PDA

View Full Version : The Secret Sauce of Blizzard

RobertoOrtiz
06-07-2006, 05:32 AM
Quote:
"1991, the internet didn't exist.
That is to say, it did exist (and had for some time), but to the majority of Americans it might as well have been a huffalump until the creation of the World Wide Web in (approximately) 1992, when the internet would begin to become both widely understood, and easy-to-use (therefore "of interest" to most people).

Yet in 1991, the internet (such as it was) was neither widely understood nor easy-to-use, which is why the prospect of playing games on the internet may have seemed like a good and bad idea simultaneously. On one hand, nobody was doing it yet - it was a virgin market; on the other, nobody was doing it yet - the risks were terrible"

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/48/3

Njen
06-07-2006, 07:04 AM
The article failed to mention another key ingredient in the success of Blizzard, and that was the success of Starcraft in South Korea. To date, Starcraft is still played by millions of Koreans and the gaming channels still hold Starcraft tournaments.

THe fact that Blizzard nurtuted South Korea's love affair with that game, rather than treated South Korea as a coincidental side effect, helped catapult them into the bursting Asian market. By being so popular in Korea, Blizzard was able to refine it's operations to launch into the juggernaught of China, and it's been chugging along ever since.

My stay in Korea for 4 months earlier this year revealed that almost every adolescent boy I knew about, had played WoW. Simply amazing...

aaron111
06-07-2006, 09:30 AM
----
--------

P_T
06-07-2006, 12:21 PM
Good article and interesting point on the employees burning out being in such a long project.

Oh look, I still have Blizzard's Justice League SNES cartridge too!! :bounce:

Nichod
06-07-2006, 12:53 PM
I'm still hoping for a Starcraft II thats based around the WC III style. But doubt it will happen :( RTS seems to died.

pixelmonk
06-07-2006, 04:26 PM
I'm still hoping for a Starcraft II thats based around the WC III style. But doubt it will happen :( RTS seems to died.

There's RTS games still coming out. check out gametrailer.com and weed through some of the trailers for some RTS love.

Artbot
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
There's RTS games still coming out.

Yes! Like ours:

http://www.gametrailer.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2765

"Supreme Commander" was voted Best RTS of E3 last month.

P_T
06-07-2006, 06:42 PM
That Supreme Commander sure looks real good, really tweaked my interest in RTS and that hasn't really happened since Total Annihilation. Dawn of War came close, too bad you could only play as Space Marines.

I'm really curious about the control scheme for such a big army in Supreme Commander, can you give us a bit of hint Artbot? I could see you start with a construction bot and build structures, that part is fairly standard in RTS.

Another thing is, I will be able to play different sides like Warcraft right? the differences in technology for each side is wasted if I can only play one side like DoW.

pearson
06-07-2006, 09:00 PM
The article is an interesting history lesson, but doesn't really give much insight into their "secret sauce". The strike teams seem to be the only notable part.

:shrug:

Artbot
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
That Supreme Commander sure looks real good, really tweaked my interest in RTS and that hasn't really happened since Total Annihilation. Dawn of War came close, too bad you could only play as Space Marines.

I'm really curious about the control scheme for such a big army in Supreme Commander, can you give us a bit of hint Artbot? I could see you start with a construction bot and build structures, that part is fairly standard in RTS.

Another thing is, I will be able to play different sides like Warcraft right? the differences in technology for each side is wasted if I can only play one side like DoW.

The control scheme is truly an innovation and is really seamless. Control of forces is about the same as a standard RTS (menu commands, waypoints, etc), only you can seamlessly zoom all the way out to the world view to move between battles. Of course, the units become just dots at the zoomed-out scale, but it's a cool way to move between battle fronts without having to wait to load anything. And it has dual monitor support, to boot!

And yes, you will be able to play as any one of the 3 factions.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/supremecommander/index.html?q=supreme

CGTalk Moderation
06-07-2006, 09:33 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.