PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft releases public beta of Vista

DrQuincy
06-09-2006, 12:24 PM
It's been talked about for years. It's been hyped. It's been rubbished. It's had more of its features removed than Michael Jackson. Now at last the public is able to judge Microsoft's Vista operating system for themselves. The company has now released a public beta of the next generation operating system, known as the Windows Customer Preview release. Until today, the beta was limited to Microsoft's community of technical beta testers. [More] (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/88338/microsoft-releases-public-beta-of-vista.html)

UPDATE: They've run out of bandwidth (http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/002222.html), lol.

blacknoise
06-09-2006, 12:53 PM
Now how funny is that? Microsoft running of of bandwith...

UrbanFuturistic
06-09-2006, 01:12 PM
I do wonder why they ever announced half those features in the first place, Vista could well be worth the upgrade price as it stands and if they'd just kept shtum people wouldn't have half as much to be critical about. At least this time they ditched the frills and frivolity in favour of security and stability (yes, it's still got 100Tons of eye candy, but they cut out a lot, like WinFS).

Give it a few months to iron out the early release bugs and it might well be added to my arsenal of xplaform dev tools.

GoranNF
06-09-2006, 01:48 PM
If anyone tested it,could you please tell me how much RAM it was using in the windows classic style?

DrQuincy
06-09-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm going to run it as soon as I can get through to the download link so I will let you know. The minimum RAM requirement is 512 MB but I remember the recommended RAM for XP was 128 MB and if you were unlucky enough to only have 128 MB it ran like a dog.

RaGzMaN
06-09-2006, 03:29 PM
Ill probably try it too but its still

:

Thank you for your interest in Windows Vista Beta 2.

We are currently experiencing a high level of demand and cannot process your request at this time.

Please check back later for availability. We apologize for any inconvenience.

mech7
06-09-2006, 03:32 PM
:rolleyes: They could have atleast put up a torrent..

deli-rium
06-09-2006, 03:42 PM
I am using now WIN xp pro and on fresh boot is eats ~ 255 MB of ram. No classic style here.
This Vista beta is using from ~ 600 - 750 MB of ram, after I switched to classic and turned off the sidebar.
I had ~ 800 - 900 ram usage on Aero.

On the other hand I got my old laptop that has only 128 Mb of ram and it runs WIN xp Pro quite well I might say.

Lone Deranger
06-09-2006, 04:14 PM
So from XP to Vista = 3-4 times more Ram needed? How'd they manage that.... honestly...

:rolleyes:

deli-rium
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM
So from XP to Vista = 3-4 times more Ram needed? How'd they manage that.... honestly...

I suppose there are lots and lots more of processes that run and eat ram.
I have many of them turned off in XP PRO.
In Vista you have lots of different asterisks and warning windows and monitoring, which I hope are to be turned off.

ambient-whisper
06-10-2006, 01:09 AM

some operating systems actually use up a lot of ram by default ( and i mean as much as they can grab ), and when you launch applications that ram is released for your applications to use. so, just because you see 700 megs being used by windows vista, it doesnt mean that theres 700 megs worth being used by the os to run its processes. in a way, think of it as cache.

jcbray
06-10-2006, 05:37 AM
It's also still in debugging mode, so it's using more resources then it will when it's released.

DDS
06-10-2006, 01:28 PM
:rolleyes: They could have atleast put up a torrent..

yesss that's my quote of the day

edit:maybe it's downloading a bit slow, but it's downloading :)

Spin99
06-10-2006, 07:28 PM
Recommended for text-mode: 200 MHz Pentium-class or better
Recommended for graphical: 400 MHz Pentium II or better
AMD64 processors (both Athlon64 and Opteron)
Intel processors with Intel® Extended Memory 64 Technology (Intel® EM64T)
Minimum RAM for text-mode: 128MB
Minimum RAM for graphical: 192MB
Recommended for graphical: 256MB
space requirements may range from as little as 90 MiB for a minimal installation to as much as an additional 175 MiB for an "everything" installation. The complete packages can occupy over 9 GB of disk space.
Additional space is also required for any user data, and at least 5% free space should be maintained for proper system operation.I tought Linux and Windows used to run on par, actually the former being the one heavy on RAM?

Fedora Project, sponsored by Red Hat (http://fedora.redhat.com/)

FunkyCowie
06-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Download is work now... should have it in 1.5 hours and its downloading at 750kbit/sec

gruvsyco
06-11-2006, 03:52 AM
Just installed it. I don't really care much for the new look and, ironically, I'm running a Vista theme on XP (soon to change). Only had it up for about 2 hours so, I'll need to tinker more but I really need to get some other stuff going on it like Flock.

GoranNF
06-11-2006, 07:09 AM
I am using now WIN xp pro and on fresh boot is eats ~ 255 MB of ram. No classic style here.
This Vista beta is using from ~ 600 - 750 MB of ram, after I switched to classic and turned off the sidebar.
I had ~ 800 - 900 ram usage on Aero.

On the other hand I got my old laptop that has only 128 Mb of ram and it runs WIN xp Pro quite well I might say.

Ouch!:sad: Thanks for the info though.

Nichod
06-11-2006, 01:07 PM
UPDATE: They've run out of bandwidth (http://blogs.pcworld.com/tipsandtweaks/archives/002222.html), lol.

It could also mean there is just a high level of downloads or they set the amount of downloads to a set amount to maintain download speed.

Anyway, I'm hesitate to download this.

CupOWonton
06-11-2006, 05:46 PM
*sigh* if microsoft would go back and refurbish the core of windows for once, so all these other programs are more integrated with a much more robust language to use with hardware, this bloating problem wouldnt exist.

But no, they have to add everything like Discreet with Max, Plugins, Plugins, and MORE Plugins.

Kaostick
06-11-2006, 06:05 PM
Woot.. Spent 2 hours downloading, another hour burning, fell asleep halfway through the burn, woke up, popped in the DVD, and nothing! I got curious, and opened up the ISO to find a single text file.

This disc contains a "UDF" file system and requires an operating system that supports the ISO-13346 "UDF" file system specification.

So is this a "Go Microsoft!" moment, or did I jack something up?

lollygag
06-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Vista Beta 2 x64..

1.2 G idle with all options Sidebar and Aero on lol.. it is pretty..
but it has serious issues in Maya 7.0 with my 7900GTX.. its very
similar to the GeForce refresh issues times 100.. totally unusable.
somtimes even all the viewports and half the timeline are gone..

and no drivers for Creative xFi cards in the x64 version.

forgot to add.. Defrag runs by default and constantly in the background.. you
can hear (and see) the endless drive activity

lolly

lollygag
06-11-2006, 06:27 PM
Woot.. Spent 2 hours downloading, another hour burning, fell asleep halfway through the burn, woke up, popped in the DVD, and nothing! I got curious, and opened up the ISO to find a single text file.

So is this a "Go Microsoft!" moment, or did I jack something up?

what OS are you on.. and how did you burn the DVD ? its an ISO image..

Kaostick
06-11-2006, 06:33 PM
I'm on XP sp2, and I burnt it with DeepBurner..

lollygag
06-11-2006, 06:42 PM
EDIT:.. wow.. guess i didnt really read your first post.. thats odd a 4 Gig text file..
i guess any file is actually a text file first.. try Nero.. it burned in minutes @ only 2x
speed as per the instuctions

Kaostick
06-11-2006, 07:10 PM
Just finished it with Nero, and now it works. :thumbsup: All I have to do now is decide if I want to try it on my only system. :D

lollygag
06-11-2006, 07:11 PM
you dont.. lol

but seriously.. its on my main sys.. needs to be to run it. idling using 1.3 gigs of ram now..

i just put it on a diff drive.. now when i startup i get a OS choice screen reminisent of 2000's..

"which Operating System would you like to boot to?

Microsoft Windows..
Earlier versions of Windows..

..lol

Kaostick
06-11-2006, 07:33 PM
Yeah, I'm planning on putting it on a completly seperate drive. Certainly not going to be using it daily though.

CupOWonton
06-11-2006, 08:33 PM
Thats just too much resources being used durring idle time.

UrbanFuturistic
06-11-2006, 08:58 PM
Just to check, what are people calculating as actual RAM usage?

Understanding memory usage in Windows 2000 (MS TechNet) (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/tips/w2mem.mspx)

The correct way is:

Total - Available - (yes, minus) System Cache = Actual RAM usage. It would also be useful if pagefile usage was included as a seperate figure.

For comparison, XP Pro with some basic tasks loaded uses:

Total: 1048048Kb
Minus Available: -572352Kb = 475696Kb
Minus System Cache: - 442944Kb = 32752Kb == 31.984375Mb

Commit Charge AKA Page File Use = 364900KB == 356.3465625Mb

lollygag
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM
this wont tell ya much.. and Sandra wont run..

http://lollys.org/perf.jpg

DrQuincy
06-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Read this (http://thelazyadmin.net/index.php?/archives/396-guid.html) before worrying too much about the memory issues.

prixatw
06-12-2006, 09:42 AM
Vista Beta 2 x64..

1.2 G idle with all options Sidebar and Aero on lol.. it is pretty..
but it has serious issues in Maya 7.0 with my 7900GTX.. its very
similar to the GeForce refresh issues times 100.. totally unusable.
somtimes even all the viewports and half the timeline are gone...

Is it the OpenGL killer that many suspected?

avinashlobo
06-12-2006, 09:49 AM
forgot to add.. Defrag runs by default and constantly in the background.. you
can hear (and see) the endless drive activityIf you check the Defrag options, you'll see that it's scheduled to run at 4am on Sundays. What you are probably hearing (and seeing) is the Search Indexer running in the background.

paintbox
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
That search indexer....isn't that a 'feature' from Windows 98 (SE) ?

I remember that binocular icon running at start-up, slowing down your system like 50%...

pixelmonk
06-12-2006, 01:17 PM
This isn't the site I had bookmarked before (now lost), but it gives you some tweaking information for optimizing XP for video/post:

http://www.videoguys.com/TweaksWINXPVE.html

another good tool is x-setup from x-teq.

The bottom line is.. never settle for what any OS gives you as a default setup, as none of them ever give you a completely tweaked out system up front.

avinashlobo
06-13-2006, 06:51 AM
That search indexer....isn't that a 'feature' from Windows 98 (SE) ?

I remember that binocular icon running at start-up, slowing down your system like 50%...It seems that you're way out of the loop with current local search capabilities of computers. I suggest you download and install the MSN toolbar for the desktop search feature and get an idea of how much instant search can change your computing life.

Yes, it slows your machine down. What were you expecting? Something for nothing? It's the eternal trade-off between features and performance. Pare your machine down to Neanderthal levels and you'll have the zippiest machine on the planet that does absolutely nothing.

Trust me on this one. With the zillions of files on your high capacity hard disks, you don't *want* instant search. You need it.

Check it out - http://toolbar.msn.com/ Install only the desktop search module, coz the others are pretty useless.

mech7
06-13-2006, 07:48 AM
Sorry but I don't.. I even turn fast indexing service off as I think it's a useless feature. If you organize your files properly you won't have any trouble finding them.

Trust me on this one. With the zillions of files on your high capacity hard disks, you don't *want* instant search. You need it.

avinashlobo
06-13-2006, 09:56 AM
The fast indexing service *is* a useless feature.

Instant desktop search isn't. You speak like this now, because you're not aware. Why don't you give it a try? When these guys say "instant search", it's not hype. It truly is instant. I reiterate, trust me on this one; this is going to be a standard everywhere pretty soon (it already is for the Mac, and will be for Vista as well; Linux can't be far behind - if they're there already, I apologize for not being aware of it)

Just check out the features - it's not just about finding files. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what exactly this can sniff out - here it is again for your convenience - toolbar.msn.com

ThomasMahler
06-13-2006, 11:21 AM
I agree, Desktop search is a very valueable tool in a modern operating system.

Linux isn't behind at all - Beagle is one of the best tools I've used. On Windows, I'm using Copernic Desktop search, OSX has it's Spotlight, Linux has Beagle.

Beagle even searches through your IM History, through Mails, Websites, everything - it's a really, really neat help when it comes to organizing and accessing files.

It's very, very useful.

Kaostick
06-13-2006, 01:25 PM

I'm with mech7 on this one. I prefer to keep my system resources as free as possible, and installing any kind of tool/search bar is just going to waste resounces that could be better spent on pushing polys. I know where my files are, and if I *need* to seach, (a rare occasion) windows search is usually good enough. I won't use anything like this until they force me to. :banghead:

avinashlobo
06-13-2006, 02:18 PM
You're in luck! Vista *will* force you to use the instant search.

Also, you're not getting the point - I don't *need* to search either (mostly), it's just that instant searching makes my life many degrees easier.

It's like the remote control. I know I can get up from my seat, head over to the TV & change the channels on that, stepping one at a time. But why on earth would I do that, when I can sit-back and flick a button & in fact, key in the exact channel number that I want?

Erm...back to the point then -

- I can locate files in about 3 seconds usually anywhere on my hard drive by typing out 3 or 4 characters. Compare this to opening up Explorer and manually navigating to its folder. I do know where the file is located. It's just that I now have it at my finger tips. Here's where it pays off. The little extra memory that you were reserving for those extra polys has now paid itself back by making you super-efficient (unless every project you work on involves poly-counts that brings your machine to its knees & you thank yourself for not 'wasting' that 10-20 MB of RAM)

- I can locate files based on their content. Currently the default Windows search isn't capable of this. I can look inside PDF files, DOC files, TXT files & many other files as well. Instantly. Scenario - say you downloaded an Alex Alvarez interview and saved it. This was 8 months ago. Now you want to read it again. You know you have it. But damn! What was the file name?? Here's what you do - type "alex alvarez" & it'll be in your face in 2 seconds.

- Some colleague wants a font. He asks you, "dude, d'you have the Serpentine font?" You say, "Lemme check." You type "serp" and you know. Instantly.

Dozens of other scenarios, but the point is made.

Also, I hate toolbars myself, which is why I don't have a single one visible. The Desktop Search module of the MSN toolbar can be operated independently. It doesn't require the toolbar. The only reason those MS bastards have bundled it together is to promote the toolbar, because they know how good the Desktop Search is.

Nevertheless, I have the toolbar turned off & have the Desktop Search box displayed to the right of my taskbar and I'm pretty pleased that all the info on my PC is only a couple of key taps away.

You say you want to max out your system performance. Perhaps sometimes you should let your system max out your performance.

Kaostick
06-13-2006, 03:46 PM
You're in luck! Vista *will* force you to use the instant search.

Also, you're not getting the point - I don't *need* to search either (mostly), it's just that instant searching makes my life many degrees easier.

First of all, keep you snide remarks to yourself.. I havn't been forced to search yet, and I've been using Vista for 2 days now. Not long I know, but they still haven't forced me to.

Second of all, you're not getting my point. I don't *want* to search. I prefer keeping all my files organized. Need to find an interview I downloaded? C:\Interviews\AAlvarez..

I've never been been maxed out by a system, no matter how clean of an install, or how loaded up with "convience" software it is. All I want my system to do is store my files, and run my programs.

avinashlobo
06-13-2006, 09:20 PM
Hey, it's all good man. There were no snide remarks in there. I have an unfortunate touch for sarcasm, but it's always in a good vein. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

By Vista 'forcing' you, I meant that the instant search is built into the operating system and is the default search method. Perhaps they'll include a straightforward option to switch it off & revert to the classic search method. They should. Choice is a good thing.

Any which way - good luck dude. :)

Oh yeah, another thing - if you're using Vista Beta 2, don't rely on the current implementation of the instant search as your initial experience. I believe it's a bit buggy & broken & slow (relatively) right now. It will, of course, be fixed for the final version - it's one of the features they're touting as the biggest enhancements.

mech7
06-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Damn it is eaiting up all my CPU on my laptop 0_o I hope this is not normal

http://www.upload-picture.com/viewimage.php?file=/images/vwD44500.jpg

Saurus
06-14-2006, 06:03 AM
Do they have a tablet PC version for download?

avinashlobo
06-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Damn it is eaiting up all my CPU on my laptop 0_o I hope this is not normal

There still seem to be quite a few bugs to sort out. I've experienced unusually high memory usage by the Search Indexer & the Desktop Window Manager at (seemingly) random occasions. Rebooting fixes these.

On a side note, with the system set to Maximum Performance, the response is pretty good, but Windows Explorer looks like junk & seems less usable than the one on XP.

mech7
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
In the config scren it says tablet pc, so i guess it's a all in one

Do they have a tablet PC version for download?

mech7
06-14-2006, 09:15 AM
Yeah I hate it to save something to the desktop fast or browsing through directories, they kinda made it suck. Also the start menu is kinda slow to use :(

On a side note, with the system set to Maximum Performance, the response is pretty good, but Windows Explorer looks like junk & seems less usable than the one on XP.

Spin99
06-15-2006, 07:11 PM
Ok I actually think XP is a tough act to follow :D

For an OS to have that much requirements it needs to be better than anything out atm.
Also why doesn't MS make a slim version of Vista and make Aero with it's "mad" requirements a separate module?

Dunno, crazy stuff..

amfantasy
06-15-2006, 08:35 PM
If I remember right, the Aero thing only used a extra 200mhz

Geta-Ve
06-16-2006, 09:20 AM
gonna have to try this out when i get home. question though, when you install does it install OVER xp? or alongside it?

Geta-Ve
06-18-2006, 04:51 AM
wow, 3.15 gigs... I dunno if I want it anymore. I can't even burn to dvd hahaha. Oh well. Wish there was another way to install it.. suppose daemon wouldn't really work eh?

avinashlobo
06-18-2006, 05:27 AM
Also why doesn't MS make a slim version of Vista and make Aero with it's "mad" requirements a separate module?You can switch Aero off. It does speed things up quite dramatically right now, but I'm guessing the final version will close the gap by cleaning up some Aero code. Also, you'll see plenty more compatibility with graphics cards & hardware drivers by the time Vista ships, so that'll help performance quite a bit.

gonna have to try this out when i get home. question though, when you install does it install OVER xp? or alongside it?If you want to keep XP, you should install it on a separate partition and you can dual boot. While a clean, formatted partition is strongly recommended, I've tested installing on a partition with data on it & all the data was untouched by the Vista setup.

wow, 3.15 gigs... I dunno if I want it anymore. I can't even burn to dvd hahaha. Oh well. Wish there was another way to install it.. suppose daemon wouldn't really work eh?
DVDs were 4.7 GB, last I checked. The ISO burns fine to a single DVD. To speed things up you might want to just extract the ISO to another partition & run the setup from that. It took me 29 minutes to get to the Vista desktop from the time of double-clicking on the setup icon, which had me plenty pleased!

Not sure about Daemon working; haven't tested (not needed)

If I remember right, the Aero thing only used a extra 200mhzDon't know about this, but I do know that Aero is a bitch right now for two major reasons - performance & application compatibility, both of which should be eased out by release time with the release of graphic drivers & application updates.

Ok I actually think XP is a tough act to follow There's plenty love gone into this Vista thing. I think it'll be a clear hit, not because of the visual jazziness, but rather because of the superb usability enhancements throughout the UI & the OS. There are still some bizarre, useless things in there right now like Flip3D, and I hope they sort out the junk before Vista ships.

GoranNF
06-18-2006, 08:32 AM
Nah,daemon doesn't work,because you have to reboot your pc to do the installation,and then daemon isn't running anymore.

playmesumch00ns
06-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Spurious comment ahead...

Vista fell out the ugly tree and hit every damn branch on the way down. Jesus it's ugly! You'd think with all those gajillions of dollars microsoft has they could afford to hire a decent designer to make a nice-looking interface? I know they're trying to differentiate themselves from apple, but seriously...

mech7
06-18-2006, 09:07 PM
:scream:Vista effects are nice but im going back to windows stripped...

http://www.upload-picture.com/images/iju64753.jpg

to compare:

paintbox
06-18-2006, 09:33 PM
You might be interested in reading this:

http://blogs.msdn.com/philipsu/archive/2006/06/14/631438.aspx

Philip Su, who works on Vista, talks about why Vista is taking so long. A nice look at the difficulties of managing a -giant- software project.

mech7
06-18-2006, 09:49 PM
If they really onlu write 5000 lines of code a year, they should hire some different programmers.. do they only work 2 days a week or something.

Kinda funny that this article is on msdn as it's not really good advertising lol

Lest those of you who wrote 5,000 lines of code last weekend pass a kidney stone at the thought of Windows developers writing only a thousand lines of code a year, realize that the average software developer in the US only produces around (brace yourself) 6200 lines a year. So Windows is in bad shape -- but only by a constant, not by an order of magnitude. And if it makes you feel any better, realize that the average US developer has fallen in KLOC productivity since 1999, when they produced about 9000 lines a year. So Windows isn't alone in this.

Geta-Ve
06-19-2006, 02:26 AM
soo, the only way to install vista is with a dvd ehh. That blows. :p oh well

mech7
06-19-2006, 05:36 AM
usually you where able to copy the i386 dir in windows and rn from there... not sure this works with vista though.. dvdrw are cheap :p

soo, the only way to install vista is with a dvd ehh. That blows. :p oh well

Br1
06-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Nah,daemon doesn't work,because you have to reboot your pc to do the installation,and then daemon isn't running anymore.

Well I didnt have a working DvD on the computer I wanted it to be installed, so I just used Daemon Tools to load the Iso. The installation went fine... I thought I'd let you guys know.

GoranNF
06-19-2006, 06:19 AM
Well I didnt have a working DvD on the computer I wanted it to be installed, so I just used Daemon Tools to load the Iso. The installation went fine... I thought I'd let you guys know.
Wow,that surprises me.I though that when you turn of the computer windows isn't running anymore,so how could daemon tools run then?Thanx for letting us know:thumbsup:

avinashlobo
06-19-2006, 06:27 AM
:scream:Vista effects are nice but im going back to windows stripped...

http://www.upload-picture.com/images/iju64753.jpg

to compare:

Hey Chris, you seem to have constant 100% CPU usage. Is this correct? Have you identified the process that's doing this? Is your indexing complete? Check this from Control Panel -> System and Maintenance -> Indexing Options.

My machine idles with CPU usage fluctuating between 0 & 4%, with the index up to date, so you seem to be having an unnecessarily rough time.

Hey Br1, thanks for the confirmation, I wasn't sure if Daemon installs a low-level driver to fool the system into recognizing an extra drive. I am now (I think :D ).

Geta-Ve
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
nice.. if anyone else has done it let me know :D

Geta-Ve
06-19-2006, 10:20 PM
Hey when it asks for product key what do I put in..?

I have tried my winxp(home) key but that doesn't work.. I have tried all x's

avinashlobo
06-20-2006, 04:38 AM
You'll get a unique key by downloading it from the Microsoft site. They e-mail you the key along with the download link.

Saurus
06-20-2006, 06:56 AM

I got my key, but I had to leave the download page, but it won't allow me to get back to download page...trade you?:)

anybody knows how to get back to download page?

gruvsyco
06-20-2006, 07:41 AM

You get the license key from microsoft. It's free.

gruvsyco
06-20-2006, 07:44 AM
I've installed it a couple of times on the same machine. Since I don't have a DVD writer, I've used MagicISO. I've installed from MagicISO and have also installed from a partition that I copied the files to from MagicISO.

Geta-Ve
06-20-2006, 04:07 PM
well I realised later that you had to go through the whole microsoft validation etc to get the key.. got it, installed vista and now i get blue screen everytime I start up normally.. I can start up in safe mode no problem.. but I can't use windows update for some reason.. I click it and nothing happens.. -_-

any help would rock.. I have been searching on google for about 6 hours..

zeilstra999
06-20-2006, 05:18 PM
Has anyone tried to load Vista on an Intel-based Mac yet? Was wondering about performance and if there were any issues.

gruvsyco
06-20-2006, 06:26 PM
well I realised later that you had to go through the whole microsoft validation etc to get the key.. got it, installed vista and now i get blue screen everytime I start up normally.. I can start up in safe mode no problem.. but I can't use windows update for some reason.. I click it and nothing happens.. -_-

any help would rock.. I have been searching on google for about 6 hours..
Just curious. Did you run the compatibility check before you installed? Did you install to a new partition or over your old one?

Geta-Ve
06-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Just curious. Did you run the compatibility check before you installed? Did you install to a new partition or over your old one?

definately ran the compatibility check, all was clear, everything from what I could tell was fine.. so I installed :p and now only safe mode works.. :( I can't figure out what is being loaded normally that stops it from working..

also if anyone cares.. (i don't know where else to put this) here is the dump..

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BLUESCREEN
OS Version: 6.0.5384.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000008e
BCP1: C0000005
BCP2: 00000000
BCP3: 89DC1AD0
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_0_5384
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini062006-01.dmp
C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-95843-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

and part of the blue screen (i wrote the whole thing out on paper haha)

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your compute

If this is the first time you have seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen appears again follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try changing video adapters.

Check with your hadware vendors for any BIOS updates, Disable BIOS memory options such as chaching of shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advance Startup options, and then select safe mode. Technical info - shown in crash dump above..

pgp_protector
06-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Well clearing off a Harddrive now to try Vista on (going to do a clean install)

I just went ahead and got the DVD versions (2 DVDs, 1 X 86, 1X64 Version)

I like it that they allow you to install it on up to 10 systems :)

CGTalk Moderation
06-20-2006, 10:01 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.