 50% and then make it 50% again when you're done, or there's enough variation in shade that the cursor will show up. Or you can stick a layer filled with a colour over the top and use the colour blending mode - this will mean the cursor shows the negative of whatever hue you're using so it'll show up. Once you're done just delete the colour layer.

windowlicker
04-08-2002, 05:47 PM
I suggest either adding a colored layer on top of every other layer and use a blending-mode of your choice to make underlying layers visible.

Another way is to paint the whole image in color instead of gray, and then when you're done painting, converting the image to grayscale.
You can start with a pure red image and paint in black and white on top of it... then just desaturate the image (using ctrl+shift+U) and then the red will be converted into 50% gray! :)
Using "image/mode/grayscale" will produce a somewhat different result.

...Oh, and the cursor will be visible all the time! ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.