PDA

View Full Version : Matte Painting

Buhby
06-07-2006, 08:46 PM
I am trying to get into Matte painting and I would say that my experience in the field is well... non existant and my experience in photoshop is... well... I know more than the average person but not enough to know what each individual blending mode does or know enough to use masks effectively. To me when I learn from books they quickly leave my mind. I don't want to pay for a $1,500 class... so my best bet is to buy a training DVD, right? But they are $60 (from gnomon) and they say that some of their DVDs are for "beginners to intermediates" I would consider myself a beginner... BUT am I really a beginner? I don't want to spend $60 and not understand what they are doing... I also don't have a wacom tablet... just an old fashioned mouse!

So here is my question to you guys.
Is there a cheap and effective way to jump start my matte painting experience? I am playing around with PS now but I am getting no where.
So does anyone want to give me any advice?

I am also an Animation major, so I will need to learn this one day and be good at it. =D

Thanks guys,
Buhby

Bonedaddy
06-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Howdy stranger!

So, some advice:

1) Get some of the Gnomon DVDs. They're really quite good at this stuff. Focus on getting good compositions and color ranges, broad strokes, before making something photoreal.
2) Post in the Matte Painting board.
3) Pick animation or matte painting -- they're really pretty separate fields, and you don't need to know anything of one to be good at the other. In fact, I don't think I actually know any matte painter-cum-animators.

Smartypants
06-07-2006, 09:21 PM
I'd like to agree with Bonedaddy. Get some Gnomon DVD's. If they are useless to you, you can always sell them on Ebay and get at least some of your money back. For that matter, you could probably buy them on Ebay at a discounted price to begin with.

Also, I understand that your cash is probably tight, but accept the fact that you're going to have to part with a little of your hard earned money. If you're going to be a matte painter, you're going to need a wacom tablet. Just buy one, already. Again, Ebay can be your friend. Good luck. Awe us with your mad skillz when you learn the matte painting mojo.

Artbot
06-07-2006, 09:43 PM
My 2 cents on the concept design/painting-oriented DVDs in the series:

I finally had a chance to view a few of the Gnomon DVDs. While it's great that these exist and there are certainly some great tips contained in them, I am disappointed that they don't spend any time talking about their specific menu and tool setups. They also don't usually say which command they are invoking when they hit some hotkey off-screen. Sometimes it's obvious or they say it, sometimes it's not and they don't. I found myself wishing they were more specific about exactly what tool and setting they are using.

I realize they are trying to be more general in their narration and not tie their techniques to any specific package. For professional painting work, though, there's pretty much only Photoshop or Painter, so I don't see why they can't acknowledge that and just call it "A Painter 9 tutorial" or whatever.

DrQuincy
06-07-2006, 10:22 PM
Hi there. I'm trying to get into matte painting too - I'm ina similar situation. I've been using Photoshop since the year dot for web graphics and image enhancements but not matte painting and / or illustration.

From what I've done so far I'd say getting a tablet is essential. Hold out on the DVDs for now, if you Google enough you'll find enough free online tutorials to get you started.

All the best!

bCottman
06-08-2006, 03:22 AM
Best way to learn is by struggling through it. Whether reading Books, tutorials or watching dvds, you will tend to gloss over the majority of the material until it has a practical application to a problem you've already encountered. Just start developing personal work that explores areas that you are interested in. As a beginer you will hit a wall at every stage of a project. Deal with each problem as you encounter it, find tutorials that help with the particular issues your having, and then go back into it. After you've gone through it a number of times you'll start refining the process.

As far as easy ways to develop any skills, in my experience, as soon as you think something will be easy it becomes a whole lot harder.

Just put the work in, read up, and dont be afraid to put some $ into your tools and learning materials.

Jokinen
06-08-2006, 10:00 AM
Just my two cents.

I think you really should get some Gnomon DVD's. If you know the very basics about photoshop and brushes you'll understand them. I would definitely recommend DUSSO's DVDs- they've been a great help to me.
I also recommend getting a wacom tablet if you want to work efficiently.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/ydu01.html
That one is a very good, down to earth instruction DVD. I think you'll get alot out of it.

Good luck!
-Juhani Jokinen

soulburn3d
06-08-2006, 05:35 PM
I'd also recommend this DVD:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/dco03.html

Dylan's good at explaining the thoughts behind what he does, and this DVD in particular uses a lot of the techniques a matte painter generally use these days.

- Neil

JJASSO
06-08-2006, 11:37 PM
hey brenton it's good to see you here, hope you post some work soon,
and I completly agree with you, this art like every other needs lots of proactice, dvd's and tutorials are good but they show each artist personal technique , which is good , reading and doing those dvd tutorials will make you learn the techniques and the software faster, but waht matters here is the eye training, and this will only be possible , practicing, draw, paint, skectch, all the time never stop you will never stop learning, see other artist how they paint this or that , try learning something about traditional photography ,traditional painting, this is very helpful
star looking all your enviroment surrounding you, see how it looks at day ,noon, night? why does that metal shines like that in the sun ,etc. start asking questions to yourself . matte painting is more of an art than a technique that involves some different softwares.

CGTalk Moderation
06-08-2006, 11:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.