PDA

View Full Version : CNN:'Grand Theft Auto' publisher plays it safe

RobertoOrtiz
06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Quote:
"Take Two Interactive Software cancels controversial game after previous run-ins with ratings board."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/06/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes

-R

pixelmonk
06-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Quote:
"Take Two Interactive Software cancels controversial game after previous run-ins with ratings board."

http://money.cnn.com/2006/06/06/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm?cnn=yes

-R

wussies. They made millions off the controversy. They had a decent sized fan base. They yield to some ratings board? Wussies.

csmallfield
06-08-2006, 03:13 PM
that was a really stupid article, it was incredibly biased, even for CNN. Saying that they were rightly criticized for hot coffee, a hack by the way, and "got off easier than they should". At least they mention that some games get cancelled for all kinds of reasons, since they are guessing on why this one was cancelled. The truth is games get cancelled ALL the time! Nearly finished games get cancelled constantly. Sometimes finished games get cancelled. What a goofy paranoid world we live in. Where all video games are out to corrupt the youth, yeah right, have these people met game developers?

danshewan
06-08-2006, 03:32 PM
wussies. They made millions off the controversy. They had a decent sized fan base. They yield to some ratings board? Wussies.

Agreed. Movies have ratings to limit the amount of underage viewers seeing the content that the self-imposed guardians of public morality deem 'unsuitable'. Games have similar ratings because.....

Well, after this little episode, I'm not sure. This pandering to the authorities over what is perceived as 'unsuitable' games content will only damage the following that Take Two have enjoyed through their previously uncompromising approach to games with risque content. I'm not a fan of gratuitous violence / sex / drugs for it's own sake, but to alter their original plans to cater to the 'powers that be'? Weak, man - really weak.

spurcell
06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
that was a really stupid article, it was incredibly biased, even for CNN. Saying that they were rightly criticized for hot coffee, a hack by the way, and "got off easier than they should". At least they mention that some games get cancelled for all kinds of reasons, since they are guessing on why this one was cancelled. The truth is games get cancelled ALL the time! Nearly finished games get cancelled constantly. Sometimes finished games get cancelled. What a goofy paranoid world we live in. Where all video games are out to corrupt the youth, yeah right, have these people met game developers?

While I agree with you, this piece was more editorial then article. You just have to glean the facts from it and ignore the opinion...

M.E.L.
06-08-2006, 07:23 PM
Silly writers and reporters... the "got off easier than they should have" comment is hilarious, I'll have to print that out and tape it to my desk :)

On the wussies note, you try dealing with lawyer calls daily, news crews lingering about everywhere waiting for you and all the other public fiasco that comes with it and see if you still think it "wussy" of them. End of the day you're running a studio, not a public circus.

switchblade327
06-08-2006, 07:25 PM

I don't know man. While I agree there typically isn't any such thing as bad publicity, their stock DID take a huge hit and recalling unsold copies of the game, removing content, retesting, reprinting then re-releasing a game is not at all inexpensive. I think what they thought would be fun publicity stunt exploded in their faces.

I firmly believe that the government overreacts to clearly-labeled games and that the addition of sex to a game where you can chainsaw people to death suddenly makes it worse for kids is absurd, but that's a cultural debate; not a business one.

However, Rockstar has pretty consistently goaded anti-game critics into action but doing the absolute most controversial thing they can, not in the name of art or free-speech but in the name of stirring up more controversy because that equals publicity. In this way, I do think they hurt the games industry in the long term by handing the critics ammunition, just to try to make a quick buck.

switchblade327
06-08-2006, 07:31 PM
<Duplicate post; I can't figure out how to delete!>

CupOWonton
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Here's the problem. " Some" " Mild" and " Excessive" ... thos are not numbers, you can not quantify those in any way.

So when you rate things based on " Some" nudity, or " Mild" violence, or "Excessive Gore" People arent exactly sure what they should expect.

So we get BS ratings that dont realy mean anything, but exist soley for jerk's like Jack Thompson to pick at and make it seem like some kind of scandal that a game NOT MEANT FOR CHILDREN, may have hidden scenes somewhere in it that even the developers found nessisary to lock away and cant be found again unless completly hacked into.

"Oh theres more blood than we expected"... when they told you that peoples heads may explode, what did you think? 13 and under?

PhantomDesign
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
The article is deceptive, the cause for the cancelation was never mentioned.

Take Two was rightly criticized for the Hot Coffee debacle - and, in all honesty, probably got off easier than it should have (http://money.cnn.com/2005/07/21/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm).
So much for unbiased reporting. OH, and another condescending remark . . .

The nudity in "Oblivion" basically came by stretching a renamed version of the male 'skin' over the female model, which was only possible by using a modification created by a player (presumably a particularly lonely one).

But the cancellation of the game might be the first sign that Take Two is paying much closer attention to its image - both with its industry peers and its investors.
Again, the reason for the cancelation was NEVER MENTIONED.

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2006, 05:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.