freehand modeling brushes, microdisplacement modeling tools,
comprehensive UV-mapping module with UV-unfold, advanced 3D paint, and
instant Ambient Occlusion, Hexagon 2.1 now includes a free
Tessellation tool that allows you to Tessellate directly on the
surface of a polygon, or from edge to edge. Also added is an enhanced
tree view which gives you the ability to multi-select and quickly
search elements by name. Additionally, DAZ Hexagon 2.1 now offers even
greater productivity through extra time-saving features and improved
stability. For a complete list of features in Hexagon 2.1, click here.

http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=4222

If you already own Hexagon 2.0, then you simply need to download a
patch installer (now available in the product support/downloads section):
Hexagon Product Support/Downloads
http://www.daz3d.com/support/downloads.php?product=hexagon

monovich
06-07-2006, 08:48 PM
thanks for the info!

pnoland
06-07-2006, 10:33 PM
They must really want to spread the word. They emailed me 4 times telling me the update is available...

kursad_pileksuz
06-07-2006, 10:49 PM
looking good so far, but there are not any real new feature really :( New knife tool is cool but it is not really enough for this kind of update in my opinion.

lildragon
06-07-2006, 11:03 PM
Actually that's a great list for a .1 update. I mean it's not like version 2.5. It's a very generous update actually

MT-Cup
06-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Actually that's a great list for a .1 update. I mean it's not like version 2.5. It's a very generous update actually

I have to agree. It's a bit unusual to release a new "tool" or "feature" with a .1 release. That fact they added the tesselation tool now it great. I think DAZ is really showing their commitment to making this a good usable tool.

R10k
06-08-2006, 12:46 AM
I appreciate the new additions, but a lot of the bugs pointed out to the team (really obvious ones) are still in there. The menus are still fruity and don't resize themselves properly, and it really doesn't take much to crash the program.

Better, but it's not really worth raving about.

DanSilverman
06-08-2006, 01:27 AM
I think DAZ is really showing their commitment to making this a good usable tool.

DAZ didn't lift a finger to get this update out to you. This update is the final update from the Eovia team. Now, since the Eovia programmer's contract is fulfilled, we will see what DAZ does with this tool.

pnoland
06-08-2006, 03:48 AM
DAZ didn't lift a finger to get this update out to you. This update is the final update from the Eovia team. Now, since the Eovia programmer's contract is fulfilled, we will see what DAZ does with this tool.

Yep yep, the patch was done on the 28th when they're contract was up and everything was official. It's a good improvement over the 2.01 patch and it was fun working with Hexagon beta for Eovia. We'll see how Daz does now...but hey, no pressure. :P

CupOWonton
06-08-2006, 05:29 AM
I hope the original team gets picked up elsewhere, and developes an even better tool, and Daz gets left in the dust, again.

Nemoid
06-08-2006, 09:53 AM
LOL . however , downloading now and hoping its worth the wait, differently from 2.01 :)
very slow downloading here i dunno why.

SteveB
06-08-2006, 10:15 AM
Super slow for me too... 3 kb/s ;(

Teyon
06-08-2006, 10:30 AM
slow for me too. LTried it last night and it was going at 1.1kb/sec. told me it would take 11 hours.Tried again and then it was at 3kb/sec but didn't download completely for some reason. Trying it again now 5.5kb/sec and dropping. Weird.

ssalo
06-08-2006, 10:47 AM
I bought Hexagon mainly because its claimed 3d painting capabilities and it being decent modeler (especially with curves) is a big plus too. BUT how does its 3d painting really works?

I haven't been able to paint hardly anything with it. Either it's really slow and only some random strokes appears on objects surface or - as ususally - nothing at all. I tried with default primitives, applied materials, UVs etc. but still no luck.

Does anybody know any tutorials about the subject somewhere online?

And when in painting mode, the object becomes half transparent with wireframe overlayed on top of it, no matter what display mode I have on (and same when modeling). I don't recall this being the case in demo videos.

Thanks in advance!

-Sami

Bliz
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
Yeah I found the 3d discplacement painting clunkier than it seemed on the videos but I haven't had a lot of time to play with it, still trying to get to grips with the UV editing [so I can use the discplacement map afterwards] but I haven't finished uv'ing my test object yet.

I too get a semi-transparent display when painting on one my laptop (3.2 athlon64 w/ atiRadeon9700) but on my workstation (dual Xeon2.66 w/ Quadro900XGL) the problem disappears so I'm assuming it's a graphics card or driver or openGL issue.

Nemoid
06-08-2006, 01:29 PM
I'll have to try in my home system that is better than my office one here, but it seems i have the usual problems related to UI redrawing.
scrollball of brush panel disappears and to restore i still have to resize the app down and then return full size. minor thing, but annoying. anyone has this prob as well ?

ssalo
06-08-2006, 01:37 PM
I too get a semi-transparent display when painting on one my laptop (3.2 athlon64 w/ atiRadeon9700) but on my workstation (dual Xeon2.66 w/ Quadro900XGL) the problem disappears so I'm assuming it's a graphics card or driver or openGL issue.

Ok, I have Quadro FX 1400 running dual display (one analog, one digital). Drivers are version 81.67 (I think). Maybe I should see if updating them helps.

-Sami

R10k
06-08-2006, 02:46 PM
If that fails, try adjusting some of the graphics options. Turning off a number of them can make a huge difference... depending on your 3D card, of course.

mdwsr
06-08-2006, 03:01 PM
...snip

Thanks in advance!

-Sami

I have found tut's for Hex a little hard to find but here are a few:

Hex Tutorials (http://mystic-nights.com/poser/tutorials/offsite/Hexagon-tuts.html)

kursad_pileksuz
06-08-2006, 03:50 PM
I am kind of happy with hexagon toolset. But it does not feel stable, and i actually lost work just last night. I saved the model and now i cannot open it. "An internal error occured"
It sucks to loose work. I think until they figure out this kind of problem this tool should not be used in production. Other than that it offers pretty decent toolset that one needs to model any kind of object.

Nemoid
06-08-2006, 07:28 PM
I think as a modeler&painter can be used in production ., depending from what system you run, it may have some minor flacks or not. for example, i never lost a model so far, but i have minor probs regarding the UI, like the one of the scrollbar. also i noticed how AO seem to be screwed. the models become greenish... in 2.01 AO was better.

RingoM
06-08-2006, 11:13 PM
Hi,

Please see the attached picture. The icon with the red circle that one turns off the transparency mode this way you have a nice view of your model when painting.

Regards.

I bought Hexagon mainly because its claimed 3d painting capabilities and it being decent modeler (especially with curves) is a big plus too. BUT how does its 3d painting really works?

I haven't been able to paint hardly anything with it. Either it's really slow and only some random strokes appears on objects surface or - as ususally - nothing at all. I tried with default primitives, applied materials, UVs etc. but still no luck.

And when in painting mode, the object becomes half transparent with wireframe overlayed on top of it, no matter what display mode I have on (and same when modeling). I don't recall this being the case in demo videos.

Thanks in advance!

-Sami

RingoM
06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
A bit of a correction.

This is not the Hex2.1 that the Eovia team provided on the 28th. The DAZ team compose of the Carrara team that came from Eovia USA reviewed and updated the Hex2.1 that you now see. It is why it took a while to get release . but now its here.

Also DAZ already has a team in place to resume Hexagon development.

Later.

Ringo

ssalo
06-09-2006, 06:21 AM
Hi,

Please see the attached picture. The icon with the red circle that one turns off the transparency mode this way you have a nice view of your model when painting.

Regards.

Thanks a lot! This helped a lot. I also unchecked "Color of selected objects" from Preference Editor > Selection. Now objects dont turn light gray when selected. Painting is still quite slow but I see if updating drivers helps.

-Sami

CGTalk Moderation
06-09-2006, 06:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.