PDA

View Full Version : Rendering as uncompress .avi (Huffyuv codec)

Fess
06-08-2006, 09:32 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how I can render out a movie as a uncompress .avi using perhaps Huffyuv codec? ( I use this codec in my VirtualDub/TMPGencoder tasks)

I need the movie to be totally lossless and in .avi format so I can use WindowsMediaEncoder to create a certain kind of stream.

Can any seasoned pros advise me on how to save as avi in aftereffects is possible?

Thanks
Fess

beenyweenies
06-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering how I can render out a movie as a uncompress .avi using perhaps Huffyuv codec? ( I use this codec in my VirtualDub/TMPGencoder tasks)

I need the movie to be totally lossless and in .avi format so I can use WindowsMediaEncoder to create a certain kind of stream.

Can any seasoned pros advise me on how to save as avi in aftereffects is possible?

Thanks
Fess

When you render out, select Lossless, which is avi. Then in the output module settings select a format option, aka codec of choice.

As a side note, there seem to be a lot of people here who are using AE for things that it clearly isn't designed for, including processing ripped movies. AE is a professional design application, so naturally the engineers saw no reason to include native support for open source codecs that are not only scarcely used, but that no professional AE user would have a need for. That said, if your codec of choice isn't showing in the "format options" window, that means AE probably doesn't support it. This is not a bug.

Fess
06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
beeny,

Thanks for responding.
I'll apply your suggestions & see what happens.

Regarding the codec, I'm just now learning AE to enhance workflow with my animations (Maya), but its so powerful that I'd like to move all my occasional video editing task over to it.

But if certain codecs aren't supported, not a biggie.

Regards
Fess

beenyweenies
06-10-2006, 01:34 AM
beeny,

Thanks for responding.
I'll apply your suggestions & see what happens.

Regarding the codec, I'm just now learning AE to enhance workflow with my animations (Maya), but its so powerful that I'd like to move all my occasional video editing task over to it.

But if certain codecs aren't supported, not a biggie.

Regards
Fess

If you aren't married to any one particular format/codec, I would suggest using Quicktime with the Animation Codec. This is the industry standard format of choice, and delivers excellent results.

Fess
06-10-2006, 02:35 PM
In the ouput module settings : Quicktime Movie
In the Compression settings: Animation

Actually haven't heard of that codec.....
Is that how I use the animation codec?

Thanks
Fess

scrimski
06-10-2006, 02:43 PM
Yes.

I wouldn't choose AE for editing, Avid offers a limited free edition of its Xpress DV, which is much more comfortable when it comes to editing than AE.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/index.asp

beenyweenies
06-10-2006, 03:17 PM
In the ouput module settings : Quicktime Movie
In the Compression settings: Animation

Actually haven't heard of that codec.....
Is that how I use the animation codec?

Thanks
Fess

Yep. The animation codec is lossless, non-interlaced and produces excellent results for graphics, animations, text etc. As I said, this is the gold standard file type of choice for virtually all broadcast and animation facilities. If you are just exporting video from After Effects, animation might not be the best since it isn't made for deailing with interlaced footage. If you ARE just exporting raw video (with no effects, graphics or text) uncompressed AVI is a good way to go - choose "lossless" from the output module.

As far as I'm concerned, these are the only two standard-issue formats that exist worth using for professional projects. Non-standard options include the excellent Blackmagic codec (for use with the Blackmagic decklink cards (http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/sd/)) or, if you are working with an avid system, the Meridien codec.

CGTalk Moderation
06-10-2006, 03:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.