PDA

View Full Version : Modeling After Binding

Blums
06-09-2006, 01:58 AM
Hi there!

I've got a character all bound and weighted to a skeleton and all rigged up.

No I found that I need to move some vertices around just both because of error and client request.

These changes seem too minimal for me to have to export weight maps and remodel and rebind cause that's just too much work.

Its easy in XSI because of how history is divided into categories (Construction Modes). But Maya doesn't have this.

Can someone suggest an alternative workaround?

THanks!

tpalamar
06-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Actually, its real easy to do in Maya as well. Select your geometry node (shape or transform it doesn't matter) in the Hypergraph and choose Input and Output Connections from the Graph pull down menu. (There is also a shortcut for it in the menu bar, the one to the left of the red cross). You now get every node attached to your geometry. You want the original shape node attached to your geometry. It is easy to find because it is a lighter gray than all of the other nodes(the hidden shade). Select this node. Go into the attribute editor and choose the Object Display tab. Notice Intermediate Object is checked (henced why it is hidden). Uncheck this. This turns on another wireframe in the exact position of your bound character, when it was originally bound. Modifying this updates your bound character. When done, just turn on Intermediate object again.

To make things easier, make your actual bound geometry an intermediate object so it won't get in the way of selecting things.

Also the intermediate object does not have a shading group applied to it, so it only shows up as a wireframe (no shaded mode). Simply assign a material to it to see it in shaded mode.

Blums
06-09-2006, 04:28 AM
Thanks for that! Works like a charm!

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2006, 04:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.