PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to save layers as seperate objects from layout?

Shade01
06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I've somehow created an object that loads fine in layout but crashes modeler on loading(any clues on this would be appreciated). I've been trying to open the file in layout, and export the individual layers as seperate objects so I can open them one at a time and try to figure what piece of the model is causing me trouble. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to that? I thought selecting one layer and saving object copy or saving current object might work that way but it doesn't. Anybody know of any scripts out there that do this or whats happening with the model? Thanks!

ericsmith
06-07-2006, 08:37 PM
Have you tried save transformed?

Eric

BazC
06-07-2006, 09:15 PM
Couldn't you delete all but one layer, save object increment, reopen original object delete all but another layer etc

A bit long winded but I think it would work?

Shade01
06-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Couldn't you delete all but one layer, save object increment, reopen original object delete all but another layer etc

A bit long winded but I think it would work?

Something is wrong but Im not sure what. I loaded each piece seperately into the scene via load object layer, so there is only that one piece in the scene. I then save it as a new object but when I load it into modeler it's the entire object with all the layers? Is it supposed to do that?

BazC
06-08-2006, 06:00 PM
Doesn't sound right to me, can you post the object?

pixelranger
06-08-2006, 06:03 PM
actually, Layout saves the whole object, not just the layer you have imported. Anyway, that shouldn't be a problem. Just use that one layer that you needd and don't care about the rest. (Alternatively, copy this layer into a new object containing just the geometry from this layer)

kirigoi
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
Hi Shade, I've had this problem a few times myself (my heart nearly stopped the first time it happened with an enormous model I'd been working on). I've found a couple of fixes:

My first fix was to use Save Transformed - I removed all but one layer in layout, set patch divisions to zero (otherwise you'll end up with an object made of loads of tris in modeller), Save Transformed to a new file, then repeat for each layer. I was then able to work out which layer had the problem. This fix is not ideal as it makes for a lot of extra work to fix the model.

I eventually found that it was an OpenGL problem (are you using an ATI card?). I've found that I can always fix the problem when it happens to me by turning off all hardware acceleration features for my card - (in Display Properties/ Settings/ Advanced/ Troubleshoot for Windows XP with an ATI card). I can then open the model without problem in modeller (although rather slowly). If you set all layers to not be visible, close modeller and reactivate hardware acceleration, you may be able to open it without crashing, then change to each layer in turn to see which one crashes modeller. If that doesn't work, separate it into different models for each layer, reopen them with acceleration to work out which is the one with the problem, then recreate/ fix the geometry in that layer.

Let me know if that makes sense (I've just re-read it and I'm not sure), but it's never been an unfixable problem for me, so I hope you manage to sort it out.

Good luck,
Mark

CGTalk Moderation
06-11-2006, 05:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.