PDA

View Full Version : moving from LW to maya

tal flint
06-08-2006, 10:33 PM
Hi
our studio is switching to maya and most people are LW users.

i'm looking for some introduction to maya material in pdf/word files so they have something to go back to to review the lessons.
i know maya has a great help system, but we were asked to do that and we realy don't have enough time.
if anyone can direct to such files that would be a great help.

thanks

Tal

akeissami
06-09-2006, 04:43 AM
you might find this helpful...

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/lightwave_to_maya_guide.pdf

good luck

tal flint
06-09-2006, 04:56 AM
thanks, i have this one.i'm looking for a short "getting into maya" sort of thing until all the books and dvd's arrive.

brenly
06-09-2006, 05:16 AM
http://www.simplymaya.com/

also check out a script I put on this forum not to long ago .. hide faces .. handy for for you LW guys

forflowers
06-09-2006, 07:26 AM
what's your studio called? and why are yous switching? (just curious)

tal flint
06-09-2006, 07:44 AM
well....we're switching because we're starting to work on a big project (as big as they get :-)), and LW at it's current state is a pain to work with.

i was also a LW user up until ver 7.5 (about 3 years ago) and although it's still a good software it just doesnt compare to the others as it did a few years ago.
you can do anything you want with it (after all it's just a tool), but it tkaes more time and demands too many work arounds to get there.

the whole thing is kind of a rush job, so we realy have no time to write something for those who need to transfer, so we're looking around for something like a maya basics pdf.

Omita
06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
It was frustrating when I switched 4 years ago... it's hard going from a pro in one app and feeling like a newbie on a new app. For me you also need to change your frame of mind which is the hardest part.

I still use my SetValue tool... I really love Maya's snaps and I think it's a great modeling tool, its just a different mind set then LW. I would make sure you go into "Windows > Preferences" and turn under "Selection" and "Polygons Selection" toggle "Select Faces with" WHOLE FACE.

It's in the middle of the window. It will help out a lot.

-Hays

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2006, 08:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.