PDA

View Full Version : Races of Middle Earth - character - ahrens

ahrens
01-11-2003, 07:53 PM
First of all: Hello everybody.

I've been visiting cgtalk.com for about 2 month now, was a still reader and admirer of all of your guys work. It is unbelievable what some of you guys (and of couse also girls) do with the pc, so I decided to first post here, when I have something to say and to show.

In the last few days i nearly killed my F5-button since I couldn't wait for the new challenge any longer, so here it is, here I am.
I do CG in webdesign and pure gfx for about 7 or 8 years now, but a friend of mine showed me the world of 3D one year ago. Now we run a little agency for multimedian art and I try to invest as much time as I can afford in practising 3D - I'm not good at all but I love the family-like athmosohere here and want to learn from all of you great artists - so I will do my best to become a honorable part of this absolutely unique community.

Well, I bored you long enough, let's get into the challenge. I would like to introduce you to a new race of Middle Earth:

The Mothyr

Long time ago, when Sauron came to Mordor, a friendly race called the Mothyr lived there. They were a trading folk who did no harm to anyone and loved to watch the Hobbits doing their party from time to time. The are quite unknown to all of Middle Earth's inhabitants since the just stood for theirselves to not disturb any race in Mordor. But with the day Sauron entered their home, the were the first victims of his unholy power - they've been chased and slaughtered to get out of Mordor, what they finally did, since they hated any kind of war.
Now they live in the sump near Mordor which caused a slight change in their appearence, they mutated into an ugly race of sump-creatures but gladly became self-camouflaging so Sauron was not able to find and threaten them any longer.
They wear a heavy armor on their backs whichs outside is covered with moss, so - if Sauron soldiers come to the sump - the just duck in the sump and look like mossy islands - their tentacles are able to filter the little bit of oxygen out of the sump, so they can keep their covering for a longer while.

They are still a friendly race, but the do hate Sauron for all he did to them. So, if Frodo would have to pass the sump they'd be glad to be a bridge to help him getting on the other side to defeat the evil ruler.

So, here's a sketch I did to give you an idea of where the concept would go. I know I'm no good in drawing but since the rules say there has to be concept "art" I stole a graphite pen from my fiancÚ and gave my best to show what I have in mind. Enough excuses, here we go:

http://www.ahrens-digital.de/cgtalk/rome_cg_jan_2003/sketch_01.jpg

I hope you like the idea, let's have a lot of fun on this great challenge and good luck to all of the participans. :thumbsup:

chadlychoo
01-11-2003, 08:00 PM
Awesome idea Ahrens! Welcome to CGTalk! :buttrock:

Remi
01-11-2003, 08:14 PM
Can't wait to see more ahrens...good job...and welcome:thumbsup:

Per-Anders
01-11-2003, 08:28 PM
welcome ahrens, that looks great! looking forward to seeing the model:applause:

ahrens
01-12-2003, 11:02 PM
So here we go with step one: the head.

I've been a little lazy this weekend but i promise to get faster, at least in the evening hours.

C&C are more than welcome.

http://www.ahrens-digital.de/cgtalk/rome_cg_jan_2003/render_step1.jpg

Gandalf
01-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Great start!!!
:thumbsup:

ahrens
01-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Gandalf, thanks for your really fast reply - i've just been out a sec to get some cig..(are any kids near?)... fresh air.
Well the next things are to define the eyes, the center of the tentacles and nose and definitly reshape the head a little, i think he should get a more round head, imo it's to "turtelish" right now, but this would match the armoring. :shrug:

Let's see where the night takes me...

ahrens
01-13-2003, 01:20 AM
A little update for the eyes, nose, headshape and finally he got ears so he could hear what you say - please be nice ;)

http://www.ahrens-digital.de/cgtalk/rome_cg_jan_2003/render_step2.jpg

Gandalf
01-13-2003, 01:29 AM
Good work, but I think it looks better if you give to his head a more rounded shape try to push the outer corner of the eye and pull the nose root.

ahrens
01-13-2003, 03:57 AM
Last update for today.

Gandalf, thank you very much, I tried out what you suggested but was not really happy with the changes since I lost my "Samurai-style" face-look with the more rounded face. The race should look as a mix of frustrated, strong, clumsy and not too friendly - so in a normal case you would better leave them alone.

But he's got a body now, a least a half-one and look, there grew some armoring on his breast, chest and neck :surprised

I don't know if I stay happy with this body-armour-thingie but I thought it's worth a glimpse. Enjoy and good night to all of you.

http://www.ahrens-digital.de/cgtalk/rome_cg_jan_2003/render_step3.jpg

leigh
01-13-2003, 04:06 AM
Firstly, welcome to CG Talk, and to the challenge :wavey:

Your creature is coming along nicely! :D Cool concept, and it looks like you are certainly off to a good start :thumbsup:

The only crit I have right now is that his body is a little too boxy, and that the tendrils hanging off his face are also a little roo boxy. Go wild with your model, and get some cool curves happening. Remember, nature is full of chaotic curves ;)

ahrens
01-14-2003, 12:32 PM
Leigh: Thanks for your welcome and the suggestions, I definitly will go wild with the shapes as soon as i finished the basic shape of the entire body to get the proportions just as i imagine the creature. It's all a little boxy since I do box-modelling - i will round and personalize it as soon as I merged the symetry object to get a little more asymetrics into it.

Here's a smaller update (been busy yesterday), slight modifications to face and body, now working on the hands fpr detail.

http://www.ahrens-digital.de/cgtalk/rome_cg_jan_2003/render_step4.jpg

Comments?

Lofy
01-14-2003, 04:53 PM
Nice Work ahrens and a great story for your race!

Ok, as you know me i have to criticize ;)

First of all i think your story of this peaceful race and the form of their eyes does not match. The sketch shows a harmlesly, suffering and fearfully creature. You should do this to your mesh to, it fits perfectly into your story of the Mothyr.

Your model looks a bit too badly and aggressiv.

Try lowering the outside of the eye-brown and lifting the inside, next to the nose.

I know its a early stage of modeling, but i wanted to give some suggestions ;)

Mfg Lofy

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.