PDA

View Full Version : J.J. Abrams to Direct Star Trek XI

Signal2Noise
06-08-2006, 07:44 PM
It's kind of old news but I didn't see any mention of it in the forums.

J.J. Abrams is becoming the next Gene Roddenberry.

Paramount is breathing life into its "Star Trek" franchise by setting "Mission: Impossible III" helmer J.J. Abrams to produce and direct the 11th "Trek" feature, aiming for a 2008 release. Damon Lindelof and Bryan Burk, Abrams' producing team from "Lost," also will produce the yet-to-be-titled feature.

LINKY (http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117941815?categoryid=10&cs=1&s=h&p=0)

I'm pretty sure (at least 15% sure) that there will be some CG work in the movie so that's why it's in CG News. ;)

I think I stopped watching Star Trek movies after ep. 4 but will likely see this when it's out.

CENOBITE
06-09-2006, 05:47 AM
Who...? What...? When... ? Where...? How...?

I thought the Star Trek franchise was ended. Hmmm... I wonder if he will take it in the direction Brian Singer wanted too.

NanoGator
06-09-2006, 06:30 AM
Who...? What...? When... ? Where...? How...?

I thought the Star Trek franchise was ended. Hmmm... I wonder if he will take it in the direction Brian Singer wanted too.

What'd he want to do?

albedo4800hp
06-09-2006, 09:08 AM
There is no need for Startrek anymore especially not with kick ass series like BSG out there!

spmonahan
06-11-2006, 01:47 AM
There is no need for Startrek anymore especially not with kick ass series like BSG out there!

I love BSG as much as the next guy, but the classic Kirk & Spock movies were great. Enterprise is pretty sweet so far too (I'm in the middle of the 2nd season).

I would love to see a Trek movie where they weren't so caught up in "technology". I swear, watching Voyager, it was like an episode wasn't complete unless they harped on about some "technology" for half the running time. Star Trek needs good characters, not gizmos.

kmest
06-11-2006, 08:49 AM
hopefully they make this one right and ressurect the franchise......with good storyand direction,they can make it great....and this time i hope they go for Enterprise crew...not the old Next Gen......i like to see Tpol again

albedo4800hp
06-11-2006, 10:23 AM
I love BSG as much as the next guy, but the classic Kirk & Spock movies were great. Enterprise is pretty sweet so far too (I'm in the middle of the 2nd season).

Hmm well Kirk & Spock movies I don't know I have mixed feelings about them. Startrek I was a dyer half of the movie is spend to get that stupid ship out the docks and what the f*ck is with that uniforms. Startrek II & III are good no doubt! But IV ouch and V is by far the absolut worst Startrek movie ever if you asked me. Not surprising when you check who directed it. Startrek VI was okay again. But I agree with Enterprise by far probably the best Startrek series ever (and it got canned).

spmonahan
06-11-2006, 04:19 PM
Hmm well Kirk & Spock movies I don't know I have mixed feelings about them. Startrek I was a dyer half of the movie is spend to get that stupid ship out the docks and what the f*ck is with that uniforms. Startrek II & III are good no doubt! But IV ouch and V is by far the absolut worst Startrek movie ever if you asked me. Not surprising when you check who directed it. Startrek VI was okay again. But I agree with Enterprise by far probably the best Startrek series ever (and it got canned).

I'm with you except on part IV: loved it. What was great about the old films is that there was an arc from 2-4 (and a bit on 5, though, like you said it was gawdawful) and character development.

heavyness
06-11-2006, 07:45 PM
so the people from Lost are actually on the holodeck of the enterprise? it all makes sense now!

JA-forreal
06-11-2006, 09:54 PM

I would love to see a Trek movie where they weren't so caught up in "technology". I swear, watching Voyager, it was like an episode wasn't complete unless they harped on about some "technology" for half the running time. Star Trek needs good characters, not gizmos.

I think that Gene Roddenberry's concepts were really about technology throughout the Star Trek sagas. If you noticed, the Trek series promoted highly educated social concepts. Most of the characters had strong math, science skills and could toss around algorithms like basic arithmetic.

Maybe BSG is a bit low tech compared to the 70's version. Folks have complained about that point on my end. I like it in any case without the laser power and with the wind up clocks. Some SciFi buffs are really into tech. You could say they they are rather "caught up" in it. That's why many of us are here talking CGtalk.:)

JA-forreal
06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
so the people from Lost are actually on the holodeck of the enterprise? it all makes sense now!

Hehe, I'm waiting for the holo grid to appear next season.

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2006, 09:57 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.