PDA

View Full Version : Races of Middle Earth - Character - Gamoron

Gamoron
01-11-2003, 05:11 PM
This is gonna be fun. C'mon guys and gals, lets do some work that'll send all the other artsites rushing to their computers to create some wicked shiat!

OZ
01-13-2003, 04:07 PM
:buttrock: :beer: :cool:

Cant wait to see ur new creatioN!!!!

Tommy Lee
01-13-2003, 04:15 PM
Yeah dude...show us what ya got!!!!!!:buttrock:

Gamoron
01-13-2003, 09:54 PM
Where I started...

Gamoron
01-13-2003, 10:32 PM
This where I think I'm going...

Rumored to be one of Middle Earths oldest inhabitants, Eidiff is a solitary creature. Fighting the darkness in his own way, he is rarely seen, and mistaken at times for a very large Grizzly bear.
It is said that he and others like him roamed Middle Earth in a more primeval time, when the great forests were untouched. That when Morgoth arrived, he created a deep hatred within them for anything evil. They may have been there during the destruction of Thangorodrim. It would explain the disappearance of all save him.
He fought Sauron and his orcs, hunting them at the end of the second age, and killing stray bands of orcs afterward and to the end of the Third age. After the destruction of the One Ring, he was never seen in the Fourth Age. Then again, he was rarely seen by anyone prior to that.

I'll be reworking this too.

Tommy Lee
01-13-2003, 10:38 PM
Yeah..CREEEEPY..some sorta Yeti-creature.
I like it.. has much character to it.:thumbsup: :buttrock:

Till the next update dude:beer:

Kirt
01-14-2003, 11:37 AM
Yeah Gamoron! :bounce:
I love the buggered up teeth on the creature to the right in last sketch! Nice! Although in the first sketch page the top right and middle creatures had a really good feel to them as well. Hope to see something more refined soon. :thumbsup:

Gamoron
01-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Thanks Kirt. I hope to really get something dramatic out of this guy. Try hard for that dramatic lighting in this one. I'll need you critin away.

Cheers!

dobermunk
01-14-2003, 04:27 PM
oh man! Nice lines!
That figure in the middle seems like the perfect mixture of intelligence and beserker! For me anyway, fits great with your description.

Slacker
01-14-2003, 07:52 PM
...and Gamoron creates.. something mean...

:wavey:

Carlocki
01-14-2003, 09:01 PM
I Like it when has a scarred face
when it seems defenseless

Gamoron
01-15-2003, 03:48 AM
:beer: I create nice pictures too! It's not just guys like this. And he is a good guy. He kills orcs anyways. I'm not sure what he'd do to men. Tom Bombadil scratched him once behind the ears I think. I think... :D

Tommy Lee
01-15-2003, 04:00 AM
Some update on the way?:D

Canīt wait to see mor, because I love ya style!!!!:love:

Cheerz buddy:beer:

Slacker
01-16-2003, 01:35 AM
lol Gamoron. Got it. Good guy, big teeth. :D

Gamoron
01-16-2003, 04:17 AM
I guess this can be an update. Working with layout...

Tommy Lee
01-16-2003, 09:09 AM
Wow.. this will be a great background:thumbsup:

Gamoron
01-16-2003, 02:25 PM
Thanks Tommy. I gotta work on it some more. The rock behind Eidiff isn't supposed to be all that big, but I'm not sure how to bring it in without making it look like a mountain.

Tommy Lee
01-16-2003, 07:39 PM
My opinion is, that ya should work with DOF... But its your image!!!!:beer:

Carlocki
01-17-2003, 12:09 PM
a good equilibrium in the background

Iguiniz.X.
01-17-2003, 04:59 PM
Looking great,:beer:

Although my first inmpresion was that he rock was a mountain.
You want it to give it a big rock look, right?
Well I think with a object or animal which would give a size reference you could make the rock look less big.
And the second thing is that in the front of the image you got really dark countours of leavs ( a bush or some) this gives great depth in the image This makes the rock look really far awyas.
Far away>>Rock must be BIG>>Mountain.

Gamoron
01-17-2003, 07:06 PM
Well I was screwing around with the layouts some more and I realized I got work on him some more 1st.

but anyways here's the layouts.
I want to encorporate a cave troll into it, hopefully somewhere out of view, but so you know its there.
http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Eidiff-update-working-2.jpg

http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Eidiff-update-working-3.jpg

http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Eidiff-update-working-4.jpg

Slacker
01-18-2003, 02:08 AM
I like the second layout the best, but it would be difficult to tell much about the creature & that wicked face of his. :thumbsup: Looking good.

Tommy Lee
01-18-2003, 02:48 AM
The second one has most atmosphere. Just get the troll a little more outta the image and ya creature bit more to the middle..that would do the job I think.:beer:

Tom

Gamoron
01-18-2003, 04:12 AM
Alrighty then, I'll go with the second one, and work on it some more. Unless something better pops out...
Cheers guys!

Tommy Lee
01-18-2003, 04:32 AM
I have an idea of a title for the pic: "Highnoon in Middleearth-Antartica"
LOL...Cheerz buddy:beer:

Gamoron
01-18-2003, 05:52 AM
LOL! Just gotta add in the specially made elven six shooters!:beer:

Tommy Lee
01-18-2003, 03:26 PM
Dīoh!..I mean hey...:beer:

Canīt wait to see more:bounce:

Bruzundanga
01-18-2003, 04:48 PM
Wow

let's begun an ice ring battle on something like this...

the cold ring
the ring to freeze them all

Mine creature lives in the cold mountains

Let put them to fight!!!!

Round One!

hehe

Nice drawings.

Will you draw that corpses in your scene or not? I was wondering about some orcs deads in the snow of my scene

:airguitar

Gamoron
01-18-2003, 07:01 PM
Cage Match!

Yeah there's gonna be a orcs lying dead or dying around him. With this Cave troll looming there. But the scene takes place in the south end of Mirkwood. So no snow.

Atleast that's the plan for now.

Cheers!

Bruzundanga
01-18-2003, 07:18 PM
oh

I thought you moved your creature to the snow lands

because of the colours of the last backgrounds

haha
nevermind

I'll do the dead orcs also

lots of orcs to be killed, and mine creature's clave is waiting for blood

maybe some urukhai (is it wiritten that way?)

regards

Gamoron
01-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Update. I going with this and leaving out the Troll. I think.

Tommy Lee
01-19-2003, 07:21 PM
Yeah.. now thats perfect... great mood.:applause:

For myself I think..THATS IT BUDDY!!!!!!:bounce:

Laters:beer:

dobermunk
01-19-2003, 08:30 PM
I liked the mirrored setup, but the image already reeks of greatness! Looking forward to it!

Gamoron
01-19-2003, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys! :blush: Hopefully I'll update again later tonight.

Gamoron
01-20-2003, 03:20 AM
Update,
Block Colouring
http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Eidiff-update-working-6.jpg

Close Up:
http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Eidiff-update-working-Close.jpg

Hope you like it. I'm happy so far.

dobermunk
01-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Droool.

Pancreas
01-22-2003, 11:13 AM
Great! :thumbsup: Your final composition is the best! Great lighting too, nice mod. The creature pose is very nice, backwards but looking to the viewer, i like the way heīs reclined over his knee, you dont know what hes thinking about: elven psychofundamentlaism utopic? should i ask Pooka the troll out? whats this itching felleng behind my ear? :D
:beer:

Gamoron
01-22-2003, 02:26 PM
Cheers!

@Virtuoso - Thanks dude. I think I've bitten off a lot with this one. I'm not the greatest with lighting. But I gotta learn!

@dobermunk - I surprised I made you drool. Miesehase looks funny! Stuble makes him look like a lush.

@Pancreas - He's really shy and not very sure if Pooka is just leading him on. She's kind of a slut. Also, I'm curious what method did you use to make eyes at your website? There's nice gradation in them.

I've got to change his name. I just realized I used Eidiff for another character. So I 've got to rename him. Thinking about it...

Tommy Lee
01-22-2003, 07:46 PM
OMG... thats looking so good. I love ya pic...We have a firstplace entrie in here I think!!!:thumbsup:

Great... canīt wait to see more:drool:

Gamoron
01-22-2003, 08:12 PM
:blush: Cheers Tommy. The only way I'd get 1st place was if someone destroyed your computer with your file on it. BTW, if that happens, it wasn;t me.

Tommy Lee
01-22-2003, 08:25 PM
LOL...shut up buddy. You are an fantastic artist and I hope that we do something together soon.

Cheerz Gammo:beer:

Gamoron
01-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Update. I've started to bring out the fallen orcs, and some details. I think the new name for him will be Ohrmor'nohr. Try growling it out like a bear or tiger and you'll have the way he pronounces it.
http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/ROME-update-working-7.jpg

Cheers!

Tommy Lee
01-23-2003, 12:08 AM
WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!:bounce: :thumbsup:

Gamoron
01-23-2003, 06:11 AM
Well here's an update. I'm changing his mouth. I like cartoony things, but its not what I wanted in this image. I felt the other mouth didn't look right. I'm also going to limit my palette a little more. I have to many colours going here and its ruining the image I think.
Cheers!

Tommy Lee
01-23-2003, 11:16 AM
I think that the colors were perfect. Superb colorpalette. The new mouth...I donīt know. The faceexpression of the one befor was better, more like:"What is this dude thinking,..Iīll better get away!!!"
But thats personal.
Looks great anyway.:thumbsup:

Cheerz bud

Tom

visualboo
01-23-2003, 02:02 PM
Looking Nice bud. I think I agree with Tommy though.

Gamoron
01-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Really?!? You guys heard of Cerebus the Aardvark? I thought he kinda looked like him before the change, with just that one area of his mouth opened up. I'm gonna think on this one some more. I'm my worst critic.

Tommy Lee
01-23-2003, 06:37 PM
WHO??? Never heard about it!
Btw.. as longer I look at the last one I am sure(damn sure) he lost muuuuuuuuuch of character on his face. Sorry dude, but the first was better. Something is missing now. I think its to animallike now. The spirit of intelligence isnīt there anymore. The thing ya think:"Oh man, thats no beast.. it has feelings,..could be hurt deep in his heart."
Think about it

Anyway damn great piece, good enough for the first place.:thumbsup:

Cheerz buddy and donīt take my crit to close.
Laterz

Tom

Gamoron
01-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Okay, I'm still not sure, but I'm trying something out here. I think the closeups change everything... but I've closed his mouth completely here. If I'm trying to portray him as a "not bad guy" I guess this works.

Tommy Lee
01-23-2003, 08:56 PM
Yeah baby...thats it..the special thingy is back. Just one thing and then Iīll shut up. Let him look in the camera again like in the first pic. Then all comes back for sure.
Super dude:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cheerz Buddy:beer:

Gamoron
01-23-2003, 09:13 PM
Tommy Lee, you are now the official 2d Challenge Replier! LOL.:beer:
Cheers bud, will do.:buttrock:

Bruzundanga
01-24-2003, 12:28 AM
TERRIFIC

just what i can say

you can say i'm a replier too, haha

no time for finishing this challenge
:annoyed:

just to see
just to reply

great works and drawings

:thumbsup:

Gamoron
01-24-2003, 12:44 AM
hehehe. No I said Tommy was the CG replier because I see his replies everywhere. I think he's replied more time then all of us combined. Which is a good thing,
Cheers

http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Ohrmor'nohr.jpg

Update. I'll fix the ey Tommy, he is looking at the camera, but the shading and the compression is ****ing it up.

PS. Bruzundanga, why haven't you updated?!?

tmt
01-24-2003, 01:00 AM
Yeeeah, nice colors, warm feeling :) And I wonder why ppl aren't making any comments... Why are the threads for? :/

Gamoron
01-24-2003, 01:10 AM
Cheers tmt. I'm getting comments but maybe its like what my parents always said, " if you have nothing nice to say don't say anything at all.";)
I hope nobody thinks I was complaining. I just thought its funny with Tommy. No worries.
:buttrock:

Kirt
01-24-2003, 02:14 AM
Well, it's already been established that Tommy has too much free time on his hands. Look at his thread ... the guy not only draws a lot in one day, but he's a babbler.

blah blah blah - heheheheh :D

Looking good Gamoron. One question though, is that his leg lifted up under his chin and in front of the arm? It maybe a tad too high if it is. Looks like he's high-steppin'.

Gamoron
01-24-2003, 02:28 AM
Yep, thats his leg. Thanks Kirt. I've been debating about it, but wasn't sure if I'd change it. I'm my own worst critic. I'll fix it thanks dude.:thumbsup:

Gamoron
01-24-2003, 05:00 AM
last update for a bit. I've been listening to parts of the Soundtrack for inspiration.

http://www.orbofday.com/images/temp_images/Ohrmohr'nohr2.jpg

Kirt
01-24-2003, 09:12 AM
Yeah :thumbsup: This is turning out to be one of your better ones I think. Nice unity of colors on it now and the leg looks much better.

Bruzundanga
01-24-2003, 11:24 AM
:thumbsdow

Lots of work this month
paiting a lot of things in a lot of diferent places (i'm still a free lancer)

That's why I don't have had time for this challenge

but i'm always keeping an eye on your works

don't mind
keep up

Love your color pallete

btw
where's all dead bodies??
won't you put 'em?

Gamoron
01-24-2003, 03:26 PM
@Kirt. Cheers! I'm really happy with this one. Especially after your crit. By changing the leg I changed his back and now I think he's better proportioned and has a mor massive feel.

@Bruzundanga. Bad news. I was hoping you'd finish it. Hopefully you can at least get it done after the challenge. I still want to see it complete. I've put four orc bodies in there but maye they're not readable enough. I'll see about fixing it.

I've tried to keep to a greyer palette like the film and John Howe's works on Middle Earth, but I want to make some warm colours pop more. Maybe in another image though.

:beer: :beer:

Tommy Lee
01-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Nothing to crit no more...damn...lol!!!!:thumbsup:

Your CG Replier

Tommy Lee

Gamoron
01-24-2003, 05:54 PM
Cheers Tommy!:beer: I hope you'll still post here though!

Tommy Lee
01-24-2003, 06:18 PM
For sure buddy:beer: :wavey:

wildsheepchase
01-27-2003, 02:13 AM
Really nice pic....I love the painterly quality:love:

Gamoron
01-27-2003, 02:54 AM
Cheers WSC! Yours is lookin fantastic too. I'm trying pretty hard with this one.:thumbsup:

Royal
01-28-2003, 12:24 AM
Sorry for not commenting on this sooner, I really dig what you have going so far, I think this will be awesome.
The lighting in the scene is cool :bounce:
I'll save my crits for when it's needed I think
:wavey:

Gamoron
01-28-2003, 12:32 AM
Hey... Cheers Royal!:thumbsup:

Virtuoso
01-31-2003, 09:27 AM
Wonderful work Gamoron......beautiful colors,you are an "ARTIST".................:beer:

Gamoron
01-31-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks Virtuoso. I've still got a little bit to go on this. Your words mean a lot.
Cheers!

Gamoron
02-04-2003, 07:21 PM
Just to keep this thing alive, and so I don't have to fish around for it in the last 20 days thing. Anywasy not an update. I'm hoping to get back at this. I've got my first ever concept contract job for one month and they plan on working me to the bone. Hope to post stuff from that some time, and of course finish this. Maybe this weekend. Looks to me like this is the biggest 2D challenge yet!
Cheers!

Tommy Lee
02-05-2003, 08:08 AM
Congrats Buddy:applause:

Carlocki
02-06-2003, 02:30 PM
I try to said but i'm not sure of the result
maybe there be less difference, in contrast terms, between the lighted and unlighted parts of creature's body
anyway a great piece
a mood of a '700 landscape picture

Gamoron
02-19-2003, 11:05 PM
Well I think I'm done with it I went to make some changes and only added some highlights. Its a stepping stone and I'm happy with it.

http://www.cgchallenge.com/entries/6024/24_large.jpg

Frinsklen
02-20-2003, 01:24 PM
wow, really nice one, I specially like the composition.

I'd say that his back and in general the dark areas are slightly too dark, just to be a little picky acually... :)

Gamoron
02-20-2003, 02:36 PM
hmmm. Well thats a good crit. I wanted a strong contrast between the darks and lights in this image, maybe I went a little too heavy. I still have some time before the challenge ends and I think I could find the time to do it.

Cheers!

Carlocki
02-20-2003, 02:47 PM
really good nothing to critic

Gamoron
02-20-2003, 03:37 PM
Cheers Carlo thats the nicest thing anybody has said yet.:thumbsup:

P.S. I love everyones comments though.;)

Alice
02-20-2003, 05:48 PM
it realy is a nice pic,
a border and some information about the pic would wrap it up just fine :)

OZ
02-22-2003, 10:06 PM
A M A Z I N G ! ! ! ! :eek: :eek: :eek:
U ROX A LOT MAN!!!! ur image is pure paint marvel!!! ....ok...u are a master......!:applause:

Carlocki
02-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Gamoron
Cheers Carlo thats the nicest thing anybody has said yet.:thumbsup:

Is what I Really think

Slacker
02-24-2003, 12:40 AM
very nice gamoron :thumbsup:

Gamoron
02-24-2003, 02:22 AM
Cheers guys! I'm happy with it. Would almost like to start a new challenge, this one has been going on forever.

wildsheepchase
02-24-2003, 06:51 PM
Another great entry from you:buttrock: There's so many awesome pics in this month's challenge. I think you handled the background especially well.:arteest: I love the color palette you used too.:beer:

Tommy Lee
03-01-2003, 07:11 PM
1st place...not more not less....:thumbsup:

Cheers maestro:beer:

Tom

Gamoron
03-01-2003, 07:35 PM
Cheers Tommy! It'll be a tough one this time! So many good entries.

Tommy Lee
03-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Yeah buddy...but you have one of the best!!!! I mean that for sure!!!!!:wip:

Cheerz Gammo

Tom

PS: May ya send me a large version of ya creation. Would love to have it:bounce: Here is my e-mail addy: tommy.lee@chello.at

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.