PDA

View Full Version : Hair plugin - BHairy

Benr
06-07-2006, 10:16 PM
Hi all, the first version of my new hair plugin "BHairy" is available. It's no longer shareware, but it's free to try for a month.

BHairy (http://shaders.moederogall.com/BHairy/)

Thanks,

Ben

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/2678/braid9c2be.jpg
(http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=braid9c2be.jpg)

xzevlin
06-07-2006, 10:41 PM
Looks good, but every time I go to any menus to choose it, I get the warning pop-up asking me to register, and once I click Ok to continue the demo, XSI crashes. I'm using Foundation 5.1.

Benr
06-07-2006, 11:06 PM
Hi Elvis, I'm sorry to hear that. I wonder if it's happening to a lot of people.
Please contact me with any possibly relevant info (messages, etc.) and we can try to figure it out.

Ben

vlad74
06-07-2006, 11:51 PM
Wow. That looks freaky good. Bravo and thanks.

yog
06-08-2006, 12:03 AM
Hi Ben.
Thank you very much for the plug-in :thumbsup:

I'm running XSI-5.1 Essentials here, and the demo looks to be running fine.

xzevlin
06-08-2006, 12:34 AM
The crash happens if I start up XSI, say Ok to the initial warning, and then go to the top bar menus (model, animate, render, simulate) . I'll get the warning pop-up a second time, and once I hit Ok I get a "Successfully saved scene before system failure" and the program quits.

But if I start XSI up, create a primitive and Get> Properties> BHairy, the plug in works fine, and I can then go to the upper menus with no problems.

Other than that, the hair looks great from what I've tried so far!

T4D
06-08-2006, 03:26 AM
great stuff I have XSI ess also and this is a must have

Benr
06-08-2006, 04:48 AM
Well, I have to admit I don't know what's causing that. My guess is that it's an issue with the (3rd party) licensing software, which wraps around BHairy. Maybe you've already done this, but the first thing I'd try is uninstalling and reinstalling the plugin and closing XSI and deleting the BHairy folder in between. Also delete any remnant of BFurry if you installed it. There are some other things I could try with the licensing software if that doesn't work.

Ben

The crash happens if I start up XSI, say Ok to the initial warning, and then go to the top bar menus (model, animate, render, simulate) . I'll get the warning pop-up a second time, and once I hit Ok I get a "Successfully saved scene before system failure" and the program quits.

But if I start XSI up, create a primitive and Get> Properties> BHairy, the plug in works fine, and I can then go to the upper menus with no problems.

Other than that, the hair looks great from what I've tried so far!

NeptuneImaging
06-08-2006, 05:21 AM
Hey ben, this shader is the shit....I can now do long hair to perfection, hopefully...

goulei
06-08-2006, 05:49 AM
wow.....good plugs

ThirdEye
06-08-2006, 04:29 PM
Nice, it'd be cool to see more examples tho, i couldn't find any on the website.

mocaw
06-08-2006, 04:35 PM
What do you want to see? I might have a wee bit of time soon to toss around with this plug. Anything in particular? I'm going to try and see how using XSI cloth will work out for simulation and maybe some springs/tails etc.

ThirdEye
06-08-2006, 04:47 PM
What do you want to see? I might have a wee bit of time soon to toss around with this plug. Anything in particular? I'm going to try and see how using XSI cloth will work out for simulation and maybe some springs/tails etc.

No, nothing in particular, i'm just curious to see some more examples since all i've seen so far is that head on the website. How does it compare to XSI Hair for example?

mocaw
06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
Well...I will not be able to tell you that since I don't have Adv. Ben might be able to fill you in on some of the more technical limitations/advantages. For things like rendertimes etc. we'll need to get an Adv. user to use the demo.

Benr
06-08-2006, 07:37 PM
I also don't have Adv so I can't directly compare them. They both use Mental Ray hair so I would think rendertimes would be similar. I definitely agree about needing more images. I'm kind of hoping other people will start posting some because I have a bunch of coding I'd like to do first.

themick_g
06-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Looks good, but every time I go to any menus to choose it, I get the warning pop-up asking me to register, and once I click Ok to continue the demo, XSI crashes. I'm using Foundation 5.1.

here its worse!!
Installed the plug....now my xsi 5.1 essentials cant initialize the viewports anymore.think I have to reinstall xsi...
:(
is there a way to uninstall the addon without opening xsi? thx

themick_g
06-08-2006, 09:42 PM
ok it was my layout.I had Dual Views and shelves .
Removed the bhairy-folder from the addon directory, started xsi, changed my layout.
Now it works again...phew ;)

Benr
06-08-2006, 11:42 PM
I expanded the ReadMe to include a short tutorial on the braid image.

Ben

mocaw
06-09-2006, 01:25 AM
Is there a proper way to envelope the longer hair splines now? Right now I'm thinking the best way is to set your envelope manualy (using reassign locally) BEFORE you comb/shape the hair/fur is this right? I guess I'm just being a putz though and should probably look closer at using the cage for this very purpose.

Before, since things were much simpler with Bfury I would just use the base mesh since the hair wouldn't "flow" on it's own anyway. Now since we can comb the hairs over one another I'm wanting the base of the hair splines to have a different enveleope than the tips etc.

Also the tips to not follow the base mesh when just using the older method...

Any suggestions anyone?

Also- how come using rasterizer inverts the lighting? I'd really like to be able to use rasterizer since it's much faster for hair.

xzevlin
06-09-2006, 03:04 AM
Here's my first test of hair on a character, along with his original poly haircut. Got to look at the new readme so that I can figure out how to style a little better, but I'm happy with the results so far.

http://www.astoundingadventures.com/wip/coppermine/albums/userpics/wips/normal_griffHair01.jpg

Benr
06-10-2006, 09:22 PM
New version (1.03) available. Major bug fixed when animating hair with jittering applied. Also the jitter fcurves should now be clamped between 0 - 1.

benytone
06-11-2006, 01:00 PM
No, nothing in particular, i'm just curious to see some more examples since all i've seen so far is that head on the website. How does it compare to XSI Hair for example?

Nice Ben, but i agree with Alberto/ThirdEye, any examples?

Benr
06-23-2006, 08:25 PM
Hi all -

I've uploaded a new version of BHairy - 1.04.

New controls for hair guides:

Tip Cage.

Scale operator.

Control guides with influence defined by weightmaps.

Per-vertex hair radius control.

Interactive effect of length weightmap.

A few bug fixes.

As usual, it's at:

http://shaders.moederogall.com/BHairy/downloads.html

Thanks,

Ben

artmann
06-24-2006, 07:20 AM
This looks awesome! Finally a hair solution for non advanced user! This should be on the front page!

But I am concerned to know about stability, how xsi cloth functions with it, does it flicker during animation etc etc

Now if only I can find out if it´s possible to hack xsi cloth to do basic rigid body dynamics I would drop Lightwave and take the cheap xsi foundation route in a sec.

Looks great anyway!

T4D
06-24-2006, 07:44 AM
Now if only I can find out if it´s possible to hack xsi cloth to do basic rigid body dynamics I would drop Lightwave and take the cheap xsi foundation route in a sec.

Looks great anyway!

more details on what you need ?

XSI hardbody are the best around Cal's in near to real time
the XSI cloth is alot better then LW cloth by a long way
( that syflex cloth & Flesh in XSI ADV must be Amazing !! )

And there's no Hacks or work arounds in XSI it's a open system that just works.
it's a completely different world over here :thumbsup:

artmann
06-24-2006, 04:20 PM
Eeh there is no RB in foundation.
In the old 3ds max days, we used to hack ´simcloth´, an old free plug-in to do basic RB dynamics - worked great! Well for basic stuff anyways.

You must be able to do this in old softimage cloth, i hope anyway?

mocaw
06-25-2006, 04:58 PM
You have been very busy! Those udates go way beyond what I was expecting. Thanks again Ben!

Hi all -

I've uploaded a new version of BHairy - 1.04.

New controls for hair guides:

Tip Cage.

Scale operator.

Control guides with influence defined by weightmaps.

Per-vertex hair radius control.

Interactive effect of length weightmap.

A few bug fixes.

As usual, it's at:

http://shaders.moederogall.com/BHairy/downloads.html

Thanks,

Ben

Benr
02-14-2007, 08:52 PM
I've posted another new update. There are several new functions for controlling / styling hair. Please look at the new readme. Same location:
Download Page (http://www.shaders.moederogall.com/BHairy/downloads.html)

ray
02-15-2007, 12:13 AM
This looks very exciting again - can't wait to check it out. Thanks for your continued efforts on this, Ben

Ray

WillBellJr
02-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Lawd knows I've been looking for a hair solution since FND 4.2!

Thanks very much for the effort that went into this! :scream:

-Will

VonMarsch
02-19-2007, 06:44 PM
Wow, this looks promising! I ordered XSI foundation for myself last week. I'm going to download the demo soon as I get my XSI. Fondation doens't have hairtools... so I have use for this´!

Benr
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Hi I just wanted to report another update is available.

More details at XSIBase thread (http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=29;action=display;threadid=25527;start=60) Reply # 73

Thanks,
Ben

CGTalk Moderation
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.