PDA

View Full Version : PC makers bet on super-sized laptops

RobertoOrtiz
06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Quote:
"Who says smaller is better in the on-the-go world of laptop computing?
Clearly not some of the world's top PC makers, who are testing the waters for super-sized laptop computers that look more like briefcases than notebooks.
The trend is being driven as much by technology as demand, fueled by 19- and 20-inch liquid crystal display (LCD) monitors now starting to enter the market, upping the ante on the previous biggest models at 17 inches.

But in a mobility-driven segment where smaller and lighter are generally considered better, the question of who might want to buy such big models remains to be seen.

The new super-sized laptops are most likely to find an audience with high-performance buffs like gamers, as well as people who want large screens and limited mobility allowing them, for example, to move computer around the office or home, said Kitty Fok, an analyst at International Data Corp."

>>LINK<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060607/tc_nm/computex_laptops_dc;_ylt=AnGJizTmzBxfooFrbrpPiWGs0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

AdamHerbert
06-07-2006, 02:21 PM
Don't have any use for a laptop really, but if they are light and sleek I'd wouldn't mind having a 20" screen on a laptop.

L.Rawlins
06-07-2006, 02:49 PM
I've read about the insurgence of these knee buckling ubertops and I don't really understand how they could be popular. Capable seventeen inch widescreens are cumbersome and heavy as it stands, and essentially so long as the monitor supports a decent resolution you have all the screen real estate you could ever need on the go in a smaller form factor. I'd personally be more inclined to buy a powerful laptop with a small screen that sports the ability to drive a sizeable external. :shrug:

The more I read about these goliaths the more I get mental images of old black and white silent films starring bowler hat wearing comedians knocking each other over with ladders tucked under their arms... :)

Gentle Fury
06-07-2006, 03:00 PM
I understand this completely......I work on video editing on a laptop with an external firewire HDD......meaning if i need to take it with me (say from office to home) i can do that and save money on having a computer at home and work. Laptops are getting so powerful that there is really little if no noticible loss in performance (if you get the higher end models)....so it basically ceases to be a "laptop" per se, but becomes a mobile workstation.....and for some that is a must have....the other niche market as was stated in the article is gamers.........LAN parties with a 20" crystal clear screen and YOUR OWN DECK..........that is a good thing...

JTD
06-07-2006, 03:15 PM
I have an Inspiron 9300 simply because I don't work where I live (long story), nor do I have a room that is just mine at home (I'm married - longer story). So my laptop is my PC, it's just portable that's all. I dig the larger screens and I don't really set it on my lap anyway. I say bring it on!

mech7
06-07-2006, 03:23 PM
I really think the target group is not people who want to be mobile but people who live small or want to be able to put their computer away when they are finished working... Also perhaps people who use them at work and don't have to carry them around as much only from car to workplace ;) portable workstation.. And gamers who visit lanparty's it can be usefull...

What about Dell's new suitcase pc :p
http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/31/dell-xps-m2010-gets-official/

richcz3
06-07-2006, 04:33 PM
I have a Sony with a 17" screen I purchased just over one year ago. Soon after I bought it I noted the laptop market went down to 15 and 15.5 screens. I think that their weight/size goes against these being used for consistant business travel usage.

The bigger market may be suited to homes and businesses that are utilizing wireless networks. Being able to take a (mobile albeit heavy) high performance PC around the house/workplace has it's place. If the price/performance was right I would pick one up vs getting another workstation. At $2700 - 3500 its goint to have to be some serious performance.

mustique
06-07-2006, 04:59 PM
When I'm stuck in a dark little room in front of my PC while my wife watches TV,
or when I visit my parents for a couple of days, I really wish I had a powerfull laptop.

The only thing I don't like about laptops in generall is the limited customizability.
Laptop configurations leave at least 1 thing to be desired most times.

Would be cool if you could built a laptop the same way you can built your desktop.

LucentDreams
06-07-2006, 06:20 PM
I think it makes perfect sense, particulrly in our industry where screen realestate is always important. thing is the larger screen meeans a larger laptop overall so more room for second hard drive, or even a second battery. Fact is most people dont' do a lot one the actual road besides checking email and such, and in this case yes the behemoth would be a pest, but working at hom, I sit at my laptop all the time and when I had to work in an office I had the laptop typically in one spot uless going for a meetign inthe conference room. So the lugging isn't bad, but it means I have a full sized desktop that I can mvoe around failry easy.

Laptops are now easily comparable to most desktops without getting into the super high end. I mean we have dualcore top graphics card laptops now, so my question is why ever shackle down with a desktop. have a second monitor sitting at your desk that you can plug into if you need dual display, but heck if I was going to buy new computers for the studio here I'd consider buying all laptops, they dont' have to move around, but if they need to they can.

Saurus
06-07-2006, 06:57 PM
It would be cool if the laptop industry could standardize some of hardware connection such as video cards. This allow laptops to be upgradable similar to white boxes. I believe it could be done by clevo base laptops, but it would be cool if it was industry standard.

thomaspecht
06-07-2006, 07:15 PM
sounds promising. as a freelancer it would be handy for me to be able to bring my own machine on-site. however i dislike normal laptops - shitty keyboard, tiny screens running one resolution too high, slow harddrive and the fact that i have to carry a bag full of equipment to make it useable (decent keyboard, mouse, wacom) and would have to connect it to a more ergonomic screen at the client site.
and it's not mobile either, unless you consider a machine that can only run two to three hours on battery a mobile solution.

with a heavier version of a laptop where manufacturers don't have to sacrifice usability to make it compact, the situation could improve a lot.
there are already PC's similar to that, somewhat bigger tho and very expensive. not sure if this is something custom, my old company had one of those for trade show demos.

KolbyJukes
06-07-2006, 08:10 PM
detachable wireless keyboard...that's ****ing awesome.

switchblade327
06-07-2006, 08:12 PM
I think it's pretty cool for freelancing or situations where space-saving is more important then cost (ex. if you live in New York City or Tokyo!). And I know a lot of people who'd just prefer to have a laptop at home then a full computer desk setup. But I don't think it's terribly cost-effective.

While laptops are certainly get comparable to workstations in power, workstations have gotten a lot cheaper. You can buy or build a pretty powerful (and portable and easily upgradable) cube/shuttle PC and a 20" monitor for a fraction of the cost of one of these monsters, if you're only need to move it occasionally.

Having two powerful workstations at home, the only need I have for my laptop is when I'm traveling so my next one is definitely going to favor portability over power. But we all have our own needs.

Lunatique
06-07-2006, 08:29 PM
I would totally buy a big and powerful laptop. I've moved around a lot recently, and since I need my workstation in working condition everywhere I go, I ended up taking apart my desktop and carried all the important guts in carry-on bags, while the case/LCD monitor/keyboard/mouse/Wacom went into one of the checked-in suitcases. That is not a pleasant way to travel. It is heavy, cumbersome, and dangerous for the safety of your workstation. If I had a larger but very powerful laptop, everything would just fit into a small suitcase as a carry-on luggage.

pearson
06-07-2006, 09:44 PM
I'm addicted to dual monitors, so until they offer a flip up and out dual screen laptop I won't be interested. And at that point it wouldn't be all that portable...

padib
06-08-2006, 01:09 AM
I've got a monster. Toshiba Satalite with 17" monitor. Yes it's huge but it's as powerful as a desktop. I use it for my graphics work. I hall it back and forth from home to work. I consider it a portable workstation. I would definelty buy another when this one becomes obsolete.

talos72
06-08-2006, 01:24 AM
I bought an Inspiron 9300 last year, and now I hardly use my desktop (a dual xeon Alienware from few years back). I like the fact that my Inspiron is lot more quiet and portable than my desktop and pretty much do almost all my work on the laptop.

The downsides: still a bit of a pain to lug around a heavier, larger machine (if you throw in all the accessories for a mobile studio: tablet, extra cables, external drive, etc...), the battery doesn't last long if not plugged in. In addition, LCDs are not quiet there yet when it comes to doing color accurate work, and finally the price is just a bit too high despite all the pluses. Also, I would not rely on laptops to do big render jobs for long periods: ie. rendering a long piece of animation with long render times.

I constantly get emails from Boxx to buy one of their laptops, and everytime I spec out what I want I would be pushing $4,000 and up with tax and shipping. For that price, you could still build a damn good desktop with top of the line equipment with plenty of money to spare for extras. Sometimes mobility comes at too big a price, IMO.

Njen
06-08-2006, 01:57 AM
I too, am a laptop defector. Since I bought my 17" Sager, I will probably never work on a PC again. It has all the power I need, and I can move rooms / destinations easily enough.

Let's face it, these laptops are not saying portable as in: "runs for 6 hours and small enough to fit in my tiny bag", but portable as in: "I can move to any location I wish and be ready to go with lot's of power at a moments notice".

The final remaining hurdle is to have a technology of screen display that is as good, or better than CRT's in mass production, then I will be set for life!

maX_Andrews
06-08-2006, 02:17 AM
I don't see the point. Especially with wuxga 17" screens you don't get any more real-estate with anything other than 1 30" monitor, just a larger screen, and you can always drive a secondary display. As for hard drives, it's a lot cheaper and more practical to use an external HD or two for moving your files about. And it's really a dead issue. In two years mobile hard drives will be at least twice as fast and three times as large, and we will see a big increase in sloid-state disks as well as a big price rop for them as well. HD space will only be an issue for the immediate future, as high-def content took everything "by storm."

I'd rather carry a light 17" or 15" laptop with a good amount of power, and drive a secondary display than carry my entire workstation stuffed into a smaller case. It's not really a laptop anymore.

L.Rawlins
06-08-2006, 02:04 PM
On a related note, this Newsfeed came in this morning...

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/06/ACER_Aspire_9800_1.jpg

The Aspire 9800 is an extra-large 20.1" WXSGA+ / 19" WXGA+ widescreen notebook outfitted with the latest features for extreme gaming, entertainment, and multitasking. Featuring Intel® Centrino® Duo mobile technology, spectacular NVIDIA® GeForce® Go 7600 graphics, Acer CrystalBrite™ technology, up to 240 GB SATA dual hard disk drives, and an integrated Acer BasSonic subwoofer with Dolby®1 Digital Live and DTS CONNECT™ support featuring DTS INTERACTIVE and DTS NEO:PC™ technologies2, the Aspire 9800 takes you way beyond the notebook norm!

http://images.akihabaranews.com/news_pics/11907/ACER_Aspire_9800_2.jpg

http://images.akihabaranews.com/news_pics/11907/ACER_Aspire_9800_4.jpg

Ha. I just noticed that the damn thing is so big they've squeezed a proper numpad on there!... That's actually pretty useful.

SOURCE (http://www.akihabaranews.com/news-11907-Computex+06%3A+Acer+HD-DVD+Laptop+Aspire+9800.html)

Gentle Fury
06-08-2006, 02:16 PM
I'm addicted to dual monitors, so until they offer a flip up and out dual screen laptop I won't be interested. And at that point it wouldn't be all that portable...

I have a dual monitor on my laptop, you just plug your second screen into it......and expand your desktop to it.....i can even pick my compy up and bring it over to the 42" Plasma and play some games on the big screen......dont down the lappy!

Peddy
06-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Hands On with Dell's XPS Mobile Concept PC (http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/06/hands-on-with-dells-xps-mobile-concept-pc/)

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/01/dell10.jpg

:eek:

L.Rawlins
06-08-2006, 03:00 PM
I have a dual monitor on my laptop, you just plug your second screen into it......and expand your desktop to it.....i can even pick my compy up and bring it over to the 42" Plasma and play some games on the big screen......dont down the lappy!

I think 'pearson' is talking about internal duals. Optional screen extension without compromising laptop portability. Something along the lines of this Vaio mock-up:

http://img527.imageshack.us/img527/2626/untitled13od1.jpg

talos72
06-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Wait till OLED technology advances: the ability to create foldable, paperlike sheets that could display images (already some crude prototypes exist). That way you can carry a good sized screen rolled up like a newspaper. Also in Wired I read about a company developing new lazer technology (not that new actually) were it may enable cell phones to display their screen content on any surface through a miniature projector. All this within a few years!

Dennik
06-08-2006, 05:26 PM
I was waiting for one of these before i decide to buy my first lap top. It makes me wonder though, would they be light enough to stay on somebody's lap?

kierrato
06-08-2006, 08:26 PM
I was waiting for one of these before i decide to buy my first lap top. It makes me wonder though, would they be light enough to stay on somebody's lap?

I have a XPS1 from Dell already, and its quite a beast. It can rest on your lap for a while, but when the fans have been blowing hot air on your man parts for half an hour, it gets slightly uncomfortable. The weight can also be a factor after an hour or more of resting on the same spot.

What I usualy so is put a blanket between the laptop and and me, and it usualy nulifies most drawbacks.

Im defenitely a laptop fan. Dating 2 years back, I switched from a desktop top a laptop (desktop replacement, XPS from dell), and Im not going back ...
The only thing that Id like improved after ALOT of time spent on it is a better screen, and maybe a few hardware upgrade (since its of a somewhat dated machine alerady...).

I cant enumerate everything I like about my laptop, theres alot... But the major things I like about it :
- I can just shove it in a backpack and bring it to someone's place/Work
- I can overclock the mobility radeon 9800 from 350/300 to 421/400 before getting artifacts. Now I always overclock my card everytime Im about to play games.
- I dont have a giant snake of wires and cables under my desk :P
- I can watch movies / Listen to music / Work on the train

That new Dell laptop is gorgeous, I might just make it my next purchase.

Signal2Noise
06-08-2006, 08:48 PM
...and I don't really set it on my lap anyway.

Exactly. The word "laptop" in today's market is a misnomer. With the heat these things produce it gives a whole new meaning to "roasting chestnuts on an open fire"! ;)

I love my laptop- an ancient Dell Inspiron 8200. Still performs well and zero problems with it. I do most of my CG on it and only rely on my desktops (yes, plural) for heavy scenes and rendering. I'm looking at getting a new faster notebook with larger screen but weight is still a factor in my purchase decision.

mustique
06-08-2006, 08:50 PM
All PC notebooks look so ugly once you see A Macbook Pro...

RobertoOrtiz
06-08-2006, 08:56 PM
Please lets not make this thread into a PC Vs MAC thread.

Lets stay on topic

-R

DevilHacker
06-08-2006, 08:59 PM
My laptop (a 7 month old Gateway) just went and died last night... And I got to say, I am looking around online, and I see all these 17" and 19" screens... Which looks a lot like a step up from my old 15" widescreen...

[Edit] Wow... Laptops with HD-DVD players built it... very nice...

eMeisel
06-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I still wait for my dream machine:

Notebook with large display
detachable wireless keyboard
Wacom Intuos3 functionality

dell
06-09-2006, 08:09 AM
Well I'm waiting for My Samsung 19inch Laptop BRING IT ON

At the moment I'm using a crap 15inch

Kabab
06-09-2006, 09:01 AM
If your a demo jock or do alot of consulting / freelancing these new uber laptops M90's etc are gods gift to CG..

You can fit one with a wacom and all the tid bits nicely into a laptop backpack. Its great!

switchblade327
08-14-2006, 09:09 PM
Now that a bit of time has gone by, is anyone using one of these beasts? If so, how do you like it?

My computing needs have recently changed rather dramatically and now a biggish workstation replacement notebook is looking pretty attractive.

Kanga
08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
I just got a HP DV5190 15.4 inch laptop today. I originally wanted a laptop to show stuff when fishing for clients but settled on a more beefy machine incase I need to do character design or 3d work on site. 2.5 hours of battery life is plenty to show footage and if you need to work then there are usually power points in the area. I'll be practicing modelling and texturing on it to see how that goes.

My HP pavillion desktop is about 2 years old and still clunking along just fine. I thought instead of just updating my workstation a laptop would make a flexible addition and I look forward to using it.

Even with a larger 'suitcase' version wouldn't there be plenty of situations where mobility would be welcome? What about live mocap performances?

Wintermute
08-15-2006, 01:55 AM
I really like my 14" iBook, which at this point, I've had about 1.5 years now. My next laptop will probably be a MacBook in a couple of years. I prefer a smaller form factor to these new behemoths.

… and an integrated Acer BasSonic subwoofer with …

:eek: who the hell puts a sub in a laptop!! :eek:

ulb
08-15-2006, 02:35 AM
wow i wouldn't have thought so many people like those huge "portable" computers.
I would never buy a laptop with a 17" screen, that's just way too big for me.

actually i'll soon (at least i hope so) buy a laptop, and my ideal laptop weight no more than 2kgs, has a 13" or less screen with good resolution, a good graphics card that can be disabled to have the battery last longer, and one of the bests cpus available.

All people i know with a laptop of more than 14"-15" simply don't take it often, just because it's too big...

ah i wish my toshiba portege 3440ct had a core 2 duo 6700 and a 7900gtx.

cheasie
08-15-2006, 02:38 AM
i love my 15.4" notebook :)

BigJay
08-15-2006, 02:45 AM
i didn't think i needed one until i saw one used by a freelancer we got in. When coding or text heavy work a big screen is alot easier on the eyes. My 12 inch is light but when coding it kills my eyes. As for 3D unless it has a really good card it wont be able to make the whole display 3d.

Fede
08-15-2006, 05:31 AM
Hey guys,

I recently got a hypersonic AX9 with a 19" true bright display and am extremelly happy. I was not looking for a portable machine but a desktop replacement so i am extremely satisfied. The screen is so clear that my eyes don't strain as much.

The battery life is not great at all, but i knew that from the start and doesn't bother me much.

It has everything i need and is extremely easy to move around, depending on your needs i couldn't recommend one more.

here are the specs : AX9 (http://secure.hypersonic-pc.com/scripts/custom_sys.aspx?sysid=Aviator_AX9)

I'm never going back to a desktop that is for sure.

I would also recommend the manufacturer as they are professional with fantastic customer care.

A word of caution, if you buy one of these beasts, get the case to go with it cause i struggled to find one else where.

rebo
08-15-2006, 06:35 AM
Base Price:
$3,291.00

Ouch, considering the specs that really is a Huuge premium you're paying there for a desktop replacement in laptop form.

NanoGator
08-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Ouch, considering the specs that really is a Huuge premium you're paying there for a desktop replacement in laptop form.

Hrrrmm.. yeah. I'd LOVE to have a honkin big laptop to replace my desktop, but it's not a $3000+ purchase for me. I'm willing to pay more than for a desktop, but not that much more. I like having the one device with fewer cables and built in battery. I like that it'd be easy to move from room to room. But that's a lot to ask for those little features. Heh.

ericsmith
08-15-2006, 03:56 PM
I recently picked up a 17" high res (1650 x 1080) p4 3.2 ghz (single) with nVidia go5700 graphics for around $1,100 off of ebay. Heck of a deal, and as long as I've got a real mouse, I enjoy working on it.

It's definitely not something I'd want to work on in a crowded bus or plane, but it makes it easy for me to work in the evenings out in the family room with the TV going, instead of holed up in my office.

Eric

prajna
08-16-2006, 04:40 AM
I'm willing to pay more than for a desktop, but not that much more. I like having the one device with fewer cables and built in battery. I like that it'd be easy to move from room to room. But that's a lot to ask for those little features. Heh.

Well, it really depends on your perspective. From one point of view these are small features, but from another standpoint they make all the difference in the world. Being able to move to the next room, or next door, or across town, or to the other side of the continent easily and quickly is just not an option with a fixed workstation. And being able to do so not only allows one to bring one's work to clients and fellow collaborators, it gives one the opportunity to actually BE in a different environment, a different atmosphere, while putting energy into creative output. Personally, I find this can be tremendously valuable much of the time. So, in order to build a complete solution, my goal is to be able to make/save enough to purchase a low end server to stick in a closet for rendering and encoding, while using my 17" for almost everything else.

"My home is in my head" Bob Marley

Fede
08-16-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm quite happy with what i paid and got. Besides, the costs of a high end laptop in South Africa is not that much off and for far less features. The best i could get here was a Toshiba Quasmio and the local Toshiba distributor couldn't even get me the new model!

So all in all i'm happy.

There is also nothing better than presenting to client on this baby.

Totally agree with you there Prajna

SONIC-X
08-16-2006, 06:03 AM
I just got the uber M90 full spec and it cost 20% cheaper than a worktion I bought 8 months ago and it kicks the workstation butt.

Doing alot of work at home it was cumbersome to take the workstation home all the time.
Having this M90 is just awesome ,I dont think I'll look at another machine again.

Running dual screen on it is just great (20" Dell)but only at work for now.

Cheers ,
from Converted Laptopper.

Airflow
08-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Ive been using a Rock quadra64 for the last 2 and a bit years, and it still makes people go "whats that".... Its just so cool to be able to walk into a company, plug into their network, do your work , then go home.... It definatly beats having another workstation... Got 4 atm....
ANd Ill be getting another DTR pretty soon.. People who say, 17" is too big, should think again.... I can work in bed, outside, albei it with a power extension cord.... Its so freeing...
I got this Pakuma rucksack thats made for laptops to go with it.... its great, nobody knows you have an expesive machine with you, and its so padded, I cant damage the machine unless I get run over....
Great stuff... and at the time, it cost less than a machine of less spec....

switchblade327
08-16-2006, 08:21 PM
I might be ready to shell out for one of these monsters and the Samsung m90 is at the top of my list, thanks to the detachable monitor, which doesn't seem to add much to the cost.

I've heard though, the m90s aren't for sale in the US because of some non-compete crap with Dell. Does anyone know more about this?

As for my situation, I'm moving to Europe and I want to travel and live light but I still have personal projects and freelance work to take care of, so it would be worth it to me to pay a bit more for a big, burly workstation replacement notebook then to lug around 2 flat panels and 2 mid-tower frankenstein PCs full of RAID drives when I won't even have car! I already have an airplane/coffee shop friendly 15.4" laptop. What I want now is a fully capable 3d beast that can be easily packed up yet can meet my horsepower requirements.

rock
08-17-2006, 03:44 AM
What they should release is a portable hard drive where you have your OS (Windows, Linux or both) when plug onto any computer - laptop, desktop, boots up correctly on any monitor and any computer not just your computer. That way you just carry your hard drive around and be able to use your own OS on any computer with no reconfiguration or fear.

Airflow
08-17-2006, 09:04 AM
You can already do this..... this is not going to help you work outside the office, or on a ship, train, coach or Plane, (regardless how manys snakes there are!!!)....

switchblade327 Check out
http://www.rockdirect.com/business_notebooks.htm

gnarlycranium
08-17-2006, 06:34 PM
20" monster 'laptops'???? What the heck are these people thinking??

I've handled the 15 pound Alienware and Boxxtech monsters-- even those are only 'laptops' by a painful stretch of the term.

I need a computer I can carry around-- to cafes, on the train, to the park, what have you. I'm working freelance, so I've been traveling a lot, and a 'mobile desktop' is not the tool for this when I have bags to juggle, email to check, or sketching to do. I will already be needing to haul around the darn Wacom. And I guess a battery pack-- come on. 2 hours of battery time??? What blasted good is that going to do me on a 6 hour flight or a 25 hour train ride?? That 'laptop' may as well be a 15-pound paperweight.

I thought this was bad, and now they're coming out with BIGGER ONES? Now we must travel with a winch and crane to carry the thing and its massive power supply, and a portable AC unit to keep us from frying-- oh and an armed guard too, in case it's stolen.

I can see this sort of thing becoming the standard for desktops in the future, but laptops are another animal entirely.

pearson
08-17-2006, 07:01 PM
lol. Might as well just buy a 1U rack mount case and call it a laptop. The only downside is the small generator you'd have to haul around to power it, which is kind of noisy. :p

switchblade327
08-17-2006, 07:18 PM

I've handled the 15 pound Alienware and Boxxtech monsters-- even those are only 'laptops' by a painful stretch of the term.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find the word 'laptop' used by any company selling a 19" or even a 17" notebook. Actually, I don't think many if any companies uses the word "laptop" anymore anyway after that one guy burned his... netherregions using a notebook computer in his lap.

As people have already mentioned here, it turns out that there are a lot of situations when this kind of setup would be handy. I wouldn't expect the small laptop to go the way of the dodo because of these beasts. They're just targeted to people who need to be able to move their workstation computer more then never.

Pavlovich
08-17-2006, 07:30 PM
i'll just reiterate that there should be a bigger differentiation between (the terms) "laptops" and "notebooks". Laptops are the things you can take on the airplane and work on your little xml spreadsheets and type letters to grandma. Notebooks are (or can be) portable workstations. Everyone complaining about "laptops getting to big" can stick with their cute little 14" portable web browsers; they're getting cheaper, lighter, and more energy efficient every day. pretty soon you'll be able to slip the computer in your pocket and plug the monitor into your sunglasses.

As stated previously, i probably won't be getting a notebook until there's a dualscreen slide-out or a triple-screen fold-out. And no, i won't be using it to play DVDs and listen to MP3's on an airplane :)

rasamaya
08-18-2006, 03:12 AM
I like my NOTEBOOK.

ZD8080 17 widescreen, 2gig ram, 3.4mghz HT, Noisy and Hot!. I just use it when I know I am going somewhere with a plugin. I like my home workstation, easily upgraded, cool, bigger screen, silent(in closet and water cooled).

If I could get a 20inch wide silent notebook with good CG card and good CPU, that had a 10hr batterylife, I would be in heaven, even if it wayed 25 pounds.

Poof!

Fede
08-18-2006, 06:10 AM
These computers are not "laptops" or "notebooks" as already mentioned but desktop replacements.

I'm glad they came out with my 19" AX9 as it caters for my needs. Never been such a pleasure working with the Flash interface now.

Airflow
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
And I guess a battery pack-- come on. 2 hours of battery time??? What blasted good is that going to do me on a 6 hour flight or a 25 hour train ride?? That 'laptop' may as well be a 15-pound paperweight.

I thought this was bad, and now they're coming out with BIGGER ONES? Now we must travel with a winch and crane to carry the thing and its massive power supply, and a portable AC unit to keep us from frying-- oh and an armed guard too, in case it's stolen.

I can see this sort of thing becoming the standard for desktops in the future, but laptops are another animal entirely.

pakuma laptop rucksack, carrys all the stuff you need to use your machine,includong your wacom...a3.... is padded, and dont look like a laptop case.. so no need for winch or security.... I got the akara K1.
:) And why would you be using batteries to do 3d.... lol....

CGTalk Moderation
08-18-2006, 02:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.