PDA

View Full Version : Free Plug-in TimeJumper

edfenner
06-08-2006, 03:14 PM
>> This is a newer version R2 - it allows jumping backward too <<

I have a few little plugins I wrote to help my workflow. Today someone was looking over my shoulder and said they would like this one - so, I thought I would give it to everybody.

I am currently doing a bunch of motion graphics stuff (mograph came just in time) that is very time based. My storyboard shows changes by seconds. So I am jumping ahead in the timeline for the next action half a second, a second etc. at a time.

The other thing about this project is that they are being done at 4 different frame rates.

So that is why I put TimeJumper together. It gives you a pallete with a .5, 1,2,3,5,10 second button on it. Dock and just push the button to jump ahead that amount of time in the time line. It determines the amount of frames needed for the time from the frame rate you have set in your project settings, so you don't have to figure it out.

It isn't much and certainly a one trick pony - but if you find your self on frame 137 and know you have to jump ahead 3.5 seconds - a couple clicks of the mouse is faster than the calculation (at least for me). And I don't make the mistake of thinking I was working in a different frame rate than I reallly am.

Hope someone else finds it useful.

ed

soccerrprp
06-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks Ed. Will take a look at it and play around a bit...

tcastudios
06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
Thanks ed, thats a cool one:) Would it be possible to add jumping back in time as well?

Cheers
Lennart

edfenner
06-08-2006, 11:07 PM
Hey Lennart - funny you should ask.
I was thinking that would be useful too and thought, if anybody asks for it, I will do it.
So, yeah I will. I have a couple of other ideas that could enhance it a little too.

ed

edfenner
06-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Hey Lennart,
Suddenly got called out of town last week - sorry I didn't get that update to you.
Should have it done in the next couple of days.

ed

tcastudios
06-13-2006, 07:34 PM
Thats cool. Looking forward to it! Will make it very usefull.

Cheers
Lennart

JoelOtron
06-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Very nice! I'm used to jumping back and forth 10 frames at a time in AE (command-shift-left/right arrow on a mac). Will be helpful to be able to jump around the timeline this way in c4d.

edfenner
06-17-2006, 08:44 PM
Here is a new version - i added jumping backward. I also changed the names of the buttons, making them shorter and added a 1/4 second jump too.

Hope this makes it more useful to anyone using it!

ed

tcastudios
06-18-2006, 12:37 AM
Hey, Ed! That's sweet! Many thanks.

May I be so crued, that I might ask you a Q here. I'm trying to make a simple script that would be close to what you've done. I'm tired and confused atm and are failing woth a simple task- set a value back to the document(I must be missing something obviuos here)
What it should do is set the PreView Range to the document range minus 1 frame.
That makes a loop. I can get the document length - but not set it back again.....
I get incompatible values in trying (object/float)
If you see whats missing I'd be reliefed.

Cheers and thanks again.
Lennart
var start = 0;

var framerate = doc->GetFps();
var t = doc->GetTime()->GetSecond();
var lframe = doc->GetTime()->GetFrame(framerate);

var mintime = doc->GetMinTime()->GetFrame(doc->GetFps());
var maxtime = doc->GetMaxTime()->GetFrame(doc->GetFps());

var minloop = mintime + start;
var maxloop = maxtime - 1 + start;

println(mintime);

doc->SetLoopMinTime(minloop);
doc->SetLoopMaxTime(maxloop);

edfenner
06-18-2006, 09:18 PM
Lennart,
I am running about with my laptop right now. But, I will take a look at it later and see if something jumps out at me. I know how confusing COFFEE can be and how there are so few resources to get help...so, I will do my best!

ed

tcastudios
06-18-2006, 09:41 PM
thanks ed. I -think- I'm one step closer.. I'll get the Container of doc and then I should SetData(??PREVIEW??, value) to the Container and then set the Container back to doc.

However, unlike other ID's that can be cought by dragging them into the EditorCommandLine,
I haven't managed to find/guess the ID of PreViewLoopminTime and Max.
I even searched the new 9.6 SDK (C++) to get any hints, but it also only sais SetMinLoopTime() and no ID info.

Cheers
Lennart.

PS I'd recommend putting the Plugin link back to your first post, or it will "dissapear" because of junk posts like this one:) DS

edfenner
06-19-2006, 08:51 PM
Hey Lennart,
I had this same issue with my little plug-in - the problem is that SetLoopMinTime is part of the BaseTime class. So, you can't set it directly with doc-> you have to update the class and then send that to the doc.

Hope that helps!

ed

tcastudios
06-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Thanks ed. I'll check out what that means.

Cheers
Lennart

edfenner
06-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Hey Lennart - did you get that figured out?
I see a lot of posts from you... must be working on something big and cool!!

ed

tcastudios
06-25-2006, 05:30 PM
Hi ed.
No I haven't solved it just yet, just not enough time atm. Will get at it thou later:)
It is just meant for a simple "set preview" option. Clicking it and preview is set to the scene duration minus one frame (either without the last or twithout he first).
90% of what I do are loops, so that's why it would help/speed up things.

Cheers
Lennart

rizon
06-27-2006, 11:59 PM
very handy, thanks!!

edfenner
06-29-2006, 10:02 PM
@ Rizon - you bet, glad you found it useful. I have a couple of other little guys like this that will probably get posted soon.

ed

tcastudios
06-29-2006, 11:42 PM
Love to see what's cooking:)

Cheers
Lennart

danb
07-02-2006, 05:01 AM
Thanks for this. Could be useful for character animation. Jump 4 frames, set keyframe, jump 4 frames set keyframe, very useful.

jondoe0ne
07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
here it does jump 1/2 secs or whatever time i need, but it doesn't redraw the viewport automatically, so i have to do this by hand... what am i missing? can you make it automatically redraw the viewport?

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2006, 03:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.