PDA

View Full Version : Brothers Strause (Hydraulx Owners) to direct AVP2

jake_$teed
06-08-2006, 02:58 AM
Congrats Boys.
Make it better than the first one, please.

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/index.php?Show=6571&Template=newsfull

My Fault
06-08-2006, 03:02 AM
Wow, congrats! Look at it this way, at least you don't have to follow up on a huge hit so there should be a little less pressure. Either way, I will definitely go to this one in the theatres to lend support. Here's hoping it kicks a$$!

Daniel-B
06-08-2006, 03:39 AM
Congrats guys. I know how long you've wanted this oppurtunity. Good job.

Solothores
06-08-2006, 04:00 AM
Aye congratulations. Support is guaranteed.
Looking forward to what you guys come up with. :thumbsup:

Jozvex
06-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Great great great! Congrats!

talos72
06-08-2006, 05:09 AM
AVP was such a missed opportunity. Hopefully the sequel would do much better. There were talks about Ridley Scott doing another Alien solo film, but I guess Fox studios are hung up on AVP franchise.

ftaswin
06-08-2006, 05:09 AM
Welldone Greg and Colin!

Looking forward for it!

Ft

Bonedaddy
06-08-2006, 05:20 AM
Congrats!

Please, ditch the script about them touching down on earth and fighting in K-Mart or whateverthehell it was. I'd say make it better than the first one, but really, nowhere to go but up.

Guess we'll be seeing even less of Jackdeth's caustic posts, though. Pity.

ndog
06-08-2006, 05:35 AM
I'm hoping for the best but don't expect miracles if they are not given the budget or authority to make necessary changes without some suit looking over their shoulders. I still remember Starship Troopers 2.

RobertoOrtiz
06-08-2006, 05:39 AM
WHOA!

We better get some scoops guys!

Congrats!

-R

Lone Deranger
06-08-2006, 07:15 AM
So what happened to John Bruno?

paulrus
06-08-2006, 11:20 AM
Awesome news Colin & Greg!

I seriously hope you're going to give Roberto some exclusives as things progress.

mech7
06-08-2006, 12:01 PM
I hope you will go more back to the first Predator movie... in the jungle some buffed up bodybuilders and a shitload of guns and then offcourse with predators and aliens killing in the jungle.

Pixero
06-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Congrats! :thumbsup:

Ed Bittner
06-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Go get 'em, guys! Do your stuff. Maybe we'll get a version that will stand up to the subject matter.
E.

Icarus
06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Brilliant, all the best guys and to everyone involved :)

SheepFactory
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
Congrats guys. :buttrock:

bayard
06-08-2006, 04:50 PM
whoa dude...
holy crap! Way to go colin and greg!!!
that's totally awesome!!! Congrats on those xmen fx as well...if that deaging sequence doen't get you a directorial job...i don't know what will!

ridiculous!
-bayard

Artbot
06-08-2006, 04:58 PM
Woo-hoo! Time to buy another Bentley!

Dennik
06-08-2006, 05:29 PM
Congrats Strause bros! I'll be waiting for this one, now that i know you are behind it!

amygdalae
06-08-2006, 05:57 PM
hahahahahahahahaha

P_T
06-08-2006, 06:16 PM
Is this going to be a theater release or straight to DVD? If it's gonna be a small budget, straight to DVD release, I wouldn't get my hopes too high if I were you. Like ndog said, Starship Troopers 2 is still fresh in my mind.

RobertoOrtiz
06-08-2006, 07:46 PM
Quote:
"IGN FilmForce was informed by a tipster that 20th Century Fox may have found who they want to direct Alien vs. Predator 2 (http://filmforce.ign.com/objects/746/746237.html). In this case, two directors.

Our scooper points out that the Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brothers_Strause) entry for special effects artists-turned-directors Greg and Colin Strause, a.k.a. the Brothers Strause, claims that the siblings "have recently been mentioned as the possible feature film (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/711/711432p1.html#) directors (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/711/711432p1.html#) for Alien (http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/711/711432p1.html#) vs. Predator 2. The sequel to 2004's Alien vs. Predator is set to be released in August 2007."

IGN's tipster advised us that the Brothers Strause "are set to direct AvP2," adding, "They've met with the producers and set to sign on this week."
"

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/711/711432p1.html

-R

jake_$teed
06-08-2006, 07:58 PM
Is this going to be a theater release or straight to DVD? If it's gonna be a small budget, straight to DVD release, I wouldn't get my hopes too high if I were you. Like ndog said, Starship Troopers 2 is still fresh in my mind.

Starship Troopers 2 was never intended for theatrical release. Sony has a long history on cashing in on thier brand names with DTV realeases.

Anyhow, AVP2 will be in theaters 8/10/07

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758730/

ChewyPixels
06-08-2006, 08:07 PM
Congrats guys! :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see what a couple of VFX guys do to the franchise. Sure bet that it will be better than the first. :D

lazzhar
06-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Congratulation guys ! Really good news.

simps
06-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Please, no silly underground pyramids. No Kmart scenes. Try not to ruin the continuety of the two franchises any more than AVP 1 did. AND HOPEFULLY NO PREDALIEN!!!

*the first Alien vs Predator comic mini series that was put out in the early 90's would be a good way to go IMO :thumbsup:

FloydBishop
06-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Give 'em hell.

Atwooki
06-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Floyd:
Give 'em hell. Haha!

Well deserved to the hard-working and straight-shooting brothers - great :thumbsup:

Lunatique
06-08-2006, 11:02 PM
This is friggin' awesome. Now we have upcoming bonifide feature film directors as one of us. This ought to help dispell a lot of myths and misunderstandings that most people have about where to point fingers when films turn out bad. Of course, only so much could be disclosed to the public--for the sake of not burning bridges down the line.

shy-guy
06-08-2006, 11:44 PM
woooa... great news, we got movie directors now hanging right here on cgtalk :thumbsup:
Now thats cool or what? :D

Congrats to the strause brothers, they sure as hell deserved the oportunity.

Obraxis
06-08-2006, 11:57 PM
Congrats guys :)

All I ask is you dont sh!t on the franchises like AVP1 did. Just make it uber cool with big fights and guns. Please. No stupid banter or chit chat.

LETS ROCK!!! :buttrock:

trthing
06-09-2006, 12:28 AM
Awesome! Awesome!

If someone can do it right it is you guys!:thumbsup:

mr Bob
06-09-2006, 01:53 AM
The look on Ridley Scott's face when he saw AVP in post was worth a thousand words ..

talos72
06-09-2006, 02:10 AM
Was it the look of horror or nausea? :rolleyes: Every once in a while I pop in the Blade Runner DVD to remind me how a sci-fi film could be done...well.

Bourbon Thret
06-09-2006, 02:36 AM
im hoping this one isnt going to be set on earth at all...

also, the coolest idea would be to have no humans at all, just aliens, predators, and other assorted space creatures slugging it out. there were some pretty cool weird skulls in the predator's ship in Predator 2.

unlikely that that would happen though...

RobertoOrtiz
06-09-2006, 03:12 AM
AICN news confirmation:

Quote:
"Brothers Greg and Colin Strause have signed to direct AvP 2. This according to several sources, as well as the duo’s official website (linked below).
The Brothers Strause have directed numerous music videos and commercials. Their visual effects house (Hydraulx) provided work for TERMINATOR 3, THE DAY AFTER TOMORROW, FANTASTIC FOUR, POSEIDON, and X-MEN: THE LAST STAND (among other credits), and would presumably do the same here.
You can find a list of Greg and Colin’s impressive credits HERE.
’Twill be interesting to see where the Brothers take this film. It’s tempting to say that nearly anyone would be an improvement over Paul W.S. Anderson, given his tragically illogical and abrasively discontinuitous handling of the first film – but I won’t say that. Oh, sure I will."

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=23544

MasterZap
06-09-2006, 03:44 AM
Yeah, the amount of Congrats I want to throw in the direction of Colin & Greg are infinite. This is well deserved.

Whe have our very own CGTalk "wachowskis" and they are named Strause. Go Jackdeth!

:bounce: :applause: :thumbsup: :deal: :buttrock:

/Z

CENOBITE
06-09-2006, 04:45 AM
NO PREDALIEN

NO KMART

NO STINKIN MODERN DAY BULL-SH!T.

thank you.

Kwe
06-09-2006, 04:53 AM
so i take it these guys are well known around cgtalk? i hope they're good enough to bring back the REAL predators and not some wrestler in a predator halloween costume.

Jackdeth
06-09-2006, 05:10 AM
Thanks for all the support. :)

Bonedaddy
06-09-2006, 05:12 AM
Thanks for all the support. :)

Oh god, are you going to start being nice now? :argh:

;)

Jackdeth
06-09-2006, 05:14 AM
ummmm, good point. I better fix that right away.

(...)
06-09-2006, 07:17 AM
NO PREDALIEN

NO KMART

NO STINKIN MODERN DAY BULL-SH!T.

thank you.

Apparently, pretty much all of that is in the script. The Strause's can only do the best with the material they've been given.

leejamesclark
06-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Congrates and hope its good.

but i agree with the people on the kmart script. i read a brief part of that crap with it teen kmart crap and teenagers talking about boys and zits. Please do your own script and get ideas from the guys on here..bet their all full of them..but best advice go back to what made them good in the first place and watch the first 2 over and over.

PLEASE PLEASE just no AVP2: the o.c.
cheers

maxx10
06-09-2006, 07:46 AM
congratulations, well deserved!

are you going to handle part of the vfx as well?

Equinoxx
06-09-2006, 07:56 AM
Congrats guys really awesome.

... btw Colin, how come your brother isn't posting here ... or is he ?
*queue mysterious music*

kmest
06-09-2006, 07:59 AM
WOW....congradulations to both of ya .......awesome news......

its good too see one of us cgtalkers doing a movie like this.....i defenatly will go watch it at theaters........:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

MasterZap
06-09-2006, 08:15 AM
Please do your own script and get ideas from the guys on here..

With a premiere date of Aug '07 is it feasible to make a new script at this time? I have no idea, I'm genuinely asking. If I was a director of an Aug '07 effects-heavy production, I'd want to begin shooting, well, yesterday.

But on the other hand "War of the Worlds" was on a very very tight production schedule.... (owing in part to Dennis Meurens down-to-earth expertise that it worked, methinks).

/Z

vfx
06-09-2006, 08:18 AM
Very well done! Best of luck - could you spend 5 mins explaining how you managed to get the greenlight to direct and will hydraulx be doing all the fx work?

I can't understand how you guys have rocketed tso far in such short time!! Jealous as hell - well done!

mdee
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
Congratulations! I am sure it will turn out great! But who is going to do VFX then.. ? ;)

MasterZap
06-09-2006, 08:32 AM
All modern directors have they own vfx houses, didn't ya know that? ;)

/Z

popol
06-09-2006, 09:44 AM
i just want to say good luck!
i always think about pitof the french vfx director (the catwoman director) :sad:, too much
vfx, crazy camera mouvement and a little script. So please be carefull
--------------------
Sorry for my english.

Obraxis
06-09-2006, 09:45 AM
Jackdeath....if nothing else - PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go to Stan Winston for the Creature FX. I beg of you, kneeling down, with sugar and a cherry on top.

Oh, and PLEASE make it R rated. These things are NOT for kids.

paintbox
06-09-2006, 10:31 AM
If the film has the same attitude as JackDeth, we can expect a kick-ass movie :D

Kai01W
06-09-2006, 10:32 AM
Who am I to give advice?!? ...but still. I disagree about sticking to the original formula of muscle guys with big guns. Be original! but at the same time respectful towards the franchise.
I agree with S. Weaver about the fact that the "monster theme" was done so brilliant in the first movies that it is not so interesting anymore. Plus I see the danger of all newly introduced species (predalien) falling short of what Giger and Winston have done in the past.
I'd appreciate if the mysteries about the origin of the aliens was not destroyed (as the comics unfortunately did).
If it was not for "alien", I'd probably not be working in this idustry.
And maybe FX guys as directors surprise us all and make the VFX actually serve the story and not the other way around.

Congrats and good luck!!!

-k (a little excited)

leejamesclark
06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
With a premiere date of Aug '07 is it feasible to make a new script at this time? I have no idea, I'm genuinely asking. If I was a director of an Aug '07 effects-heavy production, I'd want to begin shooting, well, yesterday.

But on the other hand "War of the Worlds" was on a very very tight production schedule.... (owing in part to Dennis Meurens down-to-earth expertise that it worked, methinks).

/Z

still better to get the right script than make a bad movie that'll have the entire cgtalk forum hunting you down predator style and taking yr skull as a trophy...no pressure guys ;) i'm sure the kmart script, as it should now and forever be known, isnt the only one knocking around hollywood and dont forget the comics..got to be some good stories flying round there.

setting it in the future and forgetitng about the first is a good start..

leejamesclark
06-09-2006, 11:41 AM
ooops posted twice...Good luck with the whole thing anyway

simps
06-09-2006, 12:46 PM
so i take it these guys are well known around cgtalk? i hope they're good enough to bring back the REAL predators and not some wrestler in a predator halloween costume.

Exactly! The Predators in AVP1 were way too bulky. If you go back and see the original Predator, he's actually quite slim. The AVP predator's looked plain silly.

hellgatemedia
06-09-2006, 03:59 PM
Congrats to the Brothers.

I actually see this as part of what I feel is a positive trend in Hollywood.
There was a post a few weeks back that stressed the emphasis on effects in Hollywood.
I think part of what is missing from Hollywood is that anyone can be a director, but
there has been a vaccum in Hollywood in regards to creativity.
Who better than VFX people to understand how to make a visually impactful sci fi film?
AVP was successful, but MODERATELY successful. Making a film that is truer to the franchise can easily make this one even more successful.
Bloody Disgusting is very insistent that this will be much darker, and truer to the horror roots of both franchises, and I'm really looking forward to this.

MasterZap
06-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Yeah, can't wait to see this.

/Z

viper550
06-12-2006, 08:33 AM
Good luck to both of you.

And please i beg you dont make the predators as they were in AVP.And i'm not talking of the them just being bulky.Everything was wrong with them in AVP from their faces,their plasma cannons,their vision etc etc.Bring back the original design.I am a big fun of predators and i couldn't stand how they turned out to be in AVP.

Kwe
06-12-2006, 03:45 PM
yeah...please don't make them pussies like they were in AvP. 2 of them were taken out within 5 minutes of each other!!! c'mon man!

viper550
06-12-2006, 04:47 PM
yeah that was annoying too.1 being killed ok but 2 in 5 minutes?Thats silly.And the 2 of them by 1 alien.Thats just stupid.I would love to see them again being the killing machines they are supposed to be.Like in the first predator movie.Fast,ruthless and deadly.And no collaboration with humans this time.When i saw the predator working with Lex i almost turned my dvd off.Its the worst thing they could do plain and simple.

Titan
06-12-2006, 07:08 PM
You HAVE to find a way to bring back Bill Paxton....lol...his whiney, cocky character (Hudson) from aliens made the movie for me....

"Well that's great! That's just
f**king great, man. Now what the
f**k are we supposed to do, man?
We're in some real pretty shit now! "

I know..wishful thinking, but hey the cloning thing worked for ripley:)

Lorecanth
06-13-2006, 01:46 AM
can't think of a more deserving duo. congrats guys.

kevb3d
06-17-2006, 01:56 AM
Congrats,

I wish you two all the luck in the world. You definitely worked hard to get here, now go forth and kick some ass.

Kev

CGTalk Moderation
06-17-2006, 01:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.