PDA

View Full Version : IK pole vector orientation

CiaranM
06-08-2006, 02:02 PM
HI,
sorry if this has been covered already, but I can't quite find the answer to my problem. I'm creating a simple 3 joint ik chain (a finger), but have encountered a problem. When setting up the ik handle (rotation plane) for three fingers of the hand, all works as expected. However for two of the fingers, after placing the ik handle, I find that the pole vector for the chain is pointing in the wrong direction (90 degrees to the side, rather than straight up). So, when moving the handle, the chain bends along the wrong axis.

I can translate the pole vector or use the twist control to place it pointing straight up, but of course this rotates the whole chain and messes up the geometry.

So my questions are how can I fix this ik chain so that it behaves properly and why is the pole vector pointing in the wrong direction in the first place?

Thanks very much.

NolanSW
06-08-2006, 08:22 PM
You probably didn't set the bones prefered angle. This tells the ik solver which axis to rotate.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2006, 08:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.